hackish

Diablo supposed to turn THAT fast?

Been considering a Diablo 150. Test jumped one. One little tug on the toggle and it will corkscrew toward the ground until you stop it. Flying the canopy it doesn't appear to have a long recovery arc but I just can't believe how that thing turns. Makes me feel like a newb all over again.

Of course it could just be way out of trim or something. Any real experience on the endless spiral tendancy?

-Michael

It's a canopy here in The Netherlands you need 400 jumps for, it scared me more than my vengeance ever did. Yes the diablo needs counter steering, as do most if not all HP canopies. Needless to say, be very careful with low toggle turns flying it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

What he said. I jumped one for several hundred jumps. It's not a canopy for anyone without some perspective (i.e. a good number of jumps) on other canopies.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

At altitude, try burying a toggle from full flight and you will be above the canopy. It's a fantastic canopy to fly and play with.
Landings and flare are nothing to write home about but it well set you down safely.

I never understood why they stopped making it.

Been considering a Diablo 150. Test jumped one. One little tug on the toggle and it will corkscrew toward the ground until you stop it. Flying the canopy it doesn't appear to have a long recovery arc but I just can't believe how that thing turns. Makes me feel like a newb all over again.

Of course it could just be way out of trim or something. Any real experience on the endless spiral tendancy?

-Michael

Yes, Diablos are supposed to turn that fast.
I jumped a Diablo 135 for a season. I made a couple of mistakes and it spun up on me, so badly that I had to cut it away.
The following season I traded it for a boring Stiletto 135, which turns as fast, but flares much better.

I have 3 Diablos, Love this canopy. When they stopped making them I stocked up and put a few away in the closet. In my opinion the best 7 cell ever made. I put larger sliders on them for longer snivels and I get consistent on-heading openings. The turns are super fast for sure.

You won't win a swoop competition with it because when you flare it shuts down and comes to a stop but I think it has a great flare for a 7 cell. Great for landing in tight places.

Just a great all around canopy for the right person, certainly not a novice canopy. I never did understand why they stopped making them.
Onward and Upward!

I have 3 Diablos, Love this canopy. When they stopped making them I stocked up and put a few away in the closet. In my opinion the best 7 cell ever made. I put larger sliders on them for longer snivels and I get consistent on-heading openings. The turns are super fast for sure.

You won't win a swoop competition with it because when you flare it shuts down and comes to a stop but I think it has a great flare for a 7 cell. Great for landing in tight places.

Just a great all around canopy for the right person, certainly not a novice canopy. I never did understand why they stopped making them.

Nice avatar
BASE 1384

OK?

What do you mean by okay??? That is freakin insane. I never jumped a 135 til 400 jumps and I'm only 160 lbs out the door. 135 sabre... okay but 136 jonathan was way too fast and I would like to say that I am confident under canopy and very accurate. I am a static line instructor and focus the majority of my teachings just on canopy flight alone.

People downsize way more than they should and too fast. I don't care what people say... 135's shouldn't be jumped until 400 jumps or so unless you weigh 100 lbs out the door.

Back to Diablo 135's. I jump a Nitron 135 and use that canopy for my wingsuit. I love it. I can even pull off on-heading openings with it frequently....

What do you guys think about jumping my wingsuit, weighing 160lbs out the door, with a Diablo 135??? I got about 70 wingsuit jumps.

>What do you guys think about jumping my wingsuit, weighing 160lbs
>out the door, with a Diablo 135?

If you had a little trouble getting on-heading openings with the Nitron I would strongly recommend NOT using the Diablo. Nitros/Nitrons are pretty stable in heading during opening; Diablos turn hard if you look at them funny.

