fenix.freefly

pd113 or smart 120?

Not too much of a size difference, so I would go with the PD. Its been around for a while and is proven to be reliable. I personaly jump a PDR126.

For whats its worth, either way your good. Both very good reserves, high max. loading, and proven. My $0.02!
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

My opinion, hands down the best two reserves on the market. Make a choice and you will be happy with it, either way.

I have never jumped a PDR, but there is no way for anything to get that good a rep, with out being that good.

I have three Smart rides, by far the best reserve rides I have had. All three stand up, straight flying, non stalling, responsive, just plan good parachute rides.

Like all the other mine would just be an opinion as well. people like different canopies for different reasons.
Have had rides on both a prefer the smart.

But if your going to bet your life on them,get a demo and jump it. make the decision for yourself.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

PD113 really hold is resale value.

Smart 120, been through the testing at terminal speeds and great reports on it.

Smart is measured from the bottom skin, so of course you need to make sure it will fit your cotnainer as it will be alot bigger than a PD 113.

Both great reserves, just remeber how the smart is measured from bottom skin as it will be bigger than what a PD 120 would be if they made that size.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

+1. Bought a brand new infinity w/ PD Optimum 126...second jump on the system was a reserve ride (damn diablo's) and I LOVED the 126. Loaded at 1.74:1
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

:)
Please consider the info. below.

Factory Recertification:

PD Reserves - 40 repacks or 25 jumps which came first.

Smart Reserve - 20 repacks or 10 jumps which came first.

Inspection:

Smart R in White fabric only with white sewing.

PD reserve can be ordered in Lt.Blue - the sewing is always white.

Packing/Deployments History:

PD reserve have the History boxes on the lable.

Smart does not have the boxes - packing card history only.

Soft Links:

PD SR-1 slinks are made of 1500 Lb. spectra line.

Aerodyne Reserve Soft links are made of 1000 lb. spectra line.

Both should be good & might save the user.

Cheers

Please consider the info. below.

Factory Recertification:

PD Reserves - 40 repacks or 25 jumps which came first.

Smart Reserve - 20 repacks or 10 jumps which came first.

I just reread the Smart manual I have.

I didn't see anything about "factory recertification".

The only mention of 20 repacks was in regard to checking the porosity.

But the issue of porosity testing is pretty vague.

There are actually several conditions mentioned that would trigger a porosity check.

They are:

- After 10 uses
- After immersion in water - when the canopy is dry
- After 20 repacks (Based on 6 month repack cycle)
- After any use in abnormal conditions.

Regarding "Based on a 6 month repack cycle", does that mean after 10 years as well as the other conditions?

How does one do a porosity test? I don't see anything on the PIA website regarding porosity testing, at lease, not in the document titles.

Is this a test that only the factory can do? Is that why you mention "factory recertification"?

If a porosity test requires the factory, are we really supposed to send a Smart to the factory after it has been wet? How wet?

Actually complying with this vaguely worded requirement seems like it would be a hassle.

Is anybody actually doing it?

If so, what are they really doing?

65.129 Performance standards.

No certificated parachute rigger may—

(e) Pack, maintain, or alter a parachute in any manner that deviates from procedures approved by the Administrator or the manufacturer of the parachute; or

This part is also vague but if the manufacture says do a porosity test when certain conditions exist they I would say to pack it without doing the test, or having it done, would violate 65.129. jmo

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Inspection:

Smart R in White fabric only with white sewing.

Cheers

Just to bring you up to speed on current and past events. We have been building Smart reserves out of pretty much any standard F111 color. The tread is still white. There are several of color ones in stock at flyaerodyne.com, so there is hope for those riggers who don't know how to inspect white on white.
Blues

I looked at the stock list & yes Aerodyne is offering now Lt.Blue, Gold & Orange Smarts R - good for you & for us the riggers.

When a skydiver here oredered a Smart 160 a year ago & asked for a Lt.Blue reserve, we were told white only.

