highlee369

Chute size for new jumper.

I was the one who mentioned 2/3 standups after downsizing last weekend and let me explain why that is awesome based on my past.

Using the 170 for AFF (jumps 1-8) and solo (jumps 9-14) I had ONE stand-up landing - that's 1/14! I could feel the lack of response when flaring and had issues finding its sweet spot. Last Saturday, my first jump of the day was again on the 170 and an almost standup, but finished with knees/legs to the ground. I followed that with 3 jumps on the 150 and had 2/3 standups and it felt amazing. Swirling groundwinds haven't been helping though.

I fully understand why you would state that opinion, but not only did I improve my landings, but I feel more control with the 150. My DZO wants me to think about a 135 soon which I feel is beyond my safety level now and I won't be jumping that until I have more experience with the 150.

These are rental rigs and yes it is stressful wondering if I'm going to slide in or standup. My reviews are "you should flare earlier, flare later" and that sweet spot conversation. Maybe a 170 on ~130lbs was a little too low wl, and this will allow me to actually fly the damn thing instead of it flying me.

Edited for more info

Like many things, it's a game of odds.

Spin the wheel enough times and you'll eventually come up craps.

The thing is, if you hold back some of your chips...when it does you can still stay in the game.

My opinion on proper canopy size for me is simple, can I land it down wind and not get dirty...sure it's a balance of both skill and wing-loading, but that criteria has kept me injury free for almost 35 years in the sport.

My opnion in regard to seeking advise on subjects like this over the internet is equally as conservative.

By very wary of those urging you to push the limits of what's generally accepted in regard to safety and progression.

They don't know you and they're not paying your hospital bills.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

EDIT: I'll make it easy for you, here is the first sentence of the first post I made in this thread:

Talk to your instructor.

What I was trying to say is:

Antonija, you raise excellent point wich certainly merit discussion but you're doing it in the wrong thread

Now let's shake hands or have a beer.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

They don't know you and they're not paying your hospital bills.

Unless "you" live in the US and don't have insurance. Then "they" (we) will pay your hospital bills.

Wheee - speaker's corner here we come.....B|

Good point...all the MORE reason not to encourage pushing the limits for a n00b! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~