format

Landing a 'DownPlane' conf.

Topdock can always use a little CRW experience!

Geez! Ya take a couple days off to go to a volleyball tourney, and you get called out for not having enough experience!:S

It has been a couple of months, maybe I'm a little rusty. Anybody out there wanna try some CRW?

Jump more, post less!

This is not a two out situation ,but when you think of the wing loading ....anyway food for tought .
heres the video of the skyhawks taking it very low and even turning before seperation .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlqRf_56Y0

CRW chutes have SIGNIFICANTLY different recovery arc characteristics than sport mains and reserves.

This is not a two out situation ,but when you think of the wing loading ....anyway food for tought .
heres the video of the skyhawks taking it very low and even turning before seperation .

CRW chutes have SIGNIFICANTLY different recovery arc characteristics than sport mains and reserves.

...And, my guess would be, they'd be flying at the ground much faster in a downplane config. Even more reason to chop the main.

Think of it this way, if you don't chop the main in a downplane, there will be NO recovery arc??? Ouch!:)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

...And, my guess would be, they'd be flying at the ground much faster in a downplane config. Even more reason to chop the main.

Think of it this way, if you don't chop the main in a downplane, there will be NO recovery arc??? Ouch!:)

Well, probably. Less drag theoretically.

Oh for sure. I just didn't want someone to look at that video and think that a sport canopy would recover like that.

Oh for sure. I just didn't want someone to look at that video and think that a sport canopy would recover like that.

If you chop the main in a two out (which is the only one you CAN chop on most rigs), you'll be under the reserve (obviously). Most reserves fly very much like CRW canopies and should have short recovery arcs.

If you chop the main in a two out (which is the only one you CAN chop on most rigs), you'll be under the reserve (obviously). Most reserves fly very much like CRW canopies and should have short recovery arcs.

I doubt short enough to chop that low and not hit damn close to belly to earth. Which was really all I was getting at.

Yes, reserves aren't trimmed as steep as a main. No, they aren't trimmed as flat as a CRW canopy. Happy?

Yes, reserves aren't trimmed as steep as a main. No, they aren't trimmed as flat as a CRW canopy. Happy?

Sure. I really don't know, except that rectangular 7cell reserve should have a much shorter recovery arc than a 9 cell ZP elliptical. I've done a fair amount of crw but just with typical 7 cell mains, not specialty canopies. They seemed to recover very quickly from intentional down planes. That's just my own experience, though. YMMV,