HoldtheIce

Blue Colored Goggle Lenses...Any Opinions ?

Hi there

How dark is the tint in the goggles and when do you mainly plan to use them?

It's important to use a goggle that has a decent UV block and a good quality tint.

I personally wouldn't use blue as a colour as it may increase glare in some situations - people often use a yellow low light contrast filter specifically because it blocks blue light ...

Brown / Gray / Green are the main sunglass tints followed by yellow / orange as contrast filters (think skiing goggles) some sunglasses have a blue mirror coating but this is not the same as a blue tint ...

Either way find a pair that you like and that fit you well - unless you have a specific need or are spending a lot of time jumping in bright sunshine your choice of tint colour will probably have little effect - just make sure that the goggles block out the UV etc ...

Regards

James

Often you will not be allowed to jump tinted goggles until you're off student status/have your A/ ... So ask your instructor first.

BTW I hate blue, I always jump clear goggles for better contact with tandem passengers and clear, yellow or purple ones when shooting FS4 and the like. The yellow actually helps, the purple is my suit color so looks kewl and it doesn't seem to hinder me any, while jumping blue or red tinted goggles definitely bothered me a lot. YMMV.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Anyone have any Pro's / Con's on blue goggle lenses?

Thanks! :)
~H

From an eye doctor.. stay the hell away from blue lenses. Blue wavelengths scatter the most and cause the most glare in the eye, so your vision won't be nearly as good. Second, blue wavelengths cause the most damage to the eye of all the visible light wavelengths and have been linked to macular degeneration, so from a health standpoint they aren't good for you.

Personally, I hate jumping with people that wear tinted goggles because I can't see their eyes or where they are looking, and that's a huge loss of communication from them.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I have jumped using several different colors of goggles. Blue is the only ones i didn't like. They screwed up my depth perception so bad i threw them away! I was just thankful that they were making me flare too high as opposed to too low.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Clear google are the best for eye contact. A glance + face language can be very meaningful in freefall when other people can see your eyes.
Another case of Function versus Fashion. Go for the Function first.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Clear google are the best for eye contact. A glance + face language can be very meaningful in freefall when other people can see your eyes.
Another case of Function versus Fashion. Go for the Function first.

Some (many) of us have sensitive eyes and for us, FUNCTION is having some kind of tint. Can't get much eye contact with someone screwing up their eyes.

I use a neutral tint to avoid color distortion.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.