chutingstar

Vigil II PSB-5, Affects Cutters DOM 12/07

Note: AAD has released a Product Service Bulletin, PSB-5, which affects all Vigil II Type 3 cutters manufactured in December 2007.

These cutters are to be replaced at the next scheduled inspection/repack for each affected Vigil II owner.

See the three attachments for more info.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

:)
IMO for Safety reasons it shoulld be done before NEXT JUMP !!!

It could be in Sport, Tandem & Students systems - your Personal & Public Safety are effected.

I would not wait for the next repack which could 180 or 360 days.

Keep in mind that more effected cutters from same batch might be there even the cutter mfg. & AAD are saying it was one case only.

I wonder why AAD states next repack ????

Owners, Riggers & DZO's take an action - SAFETY before $$ / Euro / others.

Be Safe !!!

i got vigil II from 2007 week 51 (that's dec as i counted :D)
/can't see its # on the given list/

thanks to reserve ride in sep, rigger that agreed to pack it for next week, noticed that cutter needed to be changed
..as he said, if needed, vigil might have not worked properly..

so as RIGGER said, better not to wait for next repack

"This occured on the 19th September 2009 in Cerfontaine (Belgium)."

"With this scenario, the knife was not able to do its job and stayed in its original position without cutting the closing loop."

I don`t know if I`m reading it correctly, but does this mean that someone went in in Belgium because faulty cutter?
dudeist skydiver #42

The skydiver opened his reserve low by pulling the ripcord.

The Vigil fired but the action did not cut the loop but pushed out the cutter wires away from place like fired backward.

The PSB-5 better be done before next jump.

Be Safe !!!

If the skydiver went in I'd say it was due to lack of pulling on time, but this incident highlights the fact that one must never rely on their AAD to pull for them! Does anyone know how the AAD manufacturers test their cutters? In the bulletin posted they mention that they tried out a cutter and it did work. So if you test a percentage of cutters from each batch you still might not catch a fault like this!

-Michael

Note: AAD has released a Product Service Bulletin, PSB-5, which affects all Vigil II Type 3 cutters manufactured in December 2007.

These cutters are to be replaced at the next scheduled inspection/repack for each affected Vigil II owner.

See the three attachments for more info.

Mike

Thanks very much for posting this.

Mike, the next few questions aren't really directed to you, but if you or anybody else can answer them, I would love to hear.

I checked on the Vigil.aero website, and I didn't find any mention of this SB. Did I miss something?

How is the average rigger supposed to learn of these things?

If it wasn't posted here, I still wouldn't know about it.

Another post mentions a rigger knowing about the problem and changing the cutter at the time of a repack.

How did that rigger know?

Was the information available somewhere?

Is Advanced Aerospace Designs sending information to a select group of riggers, ignoring the rest of us?

If there is such a list, how does one get on it?

If the skydiver went in I'd say it was due to lack of pulling on time, but this incident highlights the fact that one must never rely on their AAD to pull for them!

of course it was because he pulled late. does everything has to be spelled out here?

Still, AAD did not function as it was supposed to, and manufacturer recommended replacing it on next repack?! Manufacturer claims that this is an isolated incident and poster above me says that he had similar problem on his rig. Come on?!
dudeist skydiver #42

i didn't saw it as i left it far away from home and don't know that rigger personally

as we spoke he told me it's second vigil II from 2007 he found with fault cutter; don't know if that second one was from dec.
i don't have fault cutter as it needed to be sent to get one working properly
i only know that one part of cutter was convex

The link has nothing to do with the case in Belgium.

The cutter was splited into 2 parts:
1.Cutter body with the empty hole = the knife did not moved.
2.The cable went out of the cutter body like was fired out.

As I said before - check the lists & if you have an effected Vigil / Ty.3 SS cutter DO NOT wait for the next repack !!! Replace BEFORE NEXT JUMP !!!

The link has nothing to do with the case in Belgium.

The cutter was splited into 2 parts:
1.Cutter body with the empty hole = the knife did not moved.
2.The cable went out of the cutter body like was fired out.

As I said before - check the lists & if you have an effected Vigil / Ty.3 SS cutter DO NOT wait for the next repack !!! Replace BEFORE NEXT JUMP !!!

I never said that the page I mentioned had the PSB-5 information.

In fact, I specifically said that it did not.

The fellow wanted to know where I found ANY information about the PSBs on Vigils.

I found them at www.vigil.aero/official-statements.

Became aware a few weeks ago of this SB - but was advised it was in 'Draft' form and that the real one was still to be issued, so was requested not to promulgate.
After a number of requests to AAD, still did not receive the PSB-5, but first became aware from this site! (Thanks Mike) This despite the fact the the distribution list states Federations.

Vigil SBs that we are aware of are posted at: http://docs.apf.asn.au/index.php/Service_Bulletins
Have requested from Vigil a copy of PSB-4 (have been advised there is one), with no luck at this point.

riggerpaul, well found. Thanks for your help.

I never noticed it as I am sure many others didnt due to it being hidden away from all the other links and menu's on the page.

I wonder if this is intentional or just an oversight on their part? :P

I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

riggerpaul, well found. Thanks for your help.

I never noticed it as I am sure many others didnt due to it being hidden away from all the other links and menu's on the page.

I wonder if this is intentional or just an oversight on their part? :P

I don't even really remember how I found it.

I think a page below the "official-statements" page may have come up in a Google search.

I bookmarked "official-statements" at that point so I won't forget.

Glad I could help!