bigway

Is this the perfect size container?

All this debate about buying new or used got me looking over the past year or so for what i think is the PERFECT time to purchase a new container when looking at it from a financial side with value for money.

I think it is a the Micron-V308.

Here is why....

It takes an Optimum 143. or a PD 113 for those who want a smaller reserve.

It then takes a Safire 2 139 main canopy.

You can then downsize to a 129, 119 and then a 109 safire 2.

At any stage you could then go to a more HP canopy from a Crossfire 2 139 all the way back down to a crossfire 2 109.

Then you probably have a couple of thousand jumps on this, or even many years of jumps on this and then once you are over jumping a crossfire 109, you can then switch to a super HP EXtremeVV 104 and later downsize that to a EXTreme VX 99.

All the time while having a Optimum reserve 143 in the container. Of course you could also take the reserve down to a smart 110.

After selling a stack of rigs over the years I like to try and help customers with the most financially vaiable rig to purchase, and I am not affraid to turn a sale away for them to buy a second hand rig. There are a few people in these forums I have done my best to talk them out of buying new. But if a customer came to me looking for a second hand rig for a 139, I think i would have to suggest buying whatever they want second hand but buying this container the V308 custom made to fit them is a damn good vaiable container to purchase.

Starting at a 139, all the way down to a EXTreme 99. I seriously dont think 99% of people would ever need to buy another continaer again as this helps them on the 139 at that 500 jump level and sees them for the rest of their days in skydiving with a single container that is made to fit them.

Most people who buy gear dont give two shits about the size of container, they all want it to fit the canopy they have now and at least take one size smaller and it would be a bonus if it took two sizes smaller.

I know they are only incriments of 10ft, but a 10ft difference is much bigger difference than a 20ft difference fro a 210-190.

Just thought I would share this as I find it interesting.

For those tiny ladies or small blokes, that start straight off on a 149, they could hire a rig for that time while they had a V-308 made for them and then go down to the 139 and they would never need a rig again.

For those that say nobody should start on a 150, well fact is MANY people do under their instructors careful thoughts and the instructors that i know have suggested this, also backed it up with tons of coaching and helping on every landing. Those customers were around the 56-60kg mark.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Have to agree on these thoughts. I ordered a V306 with an Optimum 126 from a shady guy over the internet ;).

It holds a Nitro 120, a Crossfire 109 as a downsize and different sizes of various HP canopies like a Velocity as well.

I think, as long as I keep liking the colours, I won't need another rig for a long long while.

It's a good post you have there and I agree with you. When I'm asked the same, I recommend the jumper to get a rig that their canopy is in the upper edge.

I've done the same, but I wanted a big reserve, so I've ended up with the 343. That's what I like with the M series, the reserve and main is independently designed. I now hold a smart 150 and a Velo 103 in it. When I get the money for it, I'll replace the smart 150 for a OP 176. I don't think I'll drop under a 103 at all, or at least not in the next 2000 jumps or so. I'm 230lb out the door.

But with a Velo 103 and a OP 176 I believe that I've got the best from both sides.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

So that container costs you around $2600 USD max with all options you want.

For someone buying that to put a safire 2 139 in it with the hopes of becoming a HP pilot., lets say they do 3000 jumps on it.
it works out to about 86 cents per jump. Even though you could probably do 5000 jumps on it if you go from saf 139 down to saf 119, then to cross 129 down to cross 109, then to fx 104, then to fx 99 and then stay on that for a couple of thousand. hell you could probably get 10K jumps out of it.

I am not saying all Vector 3's are this financiall viable, i just think this is the perfect size container for someone to buy brand new at that stage as they would never need to buy another container.

If you buy a container made for a 190, then in most cases this container will only last you up to 500 jumps if that before you go to sell it.
I mean, most people with 500 jumps are already on a 150 or a 135/129.

V308 is what I believe to be the most financially viable contianer there is......I am sure some other manufacturers make the same size container that will be just as viable, but i dont believe there is more than two others who are in the same ball park of build quality as the micron.
The build quality of the micron is one of a kind and to know that or differ with that you would have had to have at least had a look of an empty brand new micron.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

My logic when purchasing the V308 was:
I've made 600+ jumps on the XF2 and will probably be looking for a new, most likely smaller toy in say 400 jumps time, and as you pointed out there's plenty of room for manoeuvre with a V308.
Owned a G4 previously which i personally think is of equally of good build as the V3 but i wasn't at all happy with the harness sizing MOS built for a balding midget! [you know who you are] who failed to tell me the container wouldn't be made to my measurements or the spec supplied with the original order.

Now very pleased and proud of my new V3 minus skyhook [never had a rsl equipped rig and prefer to remain self reliant when it comes to emp's] not a great reason i know but thats me:P

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

I know this is an old thread but i just got a V308 (from Bigway) and an OP143 with Safire 139. They are super tight and not that fun to pack but packing sux anyway! The rigger packed the reserve short and fat to give as much room in the container as possible for the main and its fine. Best part is this WILL be my last container ever like he said, not the best business plan for return customers but great for me :ph34r:

I dont believe there is more than two others who are in the same ball park of build quality as the micron.

Just curious BigWay, what other two manufacturers do you think have similar build quality? I figure you deal with containers on a daily basis so you might have a reasonable opinion.