hackish

PC over the nose?

Would the CRW style split bridle stop this happening?

Probably, but crw bridles have their own problems: easy to get holes in your canopy if not very careful when packing esp. when using a bag instead of a tailpocket, also the bridle can knot up so the canopy can't spread out, can be quite hard to see as the canopy is "square" from below. All in all I wouldn't recommend a crw bridle to fix a pilotchute over the nose ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

All the sim really says is "Evaluate controllability and flare before reaching the decide-and-act altitude of 2,500 feet for"

Which while it's correct doesn't mean that people shouldn't get more advice from places like these forums. The sim doesn't say to take it easy flying with a PC in your lines and it's good advice.

Good for me! I got one person to read the SIM!

Thanks for your reply, Mark. However, I didn't say people should not get more advice from places like these forums. On the other hand, common sense does come into play and in this case, as in many, many others, reading the answer to your question can generate a knock on the head to apply it.

This particular case is, or should be, FJC knowledge. Does anyone even remember their FJC? Did the instructor fail you (general sense, not personal) by not providing info and adding a little help with common sense in the process? Reading the SIM can, and does, fill in many gaps in your training either in the FJC or later. It quite often generates questions, too. And that's a good thing.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I think the original question was more a worry that the PC over the nose could allow the canopy to fly to pass the controllability check then later move around (let's say after a turn) and choke it off at an altitude where you couldn't chop it.

-Michael

Probably, but crw bridles have their own problems: easy to get holes in your canopy if not very careful when packing esp. when using a bag instead of a tailpocket, also the bridle can knot up so the canopy can't spread out, can be quite hard to see as the canopy is "square" from below. All in all I wouldn't recommend a crw bridle to fix a pilotchute over the nose ;)

Thanks for that. :)

I think the original question was more a worry that the PC over the nose could allow the canopy to fly to pass the controllability check then later move around (let's say after a turn) and choke it off at an altitude where you couldn't chop it.

-Michael

That is possible, hence the recomendation to fly the canopy gently. You are no longer in a normal situation, so it's no longer the appropriate time for normal canopy flight. "Baby" the canopy and only do what you must do to land safely. You do however need to do a full controlability check while above your decision altitude (toggles all the way down turns, full flare) so that you know what circumstances you are in.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

1. Is the canopy there? (in this case, yes)
2. Is the canopy square? (in this case, also typically yes)
3. Is the canopy controllable? (do a controllability check and find out)

4. (and what I think the OP was looking for) Is it likely to stay that way?

I've seen it a few times, though mostly with spring loaded PCs (student rigs, etc). Haven't seen it cause a problem, but remember that the rigs I've seen it with were BIG (240-300+), nothing small or highly loaded.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Also had this a few times. Suppose the easiest way to avoid this problem is not to backslide. However, say you have a little track movement, and you open 180deg, then the canopy will move backwords. This could also make this happen. so much for not backsliding..hehe. Many times I found the pc on top, near the nose, but not yet over. I find turning with toggles to either side will make it float back off. As for when it is in front of the nose, through your lines, no radical turns. I had a high opening once, and started to spiral down, the drag from the pc was so great, that it actually started to take my a-lines close to c-lines. That is a major indent in the nose, and flight char. is up to crap. leveled out, and genlte flying did the trick.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

just to add. check the S&T for: Premature deployment on exit by docjohn. The movie is in slowplay, and you can see the PC moving left and right.... So, I still believe it is the forward surge of the canopy that causes it.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.