Freeflaw

quasar II, any opinions?

I am thinking about buying a used Quasar II with 600 jumps on it. I am unsure what to think as there is little information available on it, except for the gear-goggled happy customers review. I have just given the rig to a rigger and am now wating for the results of the inspection. I have noticed that the ring, which keeps the hip and chest straps together, seems to have a seemingly superficial crack in it. I don't know if it is a stainless steel ring or a plated ring? Is this a problem? It would seem so considering that this rougness might for instance wear on or have already worn on the material. Anyhow, I just want some info on the container. BTW, the container has the mods to resolve the original reserve pilot chute isssues. Do videos exist that show the succesful firing of the reserve pc under the conditions under which the original setup produced a total malfunction?

I can give you my opinion. I think it is a quality rig and I have put many many jumps on mine. The new mod really ensures that the reserve pilot chute will launch out into the air very forcefully. It has a very good spring loaded pilot chute. The cordura is 1000 denier and not 500 denier like some of the other rigs on the market.

Mine is comfortable and I would get another one. I have owned two quasar rigs.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

The original video was shot in my basement.;) I haven't taken 'after' video and don't know if there is any anywhere. No need in my opinion. Strong went beyond the required fix and added two major improvements. No need to worry about that issue if the mod is done.

BTW it wasn't a total malfunction as I define the term. The container opened and the PC extended. I expect that it would have cleared if enough time was available. But certainly was an inhibited PC launch.

The crack sounds like an issue. I hope you told your rigger about it and didn't assume he will find it. He should but no need to test him.

Fine rig. No reason not to consider it if it fits you and the canopies.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

\The new mod really ensures that the reserve pilot chute will launch out into the air very forcefully. It has a very good spring loaded pilot chute.

Have you tested the new setup? Any info that verifies the claim would be appreciated...sorry if i come of as rude i don't mean to be

If by test, you mean pulling the reserve handle and watching the launch. Yes I have tested it several times. I am a rigger and I always pull the reserve to watch the launch whether it be my rig or a customer's rig.

If by test, you mean have I had a reserve ride with the new set up then no I have not tested it. However, there is a video of Ted Strong testing it and the launch seemed "forceful" and it caught air quickly.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.