skyfree

Mini Cricket reserve

Why? Profile indicates suspended weight is 140lbs. Not my first choice but should be okay.

Out of 130 jumps how many do you think are on a F-111 type 7 cell?

Sparky

How many jumpers have any non reserve jumps on a F-111 7 cell???

I have a few...but I'd bet most that started within the last 10 years do not.

Why? Profile indicates suspended weight is 140lbs. Not my first choice but should be okay.

Out of 130 jumps how many do you think are on a F-111 type 7 cell?

Sparky

How many jumpers have any non reserve jumps on a F-111 7 cell???

I have a few...but I'd bet most that started within the last 10 years do not.

My point exactly. This jumper has 130 jumps and his reserve will be loaded to within 5 lb. of the manufactures listed max.

How long is it going to take for us to connect the dots between low time jumper, little canopies and fatalities? What the hell do I care, he is going to buy it anyway.[:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

:)
Stay out of it !!!

It is TSO'd in the FAA C23C Cat. A

This reserve is not for you.

Be Smart & Safe !!!

I don't think the fact that it was certified under TSO-C23c is an issue. It is size vs experience. Cat. A is tested to 300 lb. at 150 kts. for a certified weight of 198 lb. at 130 kts. TSO-C23d is tested to a minimum of 264 lb. at 180 kts. for a certified weight of 220 lb. at 150 kts.

Sparky

:)
Maybe yes, maybe NO.

See the Tempo 250 was ripped & failed in TN. few years ago at about 9000 ft. when the reserve ripcord went out of pocket.

The load was 1:1

A reserve deployment might catch you at any time & at any altitude from any reason - pulled ripcord, AAD, EP.

Think About !!!

See the Tempo 250 was ripped & failed in TN. few years ago at about 9000 ft. when the reserve ripcord went out of pocket.

And that can happen to any reserve on the market today. The smaller the canopy the faster the fill time and the greater possibilty for it to happen. In the case of a reserve "bigger is always better".

Sparky

. The smaller the canopy the faster the fill time and the greater possibilty for it to happen. In the case of a reserve "bigger is always better".

Sparky

Smaller canopies also have closer reinforcements and line attachments which actually make them stronger. Also smaller nose openings which let less air in. In case of landing a damaged canopy, bigger is better, but not for strength.

The smaller the canopy the faster the fill time and the greater possibilty for it to happen. In the case of a reserve "bigger is always better".

Smaller canopies also have closer reinforcements and line attachments which actually make them stronger. Also smaller nose openings which let less air in.

So it's agreed: small reserves have a greater tendency to blow up at terminal, and they also have a lesser tendency to do that. Thanks for clearing that up for us, guys.

a smaller canopy, square, has the same number of attachment points, lines, tapes, etc but if the canopy expereances the same shock loading, same weight decelerated over the same time with the same force curve then the force is distributed over a smaller area. The loading on the fabric per square foot is higher.

The size of the nose opening change in relation to the square of the coard. The volume changes with the cube of the coard. So internal volume goes up faster then opening size. This implies that larger canopies opening in the same way will open slower.

There are however flip sides to the coin. A larger canopy for the same suspended weight will have a larger inital deceleration leading to a faster opening sequence in a square. You reach critical speed where the canopy becomes dominant over the slider sooner leading to a faster opening. The first half of the curve happens at a higher decceleration. A smaller canopy will have a lower Cd with the slider up and the inital curve and deceleration to critical speed will hapen slower.

I said earlier if the canopies open in the same way. If the opening happens out of sequence, line dump or some other event that causes the slider to lose stageing i.e. come down before the normal critical speed, then you have a very sudden spike in acceleration as the Cd jumps at a higher speed as the slider comes down earlier and faster then normal. Some canopies have a lot more margion for error on this. The slider is stronger then the canopy. Other designs are less frogiving because there is less domanance of the slider over the canopy eg. saber 1 190.

The critical speed where the canopy orer rides the slider is a major component of how snivaly and soft the opening are. The slower you're going as the canopy start to spread and the slower the slider comes down, the canopy only slightly over powering it at that speed, the softer the opening. There are a lot of things that go into this, AR, length of stabalizers (how low the slider is below the bottom skin also affected by shinkage of the out side lines), width of center cell relative to slider, width of risers relative to slider, area and design of slider, break setting includeing shrinkage and that's just off the top of my head. That's just stuff that can be quantified there's also the relm of vodoo. Some times no one really know why a design opens hard. It just does.

Now that I've compleatly confused the discusion the point I was trying to make is that it's a lot more complicated then just size. I hate when people over simplify things. Haveing said that I am fermly on the side of bigger reserves. I think the cool trend in stupid small rigs and canopies has hurt and killed more people then any thing else in the sport.

a couple of comments on the actual subject: There's a bigger diffrence in the testing then the numbers seem to imply. The speed is a big deal. It changes by the square where weight is liner. Also as the the real strength of the canopy, what year was it made? That company has gone through a couple of generations and if I remember corectly they changed construction methods at some point. They changed how the flares were attached and I think the tape. Check with Red or some one with a better memory then me but I think they went from the flares being sewn on to the tapes being continues all the way up the rib. I want to say that they also went from type 3 to type 1 hering bone on the attachments and I think I heard them talking about going to a spector but I don't remember if that ever happened. Any one else have a clearer memory?

By the way. I still jump a firefly reserve, the Crickets big cussen.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Shlomo,
I personally witnessed the TSO high speed drops on the Mini-Cricket.

Danny Page, Chris Gay, Myself (and others) were doing a joint venture TSO drop project.
The two projects were the JumpShack Racer Tandem and the Mini-Cricket.

After The Mini-Cricket passed it's three high speed deployments, we thought we would have some fun.
We attached the tandem Dummies to it and pushed it out.
We were amazed!
It opened without any damage!
That is one strong reserve even if it is in the "A" Cat.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com