downtoearth

New Racer 2K3

Here a guy thanks folks for their input by proudly showing his new rig and you bring up unrelated shit ! Man , i'll bet you're smooth with the ladies too,,,[:/] by the way i see you're from the UK,,How's your teeth ? Does that make any sense in this thread ?

burn:o
AKA MG Hammer Flying Hellfish #834 Son's Of Bacon #1

at the cost of an extremely low market penetration.

Personally, they way I see it, once the "old school" jumpers stop jumping , Jumpshack will run out of customers :(

(for the purpose of this thread, lets define old school as consisting of mostly four digit USPA D-numbers and foreign equivalents)

I think what is keeping jumpshack alive more than anything is JCO metals there company that builds handles, ripcords and pins. They supply most of the industry with them. Their military contracts probably help as well.

Really once John Sherman retires the company will probably start to do a lot better. I have never met him personally but met pretty much everyone else there. My impression is that he really controls how some of the things are because he designed it and doesn't want it to be changed or it is of the nature that he tells people what they need and want. If they acted more like other companies where they listened more to the customer and gave them a product they asked for I feel they would do better. After all that is why some of the companies have grown to the size they have.

and I agree 150% with you !

Jumpshack gives me an impression of a stubborn, and extremely unwilling to change company. From talking to many of the people who have been around much longer then me, and having come from an all-Racer dropzone I have seen and worked with plenty of gear to back up what I say. To me, the magnetic riser covers are about the only useful feature that Jumpshack has.

whoever mentioned brand wars may not realize that I have jumped ALL the containers that have passed through me (that I could fit into :), which is to say pretty much all the even mildly popular stuff in the US for the last 20 years - so I say what I say based on a fair bit of first hand experience rather than on having owned a single brand and sticking with it.

To downtoearth: My friend that is a beautiful rig you've got there!!! I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoy mine!!! And oh by the way I just ordered my new one and will post pics here hopefully soon for you to admire. I apologize for the rant I'm about to go off on but, I wish people would just admire what is there to admire or shut the hell up and go blast somewhere else.

To beatnik and likestojump and all the other blasters out there:

Well guys you've pretty much blasted this thread with all the BS you could muster, just because YOU think that the Racer is not the greatest thing in the world. Oh well you don't like it shut the hell up!!! This guy is just trying to show his pretty new rig to the community and you guys have to blast his thread with your crap. You want to start an anti-racer thread by all means, go right ahead. Let this guy get the satisfaction of showing off his new purchase without hearing a bunch of crap for doing so. Yes I am a Racer owner and am also a Mirage owner. I pack both my reserves and have no problem with either. Any reserve can be difficult to pack, but a true rigger learns the tips and tricks to properly and neatly pack each container.

Yes Beatnik, JCO is a lot of what is keeping the doors open at Jump Shack... So?!? John Sherman is retired, yes he still ha an say with what happens with his designs. Is he ready to make the change and add several pounds of extra padding and BS to his already comfortable rig to make it sell better? Probably not... should he bow down to the masses who say he has a "rig of death" that shouldn't be manufactured? I think not... How many fatalities have you read about that had something go wrong on this "rig of death"?!? You could bring up the Tandem Fatality (human error) but other than that.... Yea nothing....

So say what you will but I call it simplicity in motion and yes the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle was brought up earlier, well I don't see Jump Shack having to engineer flaps to protect their pins, engineering a whole new rig to make sure that it is freefly friendly (oh yea the guys that started freeflying years ago, most did it with a Racer because the rig was already "freefly friendly") You say that the other rigs are based on "new technology" but the only things that have evolved in this sport are the canopies, rigs are the same as the were in the 80's and 90's. The only thins to be introduced was the use of Cypress's and their followers (Vigil and Argus) and now the Skyhook. All these container systems have the same components, just some have a flashy new look.

Yes I am done now... I have yelled at you for doing the same thing I just did to you, but at least I had the freaking courtesy to admire the rig and send my congrats to the OP before I went off on a tangent about something that has absolutely nothing to do with the original post..... Oh and if you want to blast me please feel free to send me a PM so this thread doesn't have to put up with any more insanity...:|
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Excuse me if I still stick to my opinion. I think that a new jumper will do better buying a used popular brand container rather than a new Racer or a Dolphin. You can write another page of how Racer is a popular container, but if you go around the DZs of the world you will be quite surprised to find that it's just not true.

