Zee

Please make sure your seats and tray tables...

statistically speaking, you would have to spend 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, for 26,000 years, on a commercial airliner, in order to die in a crash.

How long will it take for 5 days a week, 10 hours per day, about 700-800 flights per year? :S:D

Fuck if I know:D:D
My guess would be - A very long time:D

Action©Sports

No.

This story is obviously fabricated and I'm surprised so many people (including Chris Schindler) was taken in by it.

1. It would be impossible to take off in a loaded four-engined jet airliner on only three engines due to asymetric thrust. You would have to use two engines, not enough to get airborne on any normal runway.

2. The straps shown would not survive the wind-induced torque and buffet of actual flight for more than a few minutes, should it be possible to get airborne at all.

It is more likely that the (clearly damaged) fan was strapped like that for transport, and someone made this whole story up. China maintains a very high standard of aviation safety as far as I'm aware.

--
ZZZzzzz....

Actually my brother works for one of the major aircraft engine manufacturers (was a final test engineer at that time), and remembers the story.

Here's what he had to say about it:
"It’s been about three years since that happened, they really did tie the blades with a seat belt. Since I didn’t see it first hand I can’t say for sure, but at the time it made news. What had happened is that they had ingested something and damaged the fan, so when the fan spun it was very out of balance. To prevent the fan spinning, they tied it to the vanes behind the fan, then flew this way. I don’t remember offhand if they were loaded or not. I also remember that of the four engines, only one was in flightworthy condition, the other two had internal problems that were serious. The airplane stayed on the ground a long time after this."

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy, I'm not convinced. The straps do not appear to be seat belts (see attached, look closely at the buckle). The strap shown looks like an adjustable packing strap (similar to attachment) Look at the way the belt is stitched back as well - not a seat belt.

I don't believe that seat belts (or any other strap for that matter) would survive the stresses induced by actual flight.

As I said in my earlier post, the fan was most likely strapped down for transport.

Edited to add - DrunkMonkey's post is also relevant here. Same pics, different airline. Well, I hope so. I'm flying with Sabena tomorrow.

--
ZZZzzzz....