downtoearth

New Racer 2K3

And so what,,you and your resale value,,,youre not going to get ahaed in life or retire sooner by getting a more popular rig,,its a few stinking hundred bucs,,,damn whinners....>:(

Bro,

I can point to your "mandatory obsolescence" that you quote to be 7 or 10 years depending on the time of day you type it up.

can we stick to our opinions and not call each other names ?

OR - if you do call me names, can you at least spell Winner properly ? :D

Well... there it went... purchase order is in.
My hat's in the ring now...

While I have always liked Vectors, and my friend's JavOdy is very comfortable, I'm going to try the Racer.

Not a reflection on the Vector/clone crowd as much as wanting to extend my knowledge as a jumper and rigger...

I've heard (and REALLY listened to) strong impassioned arguments on both sides from people whose opinions I respect. Figure its time to get one and learn for myself.

The one thing I am fully expecting... 50% of my advisers to tell me "told ya so"... just not sure which 50% ;)

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Did anyone read the incident report in the Nov 2012 Parachutist magazine on page 76? Would this most likely not have happened with different riser covers?

Are we making our rigs so freefly friendly they no longer "want" to open?

could you quote that text please ? No access to the magazine
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Here is a pic listed in the article. in a nutshell they theorized the riser tuck tap failed to open causing the scenario shown in the picture, which entrapped the three ring to the point where it could not be cut away. This of course would not have happened with magnetic or velcro riser covers, a point some manufacturers including jumpshack and UPT are trying to make.

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

Unfortunately the lady tried to cutaway her main from a Wings container after her helmet got snagged in her riser, most likely her one released riser that had the RSL attached pulled her reserve pin, however even with her very fast descent the spring loaded PC did not extract the reserve canopy.

Here is a pic listed in the article. in a nutshell they theorized the riser tuck tap failed to open causing the scenario shown in the picture, which entrapped the three ring to the point where it could not be cut away. This of course would not have happened with magnetic or velcro riser covers, a point some manufacturers including jumpshack and UPT are trying to make.

One really important question pops in my head. Were the risers placed over the flap that has a warning note :" place the main risers on top of this flap".

If "yes"we are talking about a riser cover failure. If "not", we are talking about jumper failure.

And one more thing to think about. Several years ago Bill Booth made a statement that the magnetic riser covers are the only way to go and in the near future , most of the manufacturers will have them. Four years later non ( or maybe one ) of the existing designs were changed to magnets. Not only that, but one manufacturer went back from magnets to stiffeners.

A bad design is a bad design. Period. Doesn't matter if it's magnets, velcro or stiffeners.

And btw, Vector now has third generation magnetic riser covers. Apparently the previous two were not good enough.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

however even with her very fast descent the spring loaded PC did not extract the reserve canopy.

This is the problem John Sherman is talking about for some years now. Low drag reserve PC's....[:/]
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

One really important question pops in my head. Were the risers placed over the flap that has a warning note :" place the main risers on top of this flap".

If "yes"we are talking about a riser cover failure. If "not", we are talking about jumper failure.

I know of a jumper here who had a mal caused by this. Same symptom, on one side the riser cover failed to open. It was packed by a dz packer who had never seen a Wings rig before and admitted his mistake.

As far as I'm concerned this is a design flaw. It's pretty obvious that people will repeatedly make this error. Tucking the riser under appears naturally to be the thing to do. The warning label helps, but won't eliminate the problem.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I know of a jumper here who had a mal caused by this. Same symptom, on one side the riser cover failed to open. It was packed by a dz packer who had never seen a Wings rig before and admitted his mistake.

As far as I'm concerned this is a design flaw. It's pretty obvious that people will repeatedly make this error. Tucking the riser under appears naturally to be the thing to do. The warning label helps, but won't eliminate the problem.

Ken

I tend to disagree with you. I know four jumpers who have had PC in tow malfunctions because of misrouted bridles. Does that mean that those were gear design faults ?

And the low jump number is not an excuse for not knowing/checking your gear.