downtoearth

Racer 2k3

I just ordered a custom Racer 2K3 should be here in a couple weeks. Would like to hear from some people who jump them. Thoughts, opinions, likes, dislikes.

Thanks
Matt;)

I've been jumping a 2K3 since it came out. My current one has the magnetic riser covers,snap toggles and all the other upgrades. Likes: all the afore mentioned to include the leg strap hardware which is bomber and I still get asked if I just got new gear as it is very durable and still looks new. Dislikes: it doesn't pack itself.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

the leg strap hardware which is bomber

So what is Jump Shack doing with leg strap hardware?

That's one area where manufacturers have had issues trying to find the best combination of properties.

They use what is known as the SP 888 friction adapter, it's a 2 piece stainless steel friction adapter. A few other companies are also using them I believe as an additional option, it may be standard, that may vary from mfgr to mfgr.

A few pics:

HERE

here

and here
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So is the end all to end all ? Looks good,,why did the old school adapters fall out favor,,i haven't had any issue's ever with legstraps...

I am not sure what you are asking me. Standard friction adapters are still in use as are B-12s for those who want them. Leg straps slipping is an issue for some people as is strap wear over time when using a standard friction adapter. The SP 888 alleviates both issues.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Make sure you know a rigger who will pack it.

They pack differently than a "standard" rig.
Many riggers can't do them or won't be bothered.

Changing out the Quick-Loop is kind of a pain.

Personally, I think the reserve pin setup is more secure than most, but don't forget you need a 2-pin cypres for it (if you have an AAD).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Let me clarify. Everything about packing the reserve parachute into the D bag and placing it into the container is fundamentally the same as any other container out there. Where some riggers have issues is with the closing of the container and the seating of the pop top. Where brute force and mechanical leverage tools may be needed on other rigs, the Racer requires more technique than muscle. In fact, once you know a few tricks of the trade, closing a Racer is faster and easier than most other rigs.

The problems arise for riggers that don't have a lot of experience with the Racer and this usually results in them taking more time than usual, loose or wrinkled fabric on the pack tray and with a less than ideally seated pop top. All of which are due to lack of using the proper technique in packing and closing the Racer container.

My advise to anyone who owns a Racer is that if your rigger can't or won't be bothered to do a Racer, is to find another rigger. A rigger should be able to pack and close any of the parachute containers out there whether they happen to like the brand or not. JumpShack even has a DVD that shows the proper way to pack a Racer for riggers. There simply isn't an excuse for a rigger worth their salt to claim that they can't pack and close a Racer.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Let me clarify. Everything about packing the reserve parachute into the D bag and placing it into the container is fundamentally the same as any other container out there. Where some riggers have issues is with the closing of the container and the seating of the pop top. Where brute force and mechanical leverage tools may be needed on other rigs, the Racer requires more technique than muscle. In fact, once you know a few tricks of the trade, closing a Racer is faster and easier than most other rigs.

The problems arise for riggers that don't have a lot of experience with the Racer and this usually results in them taking more time than usual, loose or wrinkled fabric on the pack tray and with a less than ideally seated pop top. All of which are due to lack of using the proper technique in packing and closing the Racer container.

My advise to anyone who owns a Racer is that if your rigger can't or won't be bothered to do a Racer, is to find another rigger. A rigger should be able to pack and close any of the parachute containers out there whether they happen to like the brand or not. JumpShack even has a DVD that shows the proper way to pack a Racer for riggers. There simply isn't an excuse for a rigger worth their salt to claim that they can't pack and close a Racer.

I mostly agree.

There are a couple differences getting it into the freebag and making sure there is minimal bulk across the bottom so that you can get the bottom flap over the T-bodkin, but I agree that it is technique, training and experience that makes for a neat and clean Racer pack.

I do them (and have one to do this week), but if a rigger isn't familiar with them, and doesn't see them often enough to make it worth their while to learn, then not taking on a job you aren't qualified to do isn't all that bad IMO.

However, if a rigger has a steady customer who gets a Racer, then he should be willing to learn how to do them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

There are a couple differences getting it into the freebag and making sure there is minimal bulk across the bottom so that you can get the bottom flap over the T-bodkin, but I agree that it is technique, training and experience that makes for a neat and clean Racer pack.

IMO a Racer is all about bulk management. Getting it into the freebag is no different that any other container. The way Nykolas packs in the video works well to distribute the bulk.

