freeatlast

Anyone know Luke Scaber?

I'm a new jumper and I'm buying a rig from Gary. I've been searching around for a used Cypres and found one that I just purchased from, the now famous, Luke Scaber. I made an offer through DZ.com, sent payment through paypal and received it in the mail two days later. I had one concern with the Cypres, which he quickly and professionally resolved. I have no concerns about buying from him again in the future. His email reponses are quick, his pricing is fair and shipping is awesome. He's not a scammer. The guy just had bad luck with one used rig he sold. End of story;).[/;)]

To err is human, to air is human.

Liketojump just paid me for a rig through paypal that he will get shortly so just ask him if I am scamming

ok, since the seller asked...

I bought a rig, got it in, and have had a few issues. Her's a detailed account :

Ad stated "****and the cypres already had its 8 year inspection".

Upon getting the rig, I discovered that the Cypres had NOT had the 8 year inspection. Further, the advertised reserve DOM was 2002, but the actual DOM is 2000. Further, the container was made of out parapack, and though that was not mentioned, in my opinion it's something that needs to be brought to buyers attention.

My solution ? I asked for $175 refund, to cover the cost of Cypres 8 year check and shipping. Considering the purchase price of $3000, I did not think that was unreasonable.

The seller (after not responding for 2 days) has suggested "sorry to hear that the cypress didnt have its 4 year inspection but I would rather you send it back to me then refund $175"

In my mind, that's reasonable, and I asked how is he going to reimburse me for shipping the gear back. This is when things got hairy. Apparently, the seller expected me to pay for shipping of the gear back, even though he is the one who has sent me the not-as-described product.

These are the few excrepts from the conversation

[9:09:55 AM] Likestojump: callag=ups/fedex shows up at my door with the prepad label and picks up the package
[9:10:14 AM] LucasScaber: sorry I cant do that
[9:10:24 AM] Likestojump: then how do I get the rig back to you ?
[9:10:58 AM] LucasScaber: Well you can ship it to me (* addressed snipped)
[9:12:56 AM] Likestojump: and how do I get reimbursed for shipping ?
[9:14:07 AM] LucasScaber: no matter where you buy online, if you want to return something its on your cost
[9:14:24 AM] Likestojump: except for when the reason for return is through no mistake of the buyer
[9:14:30 AM] Likestojump: the item was not as described
[9:14:51 AM] Likestojump: the remedy I asked for was very reasonable - it was the cost of making it right with no added fees
[9:14:56 AM] LucasScaber: it costs like $20 to ship it man
[9:15:14 AM] Likestojump: and why should this transaction cost ME anything, if I did nothing wrong
[9:15:25 AM] Likestojump: you said you will take it back if its not as described
[9:15:48 AM] LucasScaber: thats a risk of buying online. happened to me multiple times
[9:16:17 AM] Likestojump: how is it a risk when you claim for yourself to be a competent gear seller ?
[9:16:27 AM] Likestojump: you are saying that you don’t want to be responsible for your own omissions ?
[9:17:44 AM] LucasScaber: i dont mean to be a dick. I told you everything I knew. im sorry im not a skygod like yourself and dont know if a rig is made of parapack or cordura. plus you never asked
[9:18:00 AM] Likestojump: and I am not making cordura./parapack an issue
[9:18:02 AM] Likestojump: i just pointed that out
[9:18:15 AM] Likestojump: my only problem is with cypres not having an 8 year like you described
[9:18:26 AM] Likestojump: plus, it does not take a skygod to sell gear - just knowldge
[9:19:01 AM] LucasScaber: not everyone you buy from on dz.com knows everything about there rig. mathew was 100% sure it was inpected plus i gave you the serial number so you could have checked it out
[9:19:36 AM] Likestojump: when someone who claims to be a competenet seller claims "8 year check done" - I see no reason to doubt that
[9:19:39 AM] LucasScaber: true. i should have checked it out myself before selling it to you but that was my mistake
[9:19:51 AM] Likestojump: as you remember, I did question teh container fit, and you double checked that for me
[9:20:20 AM] LucasScaber: look i will refund your money if i get the gear back. please dont make this a bigger issue then it has to be
[9:21:08 AM] Likestojump: good luck in your sales mate, if you keep down this road you may want to reconsider your ethics. Or not. just a suggestions.
[9:21:09 AM] Likestojump: BSBD
[9:21:29 AM] LucasScaber: what ethics? I am bein very ethical herwe
[9:21:43 AM] Likestojump: I suppose that's a matter of subjectivity, so let's not argue :)
[9:21:54 AM] LucasScaber: I will refund your money when I get the gear back. thats how it works everywhere
[9:22:06 AM] Likestojump: I am not arguing with that
[9:22:23 AM] LucasScaber: ok im just saying you had all the info to check the cypress out before bying it so dont blame me
[9:22:24 AM] Likestojump: i am having an issue with you not standing behind your word, and blaming the buyer for not bending over backwards to check the gear

Here's what my thoughts on Luke are :

He resides in Poland, but buys gear in the US, it seems mostly on eBay and has it either shipped to his parents house in Illinois, or has the seller hang on to it. He then advertises it on dz.com classifieds (sight unseen) and has his parents or the seller ship it to the buyer.

all fine and dandy, and even has a name for it - Brokering. The problem is that he never even touches the gear, and relies solely on what the seller tells him the gear is. This generates a problem when the gear is not as described, and Luke sees it fit for the unsuspecting buyer to absorb the costs of remedying the problem.

