Tiger6513

Altimeters

I read through the forums and gear reviews and most info is dated. I am in the market the best value priced Altimeter **New** not used. I seem to have come across analog Altimasters most commonly at the 3 DZ's I've been to... is there another I should consider before I just pull the trigger. Thanks
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

Please note my limited experience.. but what I've read/seen/heard so far is that if you get an L&B or altimaster you'll be set in terms of product quality and astonishing customer service, end of story.

I had an N3 given to me by my special ladyfriend as a birthday present. The charging mechanism was goofy. Jen at Altimaster was prompt with replies on what to do. I ended up sending it back. They emailed to say it was received today. I'll update on what happens, but there is no doubt in my mind that I'll be taken care of.

From what I've read on L&B, their customer service is just as above and beyond.

The Altimaster III (Galaxy) is an excellent altimeter. It's durable, accurate and comes with a glow-in-the-dark face. You can choose a colour (if you like). The best thing about the Altimaster is the first-rate quality of the instrument and the great CS you'll get if you ever need it.

I'm not a rep, paid promoter, etc. Just a 24-year satisfied customer.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I've been using the Galaxy since after AFF. I wouldn't want anything else on my wrist (not a big fan of batteries)
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

The Altimaster III (Galaxy) is an excellent altimeter. It's durable, accurate and comes with a glow-in-the-dark face. You can choose a colour (if you like). The best thing about the Altimaster is the first-rate quality of the instrument and the great CS you'll get if you ever need it.

I'm not a rep, paid promoter, etc. Just a 24-year satisfied customer.

Ok thats cool where is the best place and the best price to find one... I know a few of you guys on here sell these things feel free to PM me!

where is the best place and the best price to find one...

You can get one from any dealer - the cost shouldn't be that different from place to place. You can try ParaGear, Square One, Karnage Krew, Aerostore, etc.

Blues.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Ok thats cool where is the best place and the best price to find one.

They also show up used on the classifieds fairly often. Unless you have one that's been used in a student operations (e.g., more likely to have been abused), used Galaxys are going to be just as good as new (they might have a few scratches, but who cares) at a fraction of the price. I own two, both bought used, for a total cost of less than one brand new (it's nice to have a backup to loan out if anyone needs it).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thank you I have been looking on ebay and here I see them from time to time it's just hard to trust the internet sometimes when you see a "stock" photo and they tell you its used. I'll try to keep an open mind though

Thank you I have been looking on ebay and here I see them from time to time it's just hard to trust the internet sometimes when you see a "stock" photo and they tell you its used. I'll try to keep an open mind though

Yeah, if you're going to buy something new, an altimeter's not a bad choice since it's one of the cheaper items of gear that you'll buy. I bought one of mine on here and one from a local friend who is getting out of the sport - both were as promised, though of course the one from a friend could easily be checked out before I committed to it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've been using the Galaxy since after AFF. I wouldn't want anything else on my wrist (not a big fan of batteries)

And you know this because you've used both? Heaven forbid your batteries go out in a skydive(or for that matter your analog dial sticks)...I guess you'll just have to "go in".[:/] Have a plan, stick to it in the off chance your alti(digital or analog) goes out, and you'll be fine...It all comes down to what is easier for the individual to read, and that is it.

Edit to add: I would almost rather have a digital alti go out on me...because it would turn off, and Id know instantly something was wrong...but with an analog, when they go out, you could never know until it was to late, due to mis reading your altitude.

For the OP, don't rule out digis right off the bat because you think they are too advanced for you, its an altimeter, it tells you your height, just like any analog, but it happens to log altitude, speed, ff duration and opening height too.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

And you know this because you've used both? Heaven forbid your batteries go out in a skydive(or for that matter your analog dial sticks)...I guess you'll just have to "go in".[:/] Have a plan, stick to it in the off chance your alti(digital or analog) goes out, and you'll be fine...It all comes down to what is easier for the individual to read, and that is it.

For the OP, don't rule out digis right off the bat because you think they are too advanced for you, its an altimeter, it tells you your height, just like any analog, but it happens to log altitude, speed, ff duration and opening height too.

-Evo

Aren't I the evil one for not liking to manage batteries?

I've had to use Alti-2s a few times and they have stuck on me, so the issue is not unique to any type of altimeter. I just like to use durable mechanical devices when I can (this goes for paintball too). They're less susceptible to water, can still be read if the lens breaks, they're cheaper to replace when broken, and my brand spankin' new Galaxy feels good to wear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting an electronic altimeter one day and would prefer a number on an LCD over a needle on a dial. But when I get an electronic one, it's going in my helmet.

There's no need to explode because I don't want one on my wrist.

Goosfraba.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

Sorry, didnt mean to come off that harsh, it just gets annoying seeing over and over people down digis because either

A they have never used one, or

B for some reason they think they require more skill to use, therefore making alot of new jumpers shy away from what they really want.

All is well, blue skies!

-Evo
Zoo Crew

I appreciate the "old school" alti but I haven't even had the pleasure of wearing that one yet. Most have been the newer version and slightly less bulky.

If worn right they are not that bulky. And you can see them in a track.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

...B for some reason they think they require more skill to use

Hmmmm...
Tell me how often batteries die and I'll tell you how often a Galaxy "sticks".

I like the fact that I can tell my altitude more easily with the analog simply seeing which way the needle is pointing rather than actually having to focus and read some numbers on an LCD screen that may or may not be visible depending on viewing angle and sunlight.

We've all had a lifetime of training on reading a clock face.

But alas, I have two better altis....eyeballs.

For the OP....as mentioned earlier, get an Altimaster Galaxy Glowface to start with. It will serve you well for a long, long time. The electronic gadgets can come later.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239