hayfelix

Which Container?????

I'm new to skydiving with 56 jumps to date. I'm looking to buy my first rig and have canopy ideas already. Where I am struggling is which container to buy, there are just so many. Can anyone recommend a comfortable, well fitting container? I have read about the Javelin Odyssey and thought it looked good, anyone have any expereince with this container? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry Im planning on buying new

go try on as many different rigs that you can and see which one is most comfortable to you, you will hear as many oppinions as people have assholes to your question...try javelin/mirage/UPT/ etc etc etc. just make sure whatever container you decide to get, make sure its free fly friendly.
IHYD

Don't waste your money on something that will be hard to sell. I guarantee you'll be ready for a new container in a year or two. That means the Racer is out and most of the cheaper rigs. Stick with something more mainstream like a Vector, Javelin or Infinity. The Icon is a really good rig too but is still up and coming.

Felix, go and speak to Maddy at your dz mate. You have a great gear shop there that will allow you to demo all the good rigs.

She will match any other prices in the UK and she is there to measure you and let you use the demo gear so you can play around and see what you like.

Anyway, have a yarn to Maddy, she will do everything she can to help you out and she has a great payment plan available.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

One word..... Infinity.... [B]floating[/B] laterals ;)

I just recently got to jump my new rig for the first time - an all brand new Infinity with new Aerodyne canopies - and I couldn't be happier. Seeing as I ordered new, the Infinity fits like a glove, and just looks and feels great. Pretty solid construction. I got the bells and whistles, and it didnt' break the bank. The ONLY gripe I have is the lack of a Skyhook. Granted, I don't really have experience with other containers besides what I see around the DZ, but I still think the Infinity is top-notch. For what it's worth.
I'll be whatever I want to do!

To all the people who jump into every single thread when people ask about specific containers and say "buy a Racer! Jump Shack will send their chief rigger to your house to hand-massage your scalp for the entire wait period. RACER RACER RACER!", I admire your enthusiasm for the product, but Felix lives in the United Kingdom.

Leaving aside the fact that he was asking, specifically, about Javelins, would you advise him to look at the container he intends to buy up close? Maybe try one on? Talk to some people who own it? Live near riggers who have experience with packing it?

If you would, and it's probably a safe assumption that even the most one-eyed zealot would be with me there, then please shut up about Racers, because there aren't any here. I reckon I've seen exactly one, in four years of regular jumping all round the country, and that one was not a modern example.

Felix: Talk to Maddy. All the new containers are pretty good.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I had same dilemma few weeks back. After doing some info digging online and around DZ I figured I'd want to have _something_ that has 3D foam (almost all modern rigs have this option) and skyhook (only javelins and vectors have them; and apparently some icons). Javelin mfg time is 27 weeks. IMO that is waaay to long to wait so I went for vector.

The best advice I got when choosing my container was: "Pick things you really need to have (skyhook, mag. riser covers, pop-top reserve PC, etc.) and make a list of containers that offer it. Then pick the prettiest one." :) I guess the point was that all modern containers will be safe for jumping and of good quality, so just pick the one that has everything you need and looks good from your perspective.

P.S.: Had Sunpath have normal mfg time (10+/- 5 weeks) I'd go for javelin.

EDIT: corrected infinity typo.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

skyhook (only javelins and vectors have them; and apparently some infinitys).

And Icons bigger than I4 (ie., sized for canopies 150 132 or larger).

I didn't know that about the Infinity, that's pretty cool.

[edit 2: It was a typo, never mind, Infinity is still a really nice container.]

[edit: Oops, check size chart then open mouth]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Lots of good containers out there, usually it comes down to which one you think looks good, price and time to delivery.....

So I'll avoid brand advocacy which is really tiring on these forums and talk about features.

I really like -
cut in laterals
full articulation (all the rings)
fully covered risers and bridle
freefly pud not a hacky (I don't like how hackies flop around)
tabs (not velcro)
narrow chest strap (YMMV)
step in, not snap leg straps

no comment on cosmetics - YMMV

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The best advice I got when choosing my container was: "Pick things you really need to have (skyhook, mag. riser covers, pop-top reserve PC, etc.) and make a list of containers that offer it. Then pick the prettiest one." :)

Can you please tell me why you REALLY NEED to have skyhook, mag. riser covers, pop-top reserve PC???
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen