GeordieSkydiver

Root beer, what the hell is that all about?

One thing I cant understand about the USA, how can anybody like this stuff? It tastes like medicine or mouthwash to me.

"beer in a fast food place, great!" gulp gulp
"phewwwwwwwy spit spit.....WTF?"

Lee
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

I'm going to go ahead and assume you've never had an A&W Root Beer ice cream float. I bet if you had one of those you might change your mind. Or if you had a classic IBC Root Beer.

Good stuff man, good stuff!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm going to go ahead and assume you've never had an A&W Root Beer ice cream float. I bet if you had one of those you might change your mind. Or if you had a classic IBC Root Beer.

Does it still taste of root beer? I'll give it a miss then thanks.:P

Lee

One thing I cant understand about the USA, how can anybody like this stuff? It tastes like medicine or mouthwash to me.

Although I was raised in the United States from 8 months on, the love of root beer seemed like an odd North American concept that I would never be able to relate to or to understand. After 33 years of living in the US, I still don't understand...at all. :$

I will make a point of trying some A & W. :)

Lee

It's an American thing totally!! We don't understand why you like a lot of things in Uk (like no spices in a lot of foods & warm drinks & room temp. beverages- what is that all about?) & those of you from Oz- yuk, vegimite? Will never understand. Love the rootbeer though, guess I am just a silly yank!! lol

We don't understand why you like a lot of things in Uk (like no spices in a lot of foods & warm drinks & room temp. beverages- what is that all about?)

What do you mean? Like coffee or tea? Our soft drinks and beer are served cold. (or should be)

& those of you from Oz- yuk, vegimite? Will never understand.

I'm with you on that, yucky stuff.

Love the rootbeer though, guess I am just a silly yank!! lol

Nah not silly, we are all different, otherwise the world would be a boring place.:)
Lee

You should try the root beer at Schilos in San Antonio, made fresh every week downstairs.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

hey dave, here's a bit of trivia for ya..... saw this on the history channel.....

coors brewing company the makers of the fine beverage coors beer, stayed open durring prohibition (i know the spellings off but it's when alcohol was illegal in the ststes) they made rootbeer.. yep, i wonder what it tasted like???? hopefully better than thier beer tastes today!!!!.....

Lee

LOL! So much for your opinion about it! Poll just said 64% love it, 21% hate it! (The rest don't count for shit, as far as I'm concerned :P Decide or die!!)

What about "Ginger Ale"? How do you like it? It's not really "ale," either...

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I'm with Aggie on this one. A&W is the best stuff in the world. ANy other root beer tastes horrible (especially Barqs). Try some A&W, try an A&W float. Trust us, you'll love it.

Mike

I am not up on Root Beer enough to be able to taste a difference between brands (I drink root beer pretty infrequently despite liking it okay), but I know enough about different cola tastes to be able to say that I'll take your word for it. There is a huge difference between Coke and Pepsi, so I believe there could be similar differences between A&W, Barq's, et al.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

LOL! So much for your opinion about it! Poll just said 64% love it, 21% hate it! (The rest don't count for shit, as far as I'm concerned :P Decide or die!!)

What about "Ginger Ale"? How do you like it? It's not really "ale," either...

-Jeffrey

Considering most of the audience is from the states, I expected that result. My opinion is just that, an opinion.:P

Ginger ale is gross. My nana used to make it, I used to pour it on the fire.

Lee

I'm with Aggie on this one. A&W is the best stuff in the world. ANy other root beer tastes horrible (especially Barqs). Try some A&W, try an A&W float. Trust us, you'll love it.

Mike

Sonic has some really good Root Beer floats as well. But nothing is as good as the ones A&W makes.

I am not up on Root Beer enough to be able to taste a difference between brands (I drink root beer pretty infrequently despite liking it okay), but I know enough about different cola tastes to be able to say that I'll take your word for it. There is a huge difference between Coke and Pepsi, so I believe there could be similar differences between A&W, Barq's, et al.

I don't think A&W is all that different from the other mass produced brands, but it comes in a good diet form and they don't do silly things like caffeination (Coca Cola's Barqs brand).

But if you try the various old fashioned styles - IBC, Thomas Kemper, Stewarts Pt, there is quite a taste differences, and not all will be pleasing.

For the OP, root beer is just another non alcoholic drink on the menu. When I think I've been getting too much caffeine of late, I swing that way or towards 7up.