After this failed transaction, my opinion is CAVEAT EMPTOR - buyer beware !

If a buyer is not satisfied with the gear then I grant a refund upon getting the gear back. Thats how it is everywhere on the internet!! This goes for likestojump as well!!

I admit it was my mistake that I got something wrong with the cypres but I offered him a refund so I dont understand what his problem is. Plus I gave him the serial number of the cypres so he could have checked it as well before he bought it. I bet he did check it but didnt say anything in hopes that I would just reimburse him $175 after he got the rig so he could make more reselling it than he already will.

If a buyer is not satisfied with the gear then I grant a refund upon getting the gear back. Thats how it is everywhere on the internet!! This goes for likestojump as well!!

I admit it was my mistake that I got something wrong with the cypres but I offered him a refund so I dont understand what his problem is. Plus I gave him the serial number of the cypres so he could have checked it as well before he bought it. I bet he did check it but didnt say anything in hopes that I would just reimburse him $175 after he got the rig so he could make more reselling it than he already will.

And I would bet that by attacking me in a public forum, and betting on your assumptions you just loose credibility.

Was it not your ad that stated "Cypres had the 8 year check" ? Seems like a solid and absolute statement to me. I took it at it's face value and did not bother to check if the Cypres in fact did have the advertised service. As much gear as I have bought, I am yet to have someone misrepresent the cypres condition.
as a gear reseller, you are held to a higher standard of care and knowledge than regular skydiver. I guess you disagree

Your the one attacking me on a public forum!! Look it was my mistake. Im sorry, and since it only costs about $20 and you making a huge deal about shipping costs, I will reimburse you for shipping the rig back to me.

The thing is why didnt you complain about the cypres before you relisted the rig on dz.com with a different canopy and no cypres?? Your rediculous

To add to this thread I just purchased a canopy from Luke this last week. We agreed a price beforehand based upon his description of the gear, condition, age etc. Based upon some of the feedback/discussion here I wasn't prepared to transfer any money until my rigger had seen the gear in question. However Luke never once asked me to. He shipped the gear direct to my rigger without any up-front payment on my side (no deposit, no shipping fees, nada). The gear was shipped promptly, the condition was exactly as advertised and the price was fair market value. Once my rigger had confirmed everything was legit I made payment (agreed price + shipping).

I obviously can't comment on whatever has transpired with Luke's gear sales in the past, but my purchase was smooth, pleasant and hassle free. I'd buy from this guy again.

I have had numerous emails with Luke. I feel terrible I took part in this thread.
I would not hesitate in shipping Luke any gear without payment upfront or vice versa after the conversations we have had.
Sorry LUke.

However, to avoid this sort of thing in future, Dont lie about where you are located in your profile as that sort of thing is going to bring this sort of unwanted attention.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I would apreciate if everyone stopped writing in this thread. Seriously there is nothing to talk about. This is a closed matter and I really dont need all this attention.

Several people think there is something to talk about so it’s not your call.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Look at it from a purchasers point of view. Lets say you and another dealer have an identical item for sale. After doing a search for your user name and the other dealer you find some threads on here.

Say the dealer is someone like karnage krew who has an awesome reputation and even has posts thanking them for their awesome customer service and has many people recommend them.

Then we search your username and find out that you have negative feedback and people have had bad experiences with you.

Of the two options I would go with the dealer who has the better reputation.

Obviously your reputation has taken a hit here. Your going to have to deal with that. Hopefully the way you deal with it is to decide from now on to be the best you can be. Provide excellent customer service and bend over backwards for your customers to insure they are satisfied.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Your right and I have been doing my best with customer service except for the rough patch I encountered with likestojump. The rest of the thread are speculations about me being legit or not, and a bunch of positive feedbacks. I normally send my rigs to the customers rigger for inspection, before being paid so the customer is taking No risk whatsoever. Plus I think I offer much better prices than any dealer so there is no reason this thread should stop anyone from buying a rig from me.

First off I want to apologize to Luke for keeping this thread going a little longer even though he clearly wants it to stop. I am however hoping to add a little more positive feedback so ... too bad!
Just before Xmas I bought an Odyssey container from Luke after looking in on this thread, which was well underway by then.
Luke showed an incredible amount of patience with me while waiting for my derelict Paypal account to get reactivated. He sent the rig to my DZ promptly after I gave him a modest deposit and it cleared inspection by my rigger and DZO and I sent the balance. It was exactly as advertised and the fit was dead on. I would definitely buy from him again without qualms and would recommend him as a seller.
Now if we can just get some warm weather up here so I can jump the damn thing things would be perfect!
Thanks Luke