swoopfly

Skyhook ?

Go search,

But, it's only available on two brands of rigs. It adds complication. It helps in a few specific situations. It's expensive. It's still undergoing modification and updating, meaning I don't consider it mature.

Some of us don't promote it, yet.

The answer to thess?

It available on the best rigs on the market. (I disagree)
It doesn't add complication beyound what your rigger should be able to handle (KISS)
What's you life worth? (If it's worth that much don't skydive. It has arguably added complication to some incidents and behaps contributed to a fatality (So have all innovations))
All innovations undergo development. ( But I dont' want it to do it on my back.)

Lots will argu for it. Many of us don't believe it's a reason to pick a rig and might not get it anyway even if we choose a rig you can get it on.

For me, not worth the complication, cost, risk, and it's not on a rig I'd choose. There is another Main Assisted Reserve Deployment (MARD) device that is available to any manufacture to use without license fee. Non have implemented it so far.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It's good this question has finally been asked for the first time.[:/]

The search function is your friend.

I don't disagree with your response, but I've got to say that it's high time to put "The search function is your friend" to rest.

That's got to be one of the most hackneyed phrases on this forum.

:P

I don't disagree with your response, but I've got to say that it's high time to put "The search function is your friend" to rest.

You are right. It should be, "The search function is MY friend". That way if people actually used it, we would not get the same questions over and over and waste bandwidth. :|:)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

A good way to see if it has been talked about is doing a search. You may find the answer you're looking for. The search function is located (in this case, upper right)

I agree with newguy. ;)

Edit to waste bandwidth. That's got to go too :D

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Can some1 please post links to the incident in which skyhook complicated things further? Just in rpocess of ordering new rig and I'm still not 100% on this one.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I'd vote for "Just my $.02" Or perhaps, "+1".
But I digress.

Skyhook is the bees knees, the mutz nuts, the dogs bollocks. The skyhook is the shit!

A reserve over your head in 1.8 seconds? Holy Fuck!

I have ordered dozens of microns in the past few months with only 1 person opting to not go with the skyhook..

I think the video you are searching for is where the guys rig hits the wing of the cessna as he is on the strut and it pulls the bitch out. I dont think that is a skyhook issue, more of a guy maybe not use to getting out on the strut of a cessna and having his rig hit the wing above his back. (gear awareness, awareness of surroundings?) its not like the skyhoook jumped out of this container and latched on to the wing or door or whatever pulled it out.
Cant find the video but it is sure was one scary video, and not cause of the skyhook.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Cant find the video but it is sure was one scary video, and not cause of the skyhook.

It would not have happened without the skyhook which leads me to believe it was a skyhook related incident. In almost every case if something solves one problem it has the potential of creating different problem/s. Having crawled out on the wheel of a Cessna many times I know it is very easy to bump your rig against the wing or door.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I agree, but now seeing it has happened the lesson should be learnt and solved.

'when climbing out on the wheel of a cessna be extra careful not to bump your rig on the wings if you have a skyhook, or just dont do it.'
Its not the skyhooks fault anymore, the jumper is now aware that extra attention and care is needed and is aware of the possible scenario.

Just as we learn from everything else that happens.

A HP canopy with a low turn can mean you are going to hit the ground hard, so we make sure we turn high enough. its no longer the canopies fault if we hit the ground hard, it is the jumpers fault.

With everything we buy in life we need to care for those things and be aware of the attention those items need. Obviously if you own a skyhook then you need to make sure you dont bump that rig on the wing of a plane above your head.

Camera guys make sure when they have a camera on their head they dont climb out and smack the camera on the wings, skyhook owners now have something to look out for.

It applies in so many situations, dont let your reserve handle catch on anything or it could kill you while climbing out of a plane.... dont let your skyhook catch on anything as climbing out of a plane as that too could kill you.

With everything new in life comes more ways we can kill ourselves, or more ways we can protect ourselves. There is a balance i believe.

I am also willing to bet that right after that incident happened Bill Booth would have been relevied he finally has something new to keep himself busy and invent a way for that to never be able to happen again.

Bill Booth is the mad genius of skydiving and his products are brilliant. I bow down to the man.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

It would not have happened without the skyhook which leads me to believe it was a skyhook related incident. In almost every case if something solves one problem it has the potential of creating different problem/s. Having crawled out on the wheel of a Cessna many times I know it is very easy to bump your rig against the wing or door.

I have to disagree with you sparky regarding this incident, it was not the skyhook that caused this incident, it was the RSL,to me there is a big difference between the 2.it was the RSL that was snagged on the door.not the skyhook itself,yes the lanyard is attached to the RSL,but that has nothing to do with it.
the question is would this incident have happend if that guy had NO RSL?
so does that mean we should all remove our RSL incase it gets snagged somewhere?
I will admit that i am a big supporter of the RSL and Skyhook,and so long as it is stored and secured correctly it should not cause a problem and is safe.
on that incident it look to me that the RSL was not tucked away correctly in the first place,it was sticking out and thats how it managed to get snagged.

just my 2 cents worth

rodger

That video was RSL pulled out by door handle. That was jumper fault as he could have snagged reserve cable as well and have a really bad day with or without skyhook.

