1 1
andyhughes

Lone Star (construction) manual - online

Hi,

For some time I've been trying to track down the Lone Star (construction) manual so that i can put a electronic version of it on-line. I've had no luck so far, hence my post.... does anyone have a lead that i can follow-up regarding the location of a copy?

This would be an awesome document for riggers and jumpers to understand canopy construction a little more, not to mention its historical significance. I'd really like to get it "out there" and prevent it being "knowledge lost in time" (if it isn't already....).

p.s. I maintain the UKSkydiver.co.uk rigging section - hence my interest in getting hold of this.

I thought I would mention that I just came in possession of a Lone Star Parachutes Builder's Assembly Manual with the four audio cassettes. I know this is something that many people currently want to see and in time I will scan the manual. I will also convert the tapes to mp3 format. Unfortunately, this will not happen for a few months because of some work commitments that will take up my time and make it impossible for me to do this before that.

I have scanned the copy of the manual I have but there are several other copies that have been online for a while. There are a couple of different versions of it as well.

I have focused more time on converting the audio tapes to electronic files and happy to say that is done. These have not been available before. I just have a few things to do to clean them up and then I will make them available online. I have listened to all the tapes and it can be helpful depending on skill level.

I may have found a Lonestar canopy as well. I will have to inspect it and determine if it was one when I get sometime. The canopy in question is a home built of the era.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mark said:

The manual is copyrighted.

Of all the copied media out there, I don't think this is very high on the list for tracking down those sharing it.

But it does beg the question: (which might be answered in some other Lone Star thread somewhere)

Who is behind Parakit Inc., of Georgetown Texas, who copyrighted the Lone Star manual in 1985?  Are they still around? Or are relatives still selling the manual or hanging on to it to sell for millions down the road?  I'm guessing not.

Reference - link from a friend - it's on the Internet Archive! --     https://archive.org/details/lone-star-parachute-assembly-kit-scanned-manual

Sure has some good practical detail on building a canopy, even if an old fashioned one.

46 minutes ago, pchapman said:

Who is behind Parakit Inc., of Georgetown Texas, who copyrighted the Lone Star manual in 1985?  Are they still around? Or are relatives still selling the manual or hanging on to it to sell for millions down the road?

Kevin Gibson claims to have the galleys, and he led me to believe the copyright holder is still alive.  I couldn't find an email address or phone number for him, and he didn't respond to a snail-mail letter I sent.

You're right:  I've not seen a better manual for an intro to sewing for riggers.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:15 PM, pchapman said:

Of all the copied media out there, I don't think this is very high on the list for tracking down those sharing it.

But it does beg the question: (which might be answered in some other Lone Star thread somewhere)

Who is behind Parakit Inc., of Georgetown Texas, who copyrighted the Lone Star manual in 1985?  Are they still around? Or are relatives still selling the manual or hanging on to it to sell for millions down the road?  I'm guessing not.

Reference - link from a friend - it's on the Internet Archive! --     https://archive.org/details/lone-star-parachute-assembly-kit-scanned-manual

Sure has some good practical detail on building a canopy, even if an old fashioned one.

Thank you so much! You have made my day!

• Like 1