Evelyn

Scared about jumping a new DZ

I've only ever jumped at Perris. I'm really looking forward to the Chicks Rock boogie at Elsinore, but I'm worried that I won't find the landing area, etc. Does anyone else have this same kind of jumping at a different DZ anxiety?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

You'll have NO PROBLEM at Elsinore. Very easy to spot. I always ask a ton of questions about landmarks to look for when jumping at a new DZ. Elsinore should be no problem for you.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Evelyn, please relax. It will be just fine. If you are having anxieties about spotting, then ask someone else to help you spot. OR ~ do what Michele (I think) does...go for an observer ride first. :)
Btw, I HAD to go to a new DZ after my initial DZ shut down at jump 14. :| I went from a tiny DZ to Perris, which is huge. I didn't feel very comfy, but when I went to Elsinore for the first time not long after Perris, I felt totally comfortable. I was completely by myself, too. If I can do it as a student, then so can you, sweetie. ;)

Also, the Elsinore staff is very supportive, like family or parents, and they will help you with any worries that you may have. I feel that they really nurture and care for us as we grow and develop into better skydivers. It's like a big dropzone with a little DZ vibe. You'll love it! :)
Btw, perhaps you can go there before Chick's Rock, just to get a feel for the place. Come out to Perris on Saturday and maybe we can talk about it some more. :)

Thanks Rosa. Yeah, everybody tells me how Elsinore is so friendly, well except for MJ who was banned from jumping there, but we won't go there, I'm not doing his camps anymore, not for that reason, I just wasn't getting as much out of them as I'd have liked. Anyway, I am hoping my new rig comes soon and I can do a jump at Elsinore before the Chicks Rock boogie.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Not to worry.... my first jump at Perris was like a mile out to the end of the runway.. found a nice big field and swooped it;)

When I came out of the Industrial HAZE... there was no way to get back even to the dike out there.. I mean I was WAY out...

I jump at lots of DZ's and I always look for outs as soon as I am in freefall..

I like to do a solo on the first jump someplace new... and I kinda broke my own rule at Perris for a DIZZIE DOT COM load:S

Wow, I guess I took for granted being able to spot landing areas from the sky, since before I jumped, I had pilot training experience. (It also helped for canopy flight and landings!)

I'm sure there are people to talk to at any DZ for a newbie to get tips from. I remember being new at Clewiston, and after checking my logbook and reserve data, Lisa took a few minutes to show me aerial photos of the DZ and explain the landing areas! They don't do that everywhere? They did it for me at Sebastian, too! Pahokee was a no-brainer... that was where I began skydiving and I had been flying there for practice from West Palm Beach a lot already. If I couldn't spot that LZ from the air, I'd have to be asleep or something! I knew it cold.

Just don't be afraid to ASK people, that's what I figure is best. No point in getting into the plane if you have lingering doubts. Anyone who would make fun of you, give you a hard time, or think less of you for asking for help spotting the LZ is not worth worrying about what they think! Get your answers, and get confident before you jump there. Good luck.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I've only ever jumped at Perris. I'm really looking forward to the Chicks Rock boogie at Elsinore, but I'm worried that I won't find the landing area, etc. Does anyone else have this same kind of jumping at a different DZ anxiety?

Best to go there someday before the boogie weekend if it bothers you. I went out on a weekday in September when it was nice and quiet. Between the map available online and the people, you'll be fine. It's much roomier downwind then other places I've visited.

that might be the advantage we have at our club, not to be able to jump 2 weekends in a row at the same place... In 2 years I jumped at around 20 different places with the club, plus with some other clubs or dz's, which makes a total of around 30 different place... And sometimes you just jump once at a place and move on to another one... Always nice to take the plane and jump at 8 different places in a day...:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Never had new DZ fear as I went to 5 different DZ’s during my RAPS training alone. Not exactly great for progression but has meant that different planes and landing areas have always been second nature to me.

I have the same number of jumps as you and I’ve jumped at 13 different DZ’s. I have holidays already planned/booked to 14,15 and 16. I also just did my first (:D) demo last week into an area that had never seen parachutist before and was surrounded by hazards and had no outs.

You will breeze through jumping at Elsinore and wonder what you were worried about. It’s a huge landing area – just take your reference point from the chuffing great lake, there can hardly be an easier landing area to spot. You’ll have already seen an aerial photo of the DZ and guess what... the DZ looks just like the photo.

:)
It is an excellent idea to visit new dropzones....B| and the more you do that.. the more you'll want to continue...There is nothing like completing a deployment and looking down to a totally new airport, runway and landing area...You will become comfortable ,, very quickly...
... Be sure to determine NORTH.... shortly after you arrive,,, then orient the runway,, look carefully at the aerial photo... check the wind direction and speed
( including the Uppers) keep all that information in mind as you climb to altitude,,, and look out the window during the flight;)...ask any of the locals if you need to locate the DZ.
..Meet new people,,, have a chance for people to meet YOU,,,keep a smile on your face,,,skydive safely.... You'll make some friends, and continue building your confidence,, and you'll log some jumps at a new place...at some point " the hatchling needs to fly" ! hahaha
The air is the same and the ground is the same and your abilities are probably up to the challenge,, so go and have fun :)

Elsinore is an awesome DZ. You'll have no issues finding the landing area nor the big "X" that they have for a marker. And, there are a ton of outs. Michele, Shark, and a few others here on DZ.com can help you out and calm you down. You'll enjoy every second there. The scenery is, also, gorgeous! Mountains on both sides and a lake - beautiful!!! :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Me too.

Time has told me it's just fear of the unknown. Same as a different aircraft - 2 secs out the door it matters little what you rode up in!

I look at the pics, watch the patterns, listen to the briefing if there is one, and land out if I need to.

I'll be in Eloy in December - checking out that airspace. Scared. But I'll hide it well!

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I travel to new dz's all the time. I'm always a little nervous about finding the landing area too.. so what I usually do is (after looking at an aerial photo of course), pull about 500 feet higher than the rest of my group and let them set the landing pattern. That allows me to put myself in the landing pattern just a bit higher than them and I have canopies to follow.

If you're doing a 4-way or something, just tell them that you want to pull a little bit high, and ask them to track off from you and let you pull in the center.
Works every time!

Have a great time at Chicks Rock! B|