ailithir

can't arch properly

Many people have suggested practicing your arch on the ground, but I would guess that they are half (or less) your age.

Arching on the ground is far more difficult than arching in the air. During the jump you will have wind pressure helping to hold you in a hips-down position. Without this pressure, the position is much more difficult to hold, and it's not uncommon to see 20-somethings fatigue quickly during the first jump course while working on their body position.

I would reccomend that you work on your flexibility in general, using some basic streches. Trying to focus on the arch itself from the start may lead to a strain in your lower back, which will only put you further behind in your progress.

Improving your overall felxibilty will help with your skydiving in general in terms of fitting yourself into, and manuvering around inside of the plane. It will also help to prevent injury in the case of a hard landing.

I think you'll also find that your arch will improve on future jumps based on being able to mentally relax more in freefall. The first jump can be a tense situation for anyone. Your instructors may have mistaken your age or flexibility issuse for a simple case of average first jump jitters.

In reality, you only need a very slight arch to be stable. The hard arch they teach in the first jump course is overshooting the ideal, taking into account that a student may actually only perform to 50% (or less) of what they are taught once they are up in the air.

Good point and post Dave,
Im 30 and pretty fit and have an advantage in terms of age for sure.

Maybe for the OP it would be worthwhile doing some pool work initially?

Where its gentle on your body but you can really get some stretches going in safety.

Often, local fitness gyms have classes for various age groups in the water. This might be an area for you to look at.

Persistence will be the key and if you want to do it you CAN do it :)

Stretch, and then for the idea of he arch drive your hips forward like you are having sex with someone

This makes sense. Also, I know that it may be unrelated, but you should try yoga. It really helps you become more flexible, and there are a lot of backbending postrues that can help you strenghten your lower back and spine. It's a little bit out there, but it is worth a try. It also may help you relax and learn some breathing techniques.
Carpe Diem!

My dad is in his 50's and sometimes has trouble arching enough. the dzo showed him a way to practice at home to increase his flexibility. lay on the floor on your belly and put your feet on the edge of the couch and then practice your arch. hold 10 sec rest 10 sec repeat 10 times a night. Or take yoga I'm sure that would help too.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I've purchased a big exercise ball and signed up for yoga.

Just be careful doing yoga. You know your body better than your instructor so be sure you don't overdo any stretches. If you injure yourself doing that you'll put more of a damper on your skydiving.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

You know, I'm about 25 years younger than you, OP, and I can't arch properly either. I've done 3 jumps towards AFF, I'm stuck on the second jump (cat B) because of that problem (and because the DZ has gotten weathered out, I've had other things to do that have kept me away from DZ for a while). So I'm not so certain that age is a valid reason for your instructors to tell you to consider quitting.

All in all, I think you're getting good advice here, and I am going to take advantage of it, too!

I just want to wish you the best of luck--I hope you get that A license and eventually jump with your son. I want that A license to prove to myself that I CAN do this (I never, ever in my life considered learning to skydive until last fall sometime) as well as to be able to jump with the love of my life.

Age is a question of mind over matter... if you don't mind, it doesnt' matter! Hang in there!!!

Good on you. So long as you're able to land safely, i'd say stick at it for sure.

I am a semi-regular yoga goer, but my arch sometimes leaves something to be desired cause most of my jumps i freefly:P.

What i mean is, i'm flexible but a good technique (and a good arch) comes with hands-on practice. The flexibility will help, but getting up there is the best way to improve.

Wind tunnel option sounds expensive but i'm just speculating, might be better to put that money into your AFF jumps?

Go for it. Good luck.:)

I'm 55 and I don't bend easily anymore either. When I first started jumping it looked like I was strapped to an ironing board. I practiced arching in a swimming pool...for me it worked like a charm. Before you jump take a deep breath and RELAX, RELAX, RELAX! It'll get easier.

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

I also struggled with this arch thing. My problem was my instructor was giving me the straighten leg sign all the way down when the real problem was i wasnt arching hard enough. He said imagine the having sex thing and i reminded him that i have a 8 week old daughter and i dont remember what sex is....

I am also a flat flyer, broke myself a few years ago and cant bend my hip very well.

What I learned is to modify my arch. Instead of doing the classic lying on the ground and raising your legs and arch to practice an arch, try the following:

standing up at first, roll your hips forward as far as possible (push out your hips) once you have gone as far as possible, stick out you gut (if you have one) this will give your torso more of a ball shap on the front.

once you can do that with your torso, add your arms and sweep them back while raised above your head, make sure to look at the ceiling.

Its a lot easier to explain in person but I basically arch with my stomach (its not huge as I am skinny), add to the arch with my arms and legs, but my hips are flat.

If you want further help, PM me with a picture of your arch and we can work on it.

Cheers.
Downsizing is not the way to prove your manhood.