I would still like a link to an accident in which skyhook made things worse that they would be without skyhook. I keep hearing about "those" accidents but nooone seems to be able to provide me with a report or a video.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I am also willing to bet that right after that incident happened Bill Booth would have been relevied he finally has something new to keep himself busy and invent a way for that to never be able to happen again.

Bill Booth is the mad genius of skydiving and his products are brilliant. I bow down to the man.

Bill or his team of engineers that he has intellectual rights over

Sorry but nobody here is actually saying these stories you 'keep hearing'. So unable to provide you with any videos to whatever stories you are hearing.

I would suggest you google the stories you keep hearing or maybe use the search function.

At the end of the day, if such videos are on this website, the person who shows them to you is going to have to use the search function to find them for you. Seems to me that is something you could do just as easily rather than have someone do your searching for you.

There is a link to the search function in the top right hand corner of every page in the forums. Just type in 'skyhook video' and see what comes up.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I did search this forum and I did found posts where people mentioned that skyhook _might_ cause line twist from spinning mal or cause entanglement with camera equipment.

Apart from this "might incidents" I have not been able to find one where it was decided that skyhook was the cause of the mal or has worsened it.

But I do appreciate the smartass "use search" reply... I know I use it a lot :p

:)
You should keep this forum clean & not calling any product or mfg. the way you named the system in your post.

If you do not like the system - just say that and / or give a PRO list of Pros & Cons.

The skyhook has nothing to do with the Cessna accident - the item should not be there at first time & the owner should take care his lanyard is well coverd & protected.

The system have a lot of PROS & it is easy to handle if you know your work as a rigger & you know the spec. The main issue is that there are riggers in the market who does not know the system - not on the Vector & not on the Javelin.

Like any system on the market they might be issues as well which might be discoverd with the time or during action & being solved / clean after that.

Some will point to NC Tandem fatality few month ago - it all started from the TI error /Very LOW altitude deployment of the main (around 2500')

I saw some Vector, Sigma, Javelin deployments with Skyhook & also with the Staging Loop / Split lanyard on the Vector / Sigma - NO issues - worked great.

Your opinion will be well respected all time it will be "mouth clean" & PRO.

Think about !!!

You should keep this forum clean & not calling any product or mfg. the way you named the system in your post.

If you do not like the system - just say that and / or give a PRO list of Pros & Cons.

The skyhook has nothing to do with the Cessna accident - the item should not be there at first time & the owner should take care his lanyard is well coverd & protected.

The system have a lot of PROS & it is easy to handle if you know your work as a rigger & you know the spec. The main issue is that there are riggers in the market who does not know the system - not on the Vector & not on the Javelin.

Like any system on the market they might be issues as well which might be discoverd with the time or during action & being solved / clean after that.

Some will point to NC Tandem fatality few month ago - it all started from the TI error /Very LOW altitude deployment of the main (around 2500')

I saw some Vector, Sigma, Javelin deployments with Skyhook & also with the Staging Loop / Split lanyard on the Vector / Sigma - NO issues - worked great.

Your opinion will be well respected all time it will be "mouth clean" & PRO.

Think about !!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO :D:D:D:D

That was hillarious. Great post mate.

First of all, I make a living by selling skydiving products.
Secondly, the comments I made were compliments in slang.

I am not going to change who I am because I sell a product.

I am not American, we have different slang compliments than you guys do. For example, you go up to a girl where I come from and say "Hey Dog', you are going to get knocked out. Though in America you have some fat guys on a family tv show calling everyone a dog.

Bees Knees, Mutz Nuts, 'is the shit', are very high praising compliments outside of America.

Sorry you only read the first line of my post and jumped to conclusions.

Thanks for your concern though.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

So whats stopping you from buying a Skyhook?

Not kidding you, I have so many people who have never wanted a RSL, now buying microns with skyhooks.
Have a look of the videos of these things in action.

if you cant find anything that says or shows you why you should not get one, then stop looking and go and buy one.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

It adds complexity to the system.

So does AAD. And triring. And square chutes. But there are more pros than cons from these, I'd like to do the same for skyhook. So far it's more pros than cons.

I do not ignore nothing - I do jump sigma with skyhook & staging loop / split RSL lanyard.

NC tandem fatality does started from TI error.

No one said that the Skyhook was the factor.

You can say the same on the AAD - no AAD no reserve container opened.

Each system has PRO & CONS - some will save you, some might put you in a corner.

Be Safe !!!