downtoearth

Racer 2k3

The Racer still has the best safety record of any H/C system to date.

According to whom?

Nancy, I have a *tremendous* amount of respect for you, but as you know...there was a major fkup with a Racer in my world this week. That alone raises an eyebrow. Add the very specious claims in this post alone...I'd like to know who rates the containers, and adjudicates which ones have the best safety record vs sales.
ie; Javs are very popular, so its expected to have a higher number of known issues.
If the Racer isn't popular, it merely means that the fewer sold have had proportionally fewer issues.

IMO,every container system in the market are fairly safe, so that´s why we use them. Some are more popular than others and so.
I pack racers reserves for 15 years now and never had a problem or even an bad impression whenever I receive a container for a repack.
Last two small javelins I had the chance to repack(small sizes NJs/126 pdr) they showed a bag lock. I just couldn´t pull the canopy out of the freebag. Couldn´t imagine the reason why that happened as well, but it did.
So, to my humble opinion, some containers demands a better rigging and maintainence than others, and it´s owners should be aware of those particularities of each rig brand carries.
They´re all good rigs but they all fail as well.
safe jumps
PS> In Brazil and many other countries, racers
are as popular as any other rig.
prego

IMO,every container system in the market are fairly safe, so that´s why we use them. Some are more popular than others and so.

I wouldn't dispute that statement.
What I'm questioning is the "safest track record..." statement.
Safest track record would be determined by number of units sold averaged against number of rig-related incidents. Who keeps an objective database of same, and does their database support the claim of "best safety record?" "Most comfortable, easiest to pack, prettiest colors are all subjective, but "safest record" would suggest there is a record of some kind, and said record would be objective, right?

I just couldn´t pull the canopy out of the freebag. Couldn´t imagine the reason why that happened as well, but it did.

You did eventually pull the canopy out, right? Were you not able at all to determine why there was trouble? Please tell us more.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

My wife owned a racer at one point and it was garbage IMO. There are those out there that like them though and think they are a diamond in the rough, just like dolphins. For me, there is a reason everyone else jumps javs, icons, vecor3 microns, and mirages...because they are safe and work. That's why they are the most popular.

Fads come and go in equipment. You haven't been around long enough, per your profile, to have noticed such trends.

15 years from now, most jumpers will wear some rig that hasn't been invented yet. Will that then mean in the future, when jav's, icon's and vector's are the minority in popularity, that those rigs are all "garbage"?

Of course not. Just because some rig is less popular than others, does not mean it is garbage. Nor does it mean it is less safe, less well made, or anything else.

Skydivers are monkey-see monkey-do - they copy what others are doing. That's how fads are created.

Hi Paul,

No that was not the case. The canopy got stock at the upper part of the freebag(NJ Jav. size). There was too much fabric stuffed in there. The only common
thing on both rigs was that they both had the "RABBIT EAR" packaging method. The rigger folds upwards the three noses and they were packed by the same person.
Hope I could explain better.
cheers
prego

It is the bulk at the top of the reserve that is causing the problem. Was a great rig. It is now fallen behind the times. The potential is great that I admit, but without some innovation the Racer is doomed to be forgotten. If you are not on the east coast the chances are you will never see a 2K3. I didn't mention that the cutaway cables came with splits in the teflon coverings and had to be replaced, and after a cutaway the teflon broke away from around the d handle. The handle and cables had to be replaced again. To prevent this from happening again I changed it to a pillow handle. Do you think that this information is not important to anyone looking to buy a 2K3?

I do forensic work and with data to support your findings, they are meaningless. The following is my experience:When my 2K3 arrived the harness did not fit. There was a difference between what was on the order form and what arrived. They fixed it harness nicely for me, but when they shortened the main lift webs the reserve and cut-away “D” handles get pinched out of their pockets. The cut-away cables had a half twist at the mud flap, which they fixed. It arrived with splits in the red Teflon covering over the cut away cables, which they replaced.

Had a cut-away and the double RSL ripped my helmet off and the Teflon covering broke off from around the cut away D handle, which they replaced.

When doing head down the magnetic tuck tabs kept coming undone. Shipped it back and was told there was too much fabric at the top of the reserve that pushed the tuck tabs out of position causing them to let go. The tuck tab problem happened even with a reserve pack job by Jumpshack. Jumpshack modified the side flaps at the sides of the reserve by adding metal rods along their edges and putting magnets on the reserve side flaps to help hold everything down. The Racer is not a common rig anymore so finding a rigger that crafts the shape of the reserve nicely is hard to find, and now the shape of the reserve is more critical. The customer service was great, but why was so much required in the first place. The 2K3 although an improvement, it still shows its belly flying roots, and it needs a lot more than a few more magnets. There is a lot of potential in the Racer. It needs to be looked at from a new point of view otherwise they are just shooting themselves in the foot. Market share will not increase as is. I just purchased another rig.

Nancy, With all due respect, as a customer, it has been less than a happy experience for me. I feel I was let down after I purchased what I thought was the best rig out there. As for being a bit unfair, that is not true. Please think about it from my point of view. You pointed to others for most of the problems. When it leaves the door its the manufacturers responsibility. The harness didn't fit because I have an atypical body type? The measurements from the order form were not followed. The twist in the cable housings as Tim said shouldn't have been there. The twist was also in the bad direction. I forgot to mention that the Teflon was split when I received the rig. It was blamed on the cable manufacturer. The riser cover problem was blamed a a bad reserve pack job, of which one pack job was yours. The hookable helmet was blamed for the RSL ripping it off. All helmets are hookable. My head was buried in my chest, because I was warned about the RSL. If the riser covers remained secure after testing, why was the modification needed at all? Jammed reserve bags, why mention it. Please take my criticism as it was intended, an opportunity to reflect. When your very close to something, and have invested so much time and effort in it, it is hard to have a critical perspective. Blue skies

Fred, I know you and know you are fair and level-headed. I also know your Racer had some problems that the Shack should have caught in the shop. For example, a cutaway system with cracked teflon should never be put in use by the factory, regardless the cause of the issue.

I'm friendly with Nancy, too, and I know her to be fair and level-headed. I think she's a big Racer nut and it's no surprise that she's defending her product. Usually defending her product means she goes above and beyond to remedy any issue or problem.

Your 2K3, Fred, seems to have been that one that's the exception to the norm. I hate it that you had those troubles but IMO it's not a point upon which to condemn the Shack or the Racer. It's definately a good reason for Nancy to have a talk with her production staff about standards and quality.

The point that needs to be highlighted here, especially for downtoearth, is to understand the Racer RSL before jumping a Racer that is RSL equipped.

Having a double-sided RSL means there are additional risks and considerations. For example, the lanyard might snag your helmet on breakaway. No need to fault the jumper; in dynamic situations looking at the handles might not prevent the RSL lanyard from riding up the neck and under the helmet edge.

Most important is the need to disconnect the RSL in a two-out situation because if the reserve is in front the main could choke off the reserve on breakaway. This is a critical point anyone who jumps a Racer with RSL needs to know and practice.

In fact John Sherman, the creator/manufacturer of the Racer, instructs the RSL should be disconnected on every jump after one has a good main.

I like Racers and I like rigging them, but they are definately a RTFM H/C system.

Edited to correct main to reserve B|

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I know a lemon comes along once and awhile and I sorry that Nancy had to play defense. I'm actually pissed off by the fact that a great system like the Racer has been left behind to die on the vine. So much potential wasted. Without innovation they are stuck in the past and can't make it to the present, while others are thinking about the future. New owners perhaps. I wish them all luck.