So what ? That being said..now what ? The guy was showing off his new rig,,let em' why do you want to suck the joy out of everything. I've said before after a few years all "containers" are within a few hundred $ of each other..is that worth blowing your load all over the monitor ?[:/] Dude , enjoy your life, :P

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

So what ? That being said..now what ? The guy was showing off his new rig,,let em' why do you want to suck the joy out of everything. I've said before after a few years all "containers" are within a few hundred $ of each other..is that worth blowing your load all over the monitor ?[:/] Dude , enjoy your life, :P

and I have empirical evidence that certain containers hold their value a lot better than others.
I don't want to suck anything, including the joy out of everything.
And I enjoy my life plenty, thank you !

To beatnik and likestojump and all the other blasters out there:

Well guys you've pretty much blasted this thread with all the BS you could muster, just because YOU think that the Racer is not the greatest thing in the world. Oh well you don't like it shut the hell up!!! This guy is just trying to show his pretty new rig to the community and you guys have to blast his thread with your crap. You want to start an anti-racer thread by all means, go right ahead. Let this guy get the satisfaction of showing off his new purchase without hearing a bunch of crap for doing so. Yes I am a Racer owner and am also a Mirage owner. I pack both my reserves and have no problem with either. Any reserve can be difficult to pack, but a true rigger learns the tips and tricks to properly and neatly pack each container.

Yes Beatnik, JCO is a lot of what is keeping the doors open at Jump Shack... So?!? John Sherman is retired, yes he still ha an say with what happens with his designs. Is he ready to make the change and add several pounds of extra padding and BS to his already comfortable rig to make it sell better? Probably not... should he bow down to the masses who say he has a "rig of death" that shouldn't be manufactured? I think not... How many fatalities have you read about that had something go wrong on this "rig of death"?!? You could bring up the Tandem Fatality (human error) but other than that.... Yea nothing....

So say what you will but I call it simplicity in motion and yes the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle was brought up earlier, well I don't see Jump Shack having to engineer flaps to protect their pins, engineering a whole new rig to make sure that it is freefly friendly (oh yea the guys that started freeflying years ago, most did it with a Racer because the rig was already "freefly friendly") You say that the other rigs are based on "new technology" but the only things that have evolved in this sport are the canopies, rigs are the same as the were in the 80's and 90's. The only thins to be introduced was the use of Cypress's and their followers (Vigil and Argus) and now the Skyhook. All these container systems have the same components, just some have a flashy new look.

Yes I am done now... I have yelled at you for doing the same thing I just did to you, but at least I had the freaking courtesy to admire the rig and send my congrats to the OP before I went off on a tangent about something that has absolutely nothing to do with the original post..... Oh and if you want to blast me please feel free to send me a PM so this thread doesn't have to put up with any more insanity...

Mentioning your opinions of a rig is hardly blasting it. I own three Racers and I like them very much and continue to jump them so get your facts straight before blowing your BS off on me. There are things I like about it and things I don't and I am not going to say that it is the greatest rig in the world if I don't think so even if I like them a lot.

The point about JCO supporting JumpShack must have went right over your head so I will bring it down a little for you. JumpShack wouldn't have been able to survive as a company and continue making rigs if it wasn't for their other company keeping them alive. Whether or not the product is good or not doesn't matter with this since they would have went the same way as many other businesses have done in the skydiving industry.

If you want to defend John Sherman. Why don't you talk to some of the people who have designed and built custom rigs at the factory. My friend Nykolas when he worked there built a pretty sweet rig to his own cosmetic designs. John Sherman didn't like it because it didn't have the pinstripes on the main pin cover like he likes. Restricting people to your own views of cosmetics is not a good thing.

I thought the rig was super comfortable as well that is until I tried some other rigs and did a lot of jumps on them. Here is a challenge to you on the comfort factor. I will challenge you to do 100 jumps in one day under a Racer and then doo 100 jumps in one day on a rig that offers the spacer foam and then tell me which rig you think is more comfortable. I have done both of these things and I will continue to speak on my personal experience with these rigs. Unless you have done that, don't comment on my post of comfort. Any rig will be comfortable for half a dozen jumps in a day. Also, the design that made the Racer one of the most comfortable rigs out there was lost when they switched to the current design.

