Nightingale

Kitty Vibes Needed

Today on our way to karate, Clownburner and I stopped by a friend's house to feed her dog (she's out of town). Lying by the driveway was an orange tabby who'd managed to prop himself up on a rose bush and pass out.

James walked by and said "Hi, kitty" and got no reaction from the cat. I thought it was strange that a cat would sit out in the rain like that. On the way back, we noticed rthat the cat still hadn't moved, and made a closer investigation.

He was breathing, but barely, and semi-conscious. We extracted him from the rose bush and he staggered about and then collapsed into a puddle. I thought about just leaving him there, since he isn't my cat, but I knew I'd be wondering about him all night and wouldn't be able to live with my conscience if I just left him there.

So, off we go to the vet. Somehow on the way, he gets named Sam. The vet does an exam and runs a blood screen to rule out stuff. The tests were normal, but Sam was still very lethargic.

So, the prognosis is not good. Either he's had some kind of brain trauma like a stroke or blood clot or aneurysm, or he got into some poison or somebody's weed stash. The doc gave him some fluids and heavy duty anti-inflamitories to get rid of any brain swelling, and said all we can do now is wait. I paid the couple hundred dollar vet bill and drove Sam over to my parents' house, where they reluctantly agreed to cat sit, since I can't take him to my place since he wasn't tested for feline leukemia, and both my cats are leuk negative.

So, if he's had some kind of brain trauma, he'll probably go downhill over the next few days and have to be put down. If he got into rat poison or someone's stash, he'll probably be ok. I figure if he survives, we'll post "found kitty" signs in the neigborhood to see if we can find his home.

So, good vibes for Sam, please? He's a very sweet cat.

That is so sad! [:/]
I almost broke down when you said he fell over into a puddle! [:/]

I hope Sam gets better. Go, kitty!

And, um, next time you're in my neighborhood you can bet I'm gonna put a dazed look on my face and lean up against the nearest rose bush. :P

<<>>

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Nothing like a kind soul like you to restore my flagging faith in humanity. Vibes galore for little Sammy.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I want to add an orange tabby to my family. Hope he's ok. Peanut & jelly are sending kitty wishes. (Ok so they don't really care but it sounds cute to send kitty wishes from my kitties). :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Kris, my five - all rescues/ferals - send their love and vibes to Sam. And I send mine, as well. Let me know how I can help, all right? If he needs to be rehomed, I have some rescue contacts down in OC that may be able to help.

And thanks for helping him. You really rock.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I've got a soft spot for orange tabbies (well, pretty much all felines actually, but I've shared my home with 2 pretty awesome orange tabbies). Anyway, I hope Sam pulls through. Tigger and Milo are pulling for him too, wherever they are!

Sam update:

I went to my folks house today to check on him. He was moving in his bed, kicking his legs. I went up and pet his head, and he stopped kicking. I was able to get him to drink some water through a syringe...didn't really have to force him, just put the water in his mouth and he swallowed. It sounded like he was kinda trying to purr, but I'm not sure about that. I called the vet and he says to try him on some baby food tomorrow to make sure he's got his nutrition.

He seems to be reacting a bit to my presence. I walked over to his bed after dinner, and he looked like he was sleeping. I pet his head, and he opened his eyes and kicked his feet. I refilled his water dish, just in case, and tucked him back into bed.

This is a bit of an improvement over yesterday, I think. Yesterday, we got almost no movement at all, and today he's moving on his own. I hope it's not just some kind of brain stem reaction and he's actually improving. I wish I could take him back to the vet to be checked...there's just no information on the internet about brain damaged cats. you punch in "cat brain injury" and you get all kinds of info on CAT scans. A "feline brain injury" query didn't lead to much more info.

sigh... if anyone's got any more vibes to spare, Sam and I would really appreciate it.

OMG, you are the nicest person Kris. It wasn't long ago you were taking Icarus to the pet hospitable. You are so sweet...no wonder they call you Nightingale. Hope Sam is okay. Kitty vibes your way ((((((((vibes for Sam))))).

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Hi, Kris.

Just let me know when, and I'll start working the network for a new home for Sam. Like I said, I've got several contacts in that specific area, and more throughout the rest of SoCa. We'll find him a new place, no doubt. And if he ends up as a special needs kitty, there are people who do that only, as well.

In the meantime, I've got to find a home for Stray #4 before I trap him/her. I just can't take on another one, between Pengy, Simon, and the rest. And BTW, naming them makes it harder to let go. Just ask Simon....:S

See you this weekend, yes?

Ciels-
Michele

Oh, crud.

Kris, I am sorry. I know how fast these guys can get into your heart. The one thing I will say, though, is he died not in the rain, not in the cold, wet outside. He was not left to suffer on the pavement, in the weather and exposed, alone. He was loved - even if only for a few days - by someone with a heart of gold. And he knew that. I promise you, he knew that.

Thank you on Sam's behalf for taking care of him, and for seeing him to the Rainbow Bridge with love.

Hugs, my friend.

Ciels-
Michele

Kris, Michele is right. You did OK by the little guy. Even though he couldn't pull through, he died in a warm bed feeling loved. That's as much as any of us can hope for in the end, isn't it? I know you're hurting, but you did good, you really did!

maura