I asked Aerodyne since the Smart came out to add Lt.Blue fabric or to use a contrast sewing thread to the white fabric - it is more easy to inspect the LBL with the white threads or any contrast colors.

I also saw that Aerodyne is offering NEON COLORS for Smart R - why ?IMO & other mfg. opinion Neon colors should NOT be used for reserve canopies, reserve p/c & free bags.

FYI, there are not riggers that does not know how to inspect White - there are mfg. that does not understand that contrast fabric & color is a basic step easy for the factory sewing station & final Q.C inspection & yes, for riggers too & this is right for all parts - bartacks, 301 seams & so.

Why Aerodyne always used Silver thread for the lines & line tabs, slider stops, leading edge bartacks ? why not white ???

Why Aerodyne is using "42 Center start/stop" bartacks for the line tabe & "42 one side" for the lines ?

Why Aerodyne gives a limit of 20 repacks / 10 deployments before "Porosity Test" & there are no history boxes on the lable ? What are Aerodyne spec. for the test ? Who will do it ? Factory ? South Africa or Deland ? Service Centers ?

Cheers

65.129 Performance standards.

No certificated parachute rigger may—

(e) Pack, maintain, or alter a parachute in any manner that deviates from procedures approved by the Administrator or the manufacturer of the parachute; or

This part is also vague but if the manufacture says do a porosity test when certain conditions exist they I would say to pack it without doing the test, or having it done, would violate 65.129. jmo

Sparky

No argument regarding the legality.

In practice, do you think that every Smart reserve that has gone through a swoop pond has had a porosity test? The manual calls for porosity testing whenever the Smart reserve has gotten wet. How wet? Do we get to decide?

How do we do a porosity test?

I didn't find any documentation on the PIA website. Okay, I didn't read all the docs, but the titles don't seem to say that a porosity test is covered anywhere.

I looked in the FAA's Parachute Rigger Handbook 2005 and found information on a both porosity and permeability.

Porosity is a measure of the open space in the weave of a fabric, while permeability is a measure of the rate of airflow through a fabric.

There is no guidance on doing a porosity test. There is a definition for a permeability test that says you measure the airflow through 1 square foot of fabric at a pressure differential is 1/2" of water.

Does Aerodyne really want a porosity test, or do they really mean a permeability test?

How are we supposed to comply when we cannot even determine what the requirements really are?

PS - I am sending an email to Aerodyne to see what guidance they can give.

Does Aerodyne really want a porosity test, or do they really mean a permeability test?

It isn't just Aerodyne, several manufactures are now calling for it. And none of them are very clear on what it is they want.

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk/cms/forums/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=17262

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Why no neon for reserve pilot chutes/freebags? Does the neon colored fabric not last as long or something? I had 2 reserve rides with a half dayglo orange half white reserve pilotchute, very easy to follow in the sky as it turned around it acted like a flash light, loved it! Also much easier to find on the ground than the black, purple and the white freebags that are more usual.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I also saw that Aerodyne is offering NEON COLORS for Smart R - why ?IMO & other mfg. opinion Neon colors should NOT be used for reserve canopies, reserve p/c & free bags.

I completely disagree with your opinion on reserve pilot chutes and freebags. I feel that ALL freebags and reserve pilot chutes should be made in neon colors. A Neon Yellow Freebag saved me from losing mine in grass just barely tall enough to cover it. I could only see a tiny bit of neon yellow.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Why the h/c mfg. are not using F-111 Neon colors for reserve p/c & free bags anymore ? It was done in the past by some h/c mfg.

You can have the same "Easy To See colors" without neon - Yellow, Orange, White or so.

All said was IMO.

Cheers

Why the h/c mfg. are not using F-111 Neon colors for reserve p/c & free bags anymore ? It was done in the past by some h/c mfg.

You can have the same "Easy To See colors" without neon - Yellow, Orange, White or so.

All said was IMO.

Cheers

Ok, so that is your opinion, lets even say your respected opinion. This leaves me to wonder why. What is the negative effect of neon?