I had a Diablo 120 for a little bit, no way I was gonna jump that thing with a wingsuit. NO FRIGGIN WAY. I did do a few wingsuit jumps with a vengeance 135, felt much safer in comparison :S JohanW jumped my diablo 120 with a wingsuit (at a somewhat higher WL than I was), maybe he can chime in. He didn't buy it off me, in fact he jumps a triathlon 120 now ;) I know one guy who wingsuits with a diablo 90 something, he seems to like it (but he jumps a velo too so he's more used to sensitive canopies), and I think there's a 135 diablo in another wingsuiter's rig. I now have a nice pilot 124 and a fusion 120 for backup, both nice wingsuit canopies, so I'm a happy (safer) camper these days ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thank you!

I currently have about 10 jumps on a jonathan 136 with my wingsuit and about 10 as well with my nitron 135. The Nitron is way easier going than the Jonathan. That Jonathan is a beast. It wants to out fly me and I can't even unzip my legs without diving it into the ground. I only load it up like 1.25 to 1.

So the 120 is scary huh? What did you load it up at again?

Hey people with the 135 and wingsuits... SPEAK UP :)

Still waiting for some good weather so I can jump this thing a few more times and make my decision. It will mostly be my backup canopy anyway. I still think it's a little insane the way it turns but it might just take a little getting used to.

-Michael

Dont know what you normally jump, but it may not be a good idea to get a "weird" backup canopy like this. I'd rather look for something similar (best case the exact same canopy, same size) or more docile to what you normally jump. At least that's what I prefer for my backup/back-to-back rigs, and I've heard the same from others.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I had a Diablo 120 for a little bit, no way I was gonna jump that thing with a wingsuit. NO FRIGGIN WAY. I did do a few wingsuit jumps with a vengeance 135, felt much safer in comparison :S JohanW jumped my diablo 120 with a wingsuit (at a somewhat higher WL than I was), maybe he can chime in. He didn't buy it off me, in fact he jumps a triathlon 120 now ;) I know one guy who wingsuits with a diablo 90 something, he seems to like it (but he jumps a velo too so he's more used to sensitive canopies), and I think there's a 135 diablo in another wingsuiter's rig. I now have a nice pilot 124 and a fusion 120 for backup, both nice wingsuit canopies, so I'm a happy (safer) camper these days ;)

I jumped that 120 (@1.8) for less than ten jumps (with a wingsuit, that is). It would always swerve left and right while I was unzipping, and on wingsuit jump #9 on it, it spun up, dove to the ground and I left it to land on its own this time. I made some more jumps on it, it's a lovely canopy if you can handle it, but no more wingsuit jumps. My Tri flies straight in up to at least five linetwists. :)
Roel used to jump a Diablo 99 and never had a problem. I haven't seem him wingsuiting for a few years, he's swooping his Velo 90 full-time now, maybe does some freeflying.

Ron has a Diablo 150, but he weighs less than his rig. :ph34r: I still wonder why he bothers to deploy from his Blade. :P

A Diablo is a lovely canopy if you can handle it, but it is very responsive to harness input and you will land where you opened. It's a brick on strings. But it turns nicely. :$

Again, not for wingsuiters, not for beginners, not for turf surfers. But it has its good points as well. If you want to jump it with a wingsuit, demo it, decide for yourself, otherwise don't chance it. Work out a deal with your rigger. :)
Johan.
I am. I think.

Thank you!

I currently have about 10 jumps on a jonathan 136 with my wingsuit and about 10 as well with my nitron 135. The Nitron is way easier going than the Jonathan. That Jonathan is a beast. It wants to out fly me and I can't even unzip my legs without diving it into the ground. I only load it up like 1.25 to 1.

So the 120 is scary huh? What did you load it up at again?

Hey people with the 135 and wingsuits... SPEAK UP :)

(My emphasis.) A Diablo is not a good idea for this application. It'll be worse than that Jonathan. (I never jumped a Jonathan though. But probably, very probably ..)
Johan.
I am. I think.

stilettos 135 are a shitload of fun!!! B|

Pussy.

You've had that stiletto for, what, 50 jumps now? It's time you downsized. :|

If anyone thinks I'm not kidding, or that I support/encourage agressive downsizing please get your head examined
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom