freeatlast

Anyone know Luke Scaber?

Hi Guys

I've just read a posting in the classifieds section claiming that this guy is running a scam (user name lucek1234)

So my first question is does anyone know him?

He says that he used to jump in Deland but has moved to Chicago although he still has a brother who jumps at Deland.

If anyone knows and can give him a reference please contact me either here or by PM if you'd prefer.

I'm about to buy some gear from him and would like to check before parting with any money.

Many thanks

James

I don't know the guy, but there have been quite a few reports of scams as of late, and I have a suggestion for everyone.

Get your head out of your ass and.....(just kidding).

Here's what I did when I bought my Velo - I had the seller ship it directly to PD, where I paid for it to be inspected. This made sure that the canopy was for real, and that I knew the condition based on the opinion of the manufacturer.

The seller can feel good because he sent it to PD for an inspection. They would only return it to the seller unless he told them otherwise. Once the inspection was complete, an e-mail to PD explained that there was a pendign sale, and that it would be shipped to me on the sellers approval. Once he had the payment in hand, he cleared the canopy to leave PD and I had it a few days later.

It cost me a few bucks for the inspection, but most people would have to pay a rigger to do this anyway. I also had to pay another leg of shipping to get it to PD, but that was a small amount.

It's not a perfect, fool proof system, but if a seller actually has the gear, in as-advertised condition, I would be surpirsed if they would go to the trouble to ship it to a manufacturer for an inspection only to collect the money and have the item shipped back to them.

If you're buying a complete rig, say a Javelin, I would guess that if you shipped it to Sunpath the rigger who inspects the container could also have a look at the canopies. They would have to unpack it inspect it anyway. Granted, you're going to pay for this, but it worth it.

Freeatlast-. His ads seem pretty strange if you look closely.

The guy registered on dropzone.com in 2007.
However, he purrchased this rig for himself in 2005.

Most people would have registered on dropzone.com by then.

But the real thing is, how many skydivers can buy a rig and keep hold of it for nearly 5 years without putting a single jump on it or without selling it.

nobody would let the rig depreciate in value like that if it is sitting around for five years unjumped.

Dont know the guy, never heard of him but i would be careful, just because of what is said in the advert for the mirage.

Send Ward an email and ask him if he has a customer with the name in his records and send a photo of the rig and see if it adds up.
Or if you have the serial number send that to mirage and ask him who owns it or purchased it new like this guy claims he has.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Hi Dave

thanks for your suggestion - that's a great idea, however it is difficult sometimes when you are on different continents.

I have bought gear from people on and off for the last seven years without difficulty.

I am checking the facts BEFORE sending most of the money as someone has specifically posted a negative comment about this person.

The strange thing is that the same user seems to have been sellling items in the classifieds for months now - so it's either a case of an upset customer (which is easy to verify with a couple of references) or he's scammed several people and no-one's reported it until now.

Either way it should be easy to clear up ...

Hi Gary

sounds like he's put up another advert ...

The one i replied to was for a Javelin and seemed ok - he even phoned me and we had a conversation, but there's something which doesn't quite sound right.

Luckily i have only paypal'd a small deposit and have already put that on hold until i'm sure one way or the other ...

Hopefully someone will say 'he's fine' - otherwise i'll get my money back from Paypal in 30 days time ...

I have been speaking to him for a few emails in the last hour. here is his most recent reply.

I only say I am in the states for simplicity, and so people dont think I am scamming them, which I am not, and so they dont think the rig is coming from Poland when it is in the states. Please dont have you criminal investigator friend report this as I want to stay on dropzone. I would have been kicked off long ago if I was scamming, but understand where you were coming from accusing me and all. So are you interested in the rig or did this whole ordeal scare you off?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

and another.....

Holy crap so you have been tracking me for a while now haven't you. Did you actually talk to anyone that bought a rig from me?? They could have told I a wasnt scamming anyone. I only lie about unimportant things like where I jump at and all. Have you talked to the guy sailing from New zealand to San diego that supposedly wants to buy that rig?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

As stated earlier this was just sold on ebay the day before it showed up on here for sale.:S

The strange thing about the ebay sale, the person acted like they had no idea about skydiving gear and called Sunpath for info. Maybe stolen gear.

Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy

If the dude is indeed a scammer, it would be nice to know.

and if he's not, it'd be good to help clear his name.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If the dude is indeed a scammer, it would be nice to know.

and if he's not, it'd be good to help clear his name.

Wendy P.

Well i am working hard to establish what the exact truth is at the moment.

The purpose of this post is simply to find out who this guy is and whether the gear being sold is genuine and not an elaborate scam ...

If anyone else has any information please pm or email me ...

Thanks

James

it definately sounds like a scam to me, from the info i have gathered from you guys, no reason to buy something from someone this sketch and be worried the entire time until you get said object when you can keep looking for a little bit and find someting from someone that you can easily call a DZ and ask them about the person.
IHYD

I almost bought a rig from this guy in August. He answered any questions I had about it.

I sent him $50 via paypal for shipping the rig to my DZ. The rig arrived from an address in NY. The rig arrived with all the added stuff the ad said it would have. The rig was what was advertised. It was brand new. It was too big for me.
I shipped it back to him. (actually, he wanted me to ship it to the next prospective buyer, but I sent it back to him at his address in Florida.)

It all seemed legit to me..... but I am just a newie....

I eventually bought a rig from another person here on dropzone.com. Same procedure.

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that I have become a bit famous here on dropzone. I would like to clear everything up because clearly you have a lot of questions. I am indeed a skydiver who has about 50 jumps and I did my AFF in deland. My brother Dan Scaber still lives and jumps in Florida but I have moved back to Poland and have been here for about 6 months (hence the polish ip address). To answer the question on the top of all your lists: I AM NOT A SCAMMER!! If I was then I would not be on dropzone.com since 2007. I have sold many rigs here and all have been succesful transactions. I usually ship to the persons dropzone first before they pay for it so how could that possibly be a SCAM!!?? I recently sold a 2006 javelin to [email protected]. I sent it to his rigger Goki at skydive long island. Call goki if you dont beleive me. Another guy i sold a wings rig to is [email protected] from california, I think. I sent it to his dropzone as well, only after inspection did he pay me for the rig.

You may be wondering how do I send these rigs out if I am in Poland? Well its very simple, the rigs I buy online are sent to my parents who live in Lincolnwood, IL and they send out all the rigs.

Let me know if you have any questions, and if not I would greatly appreciate if could stop writing I am a scammer becuase it is not helping sales.

Also, the J3K Javelin I have up for sale is NOT stolen. I know there is an ad on dz.com that it is but it was never stolen. It was LOST in the mail when the original owner from the netherlands sent it to sunpath. The guy got reimbursed for the rig from USPS and the guy who I bought it from bought it from a USPS lost and found. I have spoken to original owner, and he knows he has no ownership rights to the rig and claims that he has tried to take the ad off emailing dz.com with no reply. So if you want a nice container then Ive got it :)

PS: Many people have tried to scam me but not one proposed to send merchandise to me before I would pay, and they usually want you to send money through western union. I cant come up with one way a scam like that would work, thats because it wouldnt

Let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them

-Luke Scaber