eightate8at8

From a Sabre 150 to Stiletto 150..

Do you guys not see that I'm using my resources and learning?

I think it's great that you're seeking information and are not moving to a stiletto. I think what has some people worried are statements like:

"Too bad I'm smart and won't be getting hurt."

And:

"I understand dude, I don't think you have to take it that far."

And:

"I can handle a 150 perfectly"

Because similar statements are often made by people who don't appreciate the dangers of skydiving, or think those dangers are exaggerated, and, as a result, don't take enough precautions and then end up getting seriously injured or dying.

Just because other people have said similar things and then died doesn't mean that you will get hurt or die. It's perfectly possible that you are an exception to the rule, or that in actuality, even though you make statements that raise the hackles on the necks of people who have been around a while (of which I am not one, by the way), you are actually a safe skydiver. It's also possible that you're not -- I have no idea, having never met you, and being enough of a newbie that my judgment on your skills would be mostly worthless anyway.

But I think what people are reacting to is a perceived attitude that you should move on from this canopy to another canopy because you're already proficient on your current canopy, or because it's hard to pack. And a perceived attitude that, after 30 jumps, you already "know" that you can handle your canopy perfectly in all situations.

If that's not actually your attitude, then I think a lot of this criticism is misplaced (though understandable). If it is your attitude, then I hope you re-read this thread and really think about it.

No matter what, it's ultimately your life, your body, your (and your DZO's / S&TA's) decision. Good luck!

Haha, k..

I'm not stupid. Thanks though!

Alot of you guys have great advice, how about you give it in a less-asshole of a way?

Every single one of you was in my same exact position, especially if you listen to yourself saying that all new jumpers are idiots. Just sayin.. we aren't all the same.

I apologize for trying to learn. Sorry my thread title had a mistake in it using the term stiletto..

I definitely don't think I was in your position because a.) my dropzone would have never put a level 4 AFF on a 150 anything, and B.) I definitely was not trying to jump or was even remotely interested in a Stiletto at 30 jumps. (and I won't be... probably ever) So, no. We're not quite all like you.

I really do wish you good luck, but the reason why people are coming off as ass-holeish is because they have talked to people like you before, asking the same questions, and then they end up a wet spot. It gets kind of old through the years. So see it from their shoes since you are wishing they'd see it from yours.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Why doesn't everyone just crack a beer and relax

You can relax when you're dead and your family can crack a beer in the parking lot at your closed casket funeral.

Talk less, listen more, lose the attitude and you might be okay.
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

It's the assholeish comments in this thread that brought out the asshole in me! Why doesn't everyone just crack a beer and relax

There wern't amy assholish comments ive seen mate just people telling you to calm the fuck down, because they've all seen loads of people like you that are "smart" and "better than your average" but still do themselves damage and even die due to the fact they know (think!!!!!) they're "smart" and "better than your average"!!

You've got 30 jumps, you don't know your fucking ass from your elbow, let alone your navigator from your sabre or how they fly. So listen to people with more experience than you and understand that it doesn't matter how "smart" you are or how conservitavely you will fly the canopy. When you get into that situation where you cant fly straight in or have to turn closer to the ground, You will wish you had more experience on a bigger canopy let alone your own size canopy!

Get on a canopy course asap at least, before you do youself some damage and end up giving skydiving another bad name in the news. >:(

I know ive got low jump numbers and have been around for only 2 years but have seen many people like you already, but the majority realised what they were like and are still jumping. At least one i can think of at the moment is in a metal cage, (traction) permanantly at the moment and has been for the last year. (at 31 jumps:o!)

You guys are understanding me wrong. I'm not as ignorant as others. Think what you want. I'm done with with thread :P

No one is as ignorant as others! thats what everyone thinks when they first start out!

Tell us what makes you any different?

Just let this to rest people.

It really doesn't matter what he does, if he piles himself into the ground or whatever, as long as it's not on your dropzone and not endangering you...

Most people best learn from their own mistakes, it's our human nature and it ain't gonna change, ever. The important thing is people told him the right thing to do, the rest is up to him, all we can hope is, if he does pile in and survives, you can say "I told you so" and then he will most likely learn.

:)

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

You guys are understanding me wrong. I'm not as ignorant as others.

Ooooh, nobody realized you know all of the others. Now that we know that, we can trust that you know what you're doing. We shouldn't have assumed that you were comparing yourself to people you've never met and know nothing about.

So if you're so smart, why didn't you know a stilleto was an inappropriate canopy? You learned that here, you didn't know that before. What else do you not know? Unfortunately, you don't know what you don't know. But at least you're not ignorant.

Dave

This must be a troll.

I've never seen anyone with such a ridiculous attitude in my life.

I'm going refrain from a large outburst, I've read some silly threads on DZ.com over the years, but this one takes the cake.

You have 30 jumps, take a step back and listen to the people in this thread, it's not a majority telling you to slow down.... it's ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!

Actually I'm starting to think he is just a guy who asked a question and got his back up. Now he has no intention of backing down and has even upped the bravado. I hope so.

So what? Up-thread, I noted that people who are reckless in one regard tend to be reckless in others. Well, same goes for immaturity and pointless stubbornness. If he survives to be a sky-god, he'll be "that guy" who's never wrong on the jump. Fuck that.

This must be a troll.

I've never seen anyone with such a ridiculous attitude in my life.

I'm going refrain from a large outburst, I've read some silly threads on DZ.com over the years, but this one takes the cake.

You have 30 jumps, take a step back and listen to the people in this thread, it's not a majority telling you to slow down.... it's ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!

And I'm fucking listening dude. That's what I posted for in the first place, for the reinforcement of the idea. You guys are oblivious to the fact

And I'm fucking listening dude. That's what I posted for in the first place, for the reinforcement of the idea. You guys are oblivious to the fact

This thread has very little to do with canopy choices now.

It's about your attitude to canopy flight, which is potentially dangerous to others.

Everyone can suggest conservative canopies and while it may contribute to your safety, ultimately only you can change your attitude.

You need to go back and reflect on your comments such as "I can handle "x" perfectly", "I know I'm capable of handling more then others", "no, no incidents here", "I've been learning before I even did a tandem", "meaning there is no room for me to improve".

Don't be so defensive.

If you are already on a 150 just jump the stilletto and be careful your a grown person who can make his own decisions you know people get all bent out of shape over these questions. Talk to your instructor and have at it. Lifes short have fun and be careful.

...Says the man jumping a Heatwave 135, a elliptical canopy at 1.4WL, at 185 jumps...yeah, great advice. Do everyone a favor and don't post safety advice, because like the OP, you don't know what you don't know.

If you are already on a 150 just jump the stilletto and be careful your a grown person who can make his own decisions you know people get all bent out of shape over these questions. Talk to your instructor and have at it. Lifes short have fun and be careful.

...Says the man jumping a Heatwave 135, a elliptical canopy at 1.4WL, at 185 jumps...yeah, great advice. Do everyone a favor and don't post safety advice, because like the OP, you don't know what you don't know.

Who do you think you are? Opinion police? All O can tell about your profile that you are a safe-ass. More jumping, less bitching! I used to be a dead man walking here..... :P