I have never brought up a rig of death that you have speak of. So please don't start putting words in my mouth and stop running yours off.

What are you talking about with JumpShack not redesigning their rig to make it freefly friendly. That is why they redesigned the whole rig and came up with the 2K3 model. Their other design they had wasn't freefly friendly and they re-engineered the whole thing.

I will call you on your last comment that canopies are the only thing that has evolved in the sport. Look at the reserve system on the Seven. I think that is pretty new and not something that other manufacturers have done. You could look at the articulated harnesses, magnetic covers, flaps to prevent lines from getting caught. To me you don't seem to know what you are talking about. If you want to talk canopies, lets look at some of the things that are out there. Crossbracing has been around for over 20 years starting with the excalibur. There has been a airlock patent since the 60's and the big change with canopies, zero-p, happened in the 1990's. I am not saying that there hasn't been advances, I am just showing you that for someone that is claiming that others are spreading BS, you should start looking at yourself first. I have done nothing more than put my first hand facts on this thread and if you don't like it tough. I am a Racer owner and have been a very large pro Racer jumper for a lot of years but I am not going to lie about the company or my experiences with them.

If you want to comment on anything else I have said, send me a PM and I will gladly discuss it with you.

How many fatalities have you read about that had something go wrong on this "rig of death"?!? You could bring up the Tandem Fatality (human error) but other than that.... Yea nothing....

Another one was when the chest strap tore off during the opening, ejecting the jumper from the harness. So much for the "fail-safe" harness... This happened this decade.

the guys that started freeflying years ago, most did it with a Racer because the rig was already "freefly friendly")

Not true. I saw MANY sit-fly videos from the early 90s, and the main pin cover flap often blew upwards, exposing the main pin... Around year 2000, JumpShack added the tuck tubs to the main pin cover flap, in order to address this problem.

Also, LOTS of velcro had to be replaced every few months (100 - 200 jumps or so).

And then came Racer 2K3 to fix the above and be freefly friendly.

A better market value doesn´t always means the best product available, specially with containers.
Nowadays propaganda is rulling the business and I as a dealer often see great products coming up to the market that faces lots of difficulties to find their way cause the manufacture name is not on top of the list. At the same time I also see great manufactures brand launching new products that sells very well, but without meaning only a new name and no inovations at all.
All skydive related materials demands good quality and a lot of testing jumps, none are 100% safe,so saying this is the best or worst product available is risk.
safe jumps
prego

Give that you've only only jumped 4 years, I'll just say this in response to

(oh yea the guys that started freeflying years ago, most did it with a Racer because the rig was already "freefly friendly")

That is 100 percent not true.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Probably is a pain in the ass to replace...fortunate part is you don't have to replace them very often as you don't rip the shit out of them to get the pins in like on a V3 or Javelin with a skyhook, or just about any modern one pin container.

Nice rig! Don't listen to these jokers.

I find that Racer owners are like Mac owners. It's so easy to start a holy war. Like every rig out there they have some unique features that set them aside from the rest, but like everything they have their problems too.

WHAT?!?! Is that a rational opinion of the Racer Harness/Container system? What's going on with that?? You're supposted to be like "OMG they arn't freefly Friendly and your going to kill yourself!" or "Jesus uses a Racer." :D
=========Shaun ==========

"Jesus uses a Racer."

And on the sixty-eighth second, Jesus pulled his reserve and proclaimed that "It was good".

:)

But in the old days, what did He call the string that helped open the back-mounted reserve...?? :D

J
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

"Jesus uses a Racer."

And on the sixty-eighth second, Jesus pulled his reserve and proclaimed that "It was good".

But in the old days, what did He call the string that helped open the back-mounted reserve...?? :D

J

Last hope rope or Jesus string. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

"Jesus uses a Racer."

J

Last hope rope or Jesus string. ;)

Sparky

But for Him, would that be the "Me string?" :ph34r:
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Got my new 2K3. Watch out it isn't free-fly friendly as claimed. Riser covers come open while doing head down. Jumpshack said they will test the rig and resolve the problem. Not happy at all.

Man, that's weird ~ I've had 3 Racer 2K3's, two with magnetic riser covers, and I've NEVER had a single riser pop open on it's own. :S. Did jumpshack pack the reserve?
=========Shaun ==========