jenmeeks

A study: HIV and skydivers???

I am a graduate student studying groups of people and the dynamics in each group. Rather than focus on religious subjects, I decided to study skydivers. Why? I did a tandem jump one weekend for my friend’s birthday, and that is how I picked my subject. I immediately noticed the closeness between skydivers and how they all seemed like family. It was very interesting to sit back and observe skydivers. I have since been to three other dropzones and have observed the same special closeness at each one. The last one I visited (so far) I stayed for an after-jumping party and ended up talking to many people. One man I spoke with (who was intoxicated) indicated the HIV epidemic among skydivers was especially high compared to the rest of the population. That statement brought me to all of you, the dz.com members. I would like to gather responses on this. Is the HIV rate higher among skydivers? I was surprised at his statement and would really like to find out if this is common. If you don’t want to post feel free to pm me. I do not need names or any real specifics – just generalizations. If any of you can help with this study, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Jen

Hi Jen,

Honestly, anecdotal information that you are looking for isn't going to give you any real information worth basing a study on. You'd have to poll hundreds, if not thousands, of skydivers, basically with a yes/no question. Do you have HIV, yes/no? Only by compiling this data, taking into account the people that don't answer, then finding the statistical incidence of HIV in the skydiving population then comparing that to the general population can you really get an answer.

To complicate things, you have to take into account any racial or gender influences on the skydiving population, as well as economic and educational levels. The skydiving population is very skewed toward males, it isn't an inexpensive sport, so you aren't going to have very many skydivers that are below the poverty line.

You'll probably find (and this is also completely anecdotal so worthless information ;)) that skydivers are more often white, male, educated, between the ages of 18-40 and not poor. All factors that would influence the incidence of HIV.

What would be your best bet is to come up with a completely anonymous questionairre, send to all skydivers willing to participate in your survey with the condition of total anonymity, no identifying factors at all, then compile the data. If you are very serious about undertaking this project and making it one worthy of a graduate research project, you could contact USPA for some help in getting the word out that you are looking for volunteers to participate.

I'm sorry to make things so much more complicated than you expected, but I was a grad student and had to produce publishable papers, so know what really goes into them to make the project worthwhile.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Thank you for the useful information. I failed to mention that the HIV aspect is not the main focus of my project. It is just one component under health/social issues that I would like to include (or not) based on general observations/conversations. At this stage, my project is not based on hard facts, rahter it is a study on group interaction and dynamics within the group. Most of my project will be my observations only and a lot of those observations will be formed through my contact with skydivers. It is more a social study than anything else. I guess I was surprised at what the man said to me because of the socio-economical aspect of skydiving. I think many studies have been done about HIV and the correlation with socio-economic relationships.

Thanks again! You know your stuff!

Jen

Yes, there are a lot of studies with regard to socioeconomics and HIV status. You'll find more data out there than anyone could go through in a lifetime on this one ;)

Most people don't advertise their HIV status, even to their own doctors sometimes. So I'm not sure where the guy was coming from on that one. Methinks it's more a drunk guy spewing idiocy than anything else.

If you're going to publish your paper, just make sure that you do have the hard facts. Editors go throuh your study with an extremely fine tooth comb before publishing. I only tried to get published twice, both times had the papers accepted, but it took a lot of fine tuning and work on both.

Good luck with your study!!

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

When we renew our USPA membership every year, there is a survey attached to the form. I found the results from 2002 online here. I thought that might be able to help you compare age/sex/occupations/region with other AIDS stastics that you gather.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"One man I spoke with (who was intoxicated) indicated the HIV epidemic among skydivers was especially high compared to the rest of the population. "

I really wouldn't be too terribly surprised.

REALLY REALLY scary though.
Be CAREFUL people!

I don't know about HIV/STD but I can assure you that skydivers have a long history of mental instability, alcoholism, low moral standards and a general lack of goodness. We also fart a lot!
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I don't know about HIV/STD but I can assure you that skydivers have a long history of mental instability, alcoholism, low moral standards and a general lack of goodness. We also fart a lot!

And we wouldn't want it any other way!!! :D:D

Hi JM

Have tried a search on DZ.com the subject of HIV/Aids has come up befor.

As far as the group dynamic's at a DZ IMO need to do a long term study, like years not just weeks or month's.

R.I.P.

There have actually been studies done on skydivers. The one that I read was quite interesting.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Are you sure he said HIV and not AIDS? AIDS in skydiving stands for Aviation/Altitude(your choice) Induced Divorce Syndrome.

-Blind

If he said AIDS..meaning the acronym you described then THAT ONE is definitely prevalent in our "community".