I personally have no problem with bulk in the bottom. I would much rather it be there than have it in the shoulders. Knowing how to distribute the bulk helps with all pack jobs but it is really needed for a Racer to look good.

They are shooting themselves in the foot. When my 2K3 arrived the harness did not fit. There was a difference between what was on the order form and what arrived. The cut-away cables had a half twist at the mud flap.
Had a cut-away and the double RSL ripped my helmet off. They fixed it harness nicely for me, but when they shortened the main lift webs the reserve and cut-away “D” handles get pinched out of their pockets. When doing head down the magnetic tuck tabs kept coming undone. Shipped it back and was told there was too much fabric at the top of the reserve that pushed the tuck tabs out of position causing them to let go. The tuck tab problem happened even with a reserve pack job by Jumpshack. Jumpshack modified the side flaps at the sides of the reserve by adding metal rods along their edges and putting magnets on the reserve side flaps to help hold everything down. The Racer is not a common rig anymore so finding a rigger that crafts the shape of the reserve nicely is hard to find, and now the shape of the reserve is more critical. The customer service was great, but why was so much required in the first place. The 2K3 although an improvement, it still shows its belly flying roots, and it needs a lot more than a few more magnets. There is a lot of potential in the Racer. It needs to be looked at from a new point of view. I just purchased another rig. I have a real nice 2K3 for sale. Interested?

Its a nice rig, quit whinning....so you hit a little pothole in the road, big deal. Humans make the stuff and from time to time shit happens. Just your turn....the new style is plenty safe to sit fly , back fly,,etc,,etc. Just ask some of the users....:D don't bash and run.....go skydive and have fun.....:P

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

IMO a Racer is all about bulk management. Getting it into the freebag is no different that any other container. The way Nykolas packs in the video works well to distribute the bulk.

I personally have no problem with bulk in the bottom. I would much rather it be there than have it in the shoulders. Knowing how to distribute the bulk helps with all pack jobs but it is really needed for a Racer to look good.

Is a packing paddle required to put the main in the bag with a Racer?

Is a packing paddle required to put the main in the bag with a Racer?

Considering I don't use one for packing Racer reserves, I don't see why you would need one for the main. :P Bulk management is all about the packing technique not the tools.

My wife owned a racer at one point and it was garbage IMO. There are those out there that like them though and think they are a diamond in the rough, just like dolphins. For me, there is a reason everyone else jumps javs, icons, vecor3 microns, and mirages...because they are safe and work. That's why they are the most popular.

Fred, your comments are not entirely accurate and a bit unfair. 99% of the time when we ship a Racer to a customer the fit is right. Rarely, we get it wrong for various reasons. Sometimes a measurement can be inaccurate or a customer may have an atypical body type.

Half twist of cutaway cables? This is not an issue and has no effect on anything. In fact having a half twist in one direction or the opposite allows for the cutaway handle to sit more forward or closer to the body, depending on your preference.

If the RSL “ripped your helmet off” as you say, then it is the fault of the snaggable helmet, and not the RSL. The RSL did its job and saved your life! Besides, you’re supposed to keep your head forward when you cut away (eyes looking down at your reserve handle).

I’ll give you that we should have anticipated the handles bumping up against the hip junction when the MLW was shortened by an inch. We usually provide our 3” Mini Helwedge handle in the instance of a short MLW on a ringed harness, rather than the standard 4” length handle.

When your rig was shipped back to us, we repacked the reserve, I put two jumps on it myself, freeflying, back-tracking and sitflying. The riser covers stayed closed in freefall.
When properly packed and maintained the Racer is more than suitable for all types of flying.

We did not put “metal rods” on your Racer. We embedded some wafer thin magnets along a portion of the reserve side wall, and then bound in a flexible plasti-coated SS cable correspondingly in the riser covers, which attracts to the magnets. We always avoid stiffeners whenever possible as they are wear points and invite half hitching of lines. It’s my understanding that you have not even seen the improvements to your rig, and that it is still in the hands of your rigger. You really should wait to see and evaluate the change before you make such a mis-statement.

Yes, the Racer is unique among harness/container systems. The Racer still has the best safety record of any H/C system to date. It’s the only one that is guaranteed to release its reserve within 100 feet after AAD fire or ripcord pull with the main still packed. That is still a huge issue with the so-called popular rigs. While other manufacturers are scrambling to fix the problem of jammed reserve bags that we anticipated nearly 25 years ago - and avoided, we are satisfied that Sherman did it right the first time.