downtoearth

New Racer 2K3

The new Racers are nothing like the old and are worth a second look. Only the pop-top remained the same. No flap over the PC. It is totally free-fly friendly, magnetic riser covers, protected reserve pins, and oh yeah, comfortable too. Because of its tailoring it isn't like a brick or a box on your back. The service that Jumpshack provides is excellent and personal. A Racer is like the Mac of rigs, and not the PC.

The new Racers are nothing like the old and are worth a second look. Only the pop-top remained the same. No flap over the PC. It is totally free-fly friendly, magnetic riser covers, protected reserve pins, and oh yeah, comfortable too. Because of its tailoring it isn't like a brick or a box on your back. The service that Jumpshack provides is excellent and personal. A Racer is like the Mac of rigs, and not the PC.

I know, I own three Racer's (one of which is a 2K3) and a Strong pop top. I know a lot about Racer's and Jumpshack's services so you don't have to preach to the choir. I was pretty much factory trained. I was just making a reference to what was said with two pins being 80's tech when one-pin reserve came out in the 70's.

Is it called the Stealth Racer because it's all black
If so then I have a stealth Mirage

The Stealth Racer is not called that because it is all black. The Stealth Racer is a very standard Racer with very few to no options to keep the price down.

John Sherman has had a one-pin design and patent for years. He believes the two pin is a better system and sticks with it.

at the cost of an extremely low market penetration.

Personally, they way I see it, once the "old school" jumpers stop jumping , Jumpshack will run out of customers :(

(for the purpose of this thread, lets define old school as consisting of mostly four digit USPA D-numbers and foreign equivalents)

so what? at least there are some people (read gear designers/manufacturers) left who bother to think outside the box. personally i like the thought that there is more outside than just clones of the b-guys ideas

to the OP: nice rig!
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Read more into it.

low market penetration=low sales=less profit=less $$$ for development & redesign

I can stretch that chain of deductions into being unsafe, but that obviously is a stretch.

many new riggers don't know how to pack a Racer or how to pack it well. The recent tandem double fatality occurred because of a misrouted RSL. Of course you can argue that it was the riggers fault - and I would have to agree. However, when the system is build so different from what's the "standard" - it's hard to be current on it, and humans will always make mistakes.

Wasn't it Jumpshack that in the late 80s/early 90s insisted on having a 4ft main bridle ?

pfffffffff brand wars again :S

many new riggers don't know how to pack a Racer

then it's their turn not to pack them. period.
plus: if one decides to buy a racer usually they have a rigger on hand/site to pack it (this is an asumption, i know)

The recent tandem double fatality

what has this to do with a racer sports rig? right: nothing!

from what's the "standard"

some people prefer to use niche-products that have proved to work very well for decades for various reasons

and humans will always make mistakes.

and that can be said about almost anything

next :|
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Personally, they way I see it, once the "old school" jumpers stop jumping , Jumpshack will run out of customers :(

(for the purpose of this thread, lets define old school as consisting of mostly four digit USPA D-numbers and foreign equivalents)

I think what is keeping jumpshack alive more than anything is JCO metals their company that builds handles, ripcords and pins. They supply most of the industry with them. Their military contracts probably help as well.

Really once John Sherman retires the company will probably start to do a lot better. I have never met him personally but met pretty much everyone else there. My impression is that he really controls how some of the things are because he designed it and doesn't want it to be changed or it is of the nature that he tells people what they need and want. If they acted more like other companies where they listened more to the customer and gave them a product they asked for I feel they would do better. After all that is why some of the companies have grown to the size they have.

I think what is keeping jumpshack alive more than anything is JCO metals there company that builds handles, ripcords and pins. They supply most of the industry with them. Their military contracts probably help as well.

Really once John Sherman retires the company will probably start to do a lot better. I have never met him personally but met pretty much everyone else there. My impression is that he really controls how some of the things are because he designed it and doesn't want it to be changed or it is of the nature that he tells people what they need and want. If they acted more like other companies where they listened more to the customer and gave them a product they asked for I feel they would do better. After all that is why some of the companies have grown to the size they have.

and I agree 150% with you !

Jumpshack gives me an impression of a stubborn, and extremely unwilling to change company. From talking to many of the people who have been around much longer then me, and having come from an all-Racer dropzone I have seen and worked with plenty of gear to back up what I say. To me, the magnetic riser covers are about the only useful feature that Jumpshack has.

whoever mentioned brand wars may not realize that I have jumped ALL the containers that have passed through me (that I could fit into :), which is to say pretty much all the even mildly popular stuff in the US for the last 20 years - so I say what I say based on a fair bit of first hand experience rather than on having owned a single brand and sticking with it.

I agree, well for the most part. There are a couple more features that I like but I really don't know how much they really make a difference or if they would be enough for me to purchase or recommend a Racer over something else.

I do want to mention something about comfort that many people bring up with these rigs. They are comfortable but there are plenty of comfortable rigs out there some much more than the Racer. Last year I did 202 jumps in 24 hours and the rig that was really helping me out as far as comfort goes was not the Racer 2K3 that is sized for me but another rig from another manufacturer. Doing 5-10 jumps in a day, pretty much any rig that fits will be comfortable. Doing a lot more than that and things change quite a bit.

Read more into it.

low market penetration=low sales=less profit=less $$$ for development & redesign

Yeah for all that development and redesign that Racer is famous for!

I agree with you on redesign. When you have a product that works the way it is supposed to why would you redesign it? Most designs happen because there is some flaw in the product. As for the development part, I disagree with you 100%. There has been developments from JumpShack and some have been fairly large.

IMHO...Racers are no more difficult to pack than any other manufacturer. I would infact rather pack my racer than my mirage (those springs are a pain in the ass). Racers are just different, but the rsl routing is basically the same and the gear check is the same, meaning if you can't tell that an RSL is misrouted on a Javelin I doubt you could tell on a racer or any other rig for that matter. I just got a javelin in the other day that had an rsl all twisted to shit. It was routed properly but twisted to the point that I knew the jumper wasn't checking his gear properly prior to jumping it so I showed him the way it should be.

Bottom line is that I hear many "newer" jumpers simply repeating the opinions that others have about the racer without having any experience/knowledge of the rig. I'm neutral on rig, I do like the newer freefly friendly additions but I'm not sold on the "speedbag".

To the original poster...nice looking rig.

Hey! I resemble that remark! (LOL) By the way, I owned a racer back in the day and it was the most comfortable H/C I ever owned.