funks

Why would a skydiver not pack his own rig?

The gear check thread had numerous responses from people saying they just simply dont want anyone touching their gear. I can totally understand that.

With that said, I am amazed at how many people use packers. I have seen packers just cram that shit in there like there is no tomorrow. Sorry, but I need to know how it is going in, so i will have an idea as to how it is coming out...only way to know that is to pack it myself....and to be honest, the only person i trust doing this is myself.

Instructors that are hotloading i can understand, but what about the average skydiver...

Why would someone not pack their own rig?

I don't pack for myself very often at all. Basically since I had been a packer for a good while, I got seriously burned out on packing.

Morgan, my fiance, who is a packer, packs for me. If she doesn't pack it, a trusted packer will.

Other then that, I'm not a big fan of random people packing my rig...but I have used random packers before being in a hurry for a debrief or a dirt dive...

In the same respect, I inspect the shit i can see before I put the rig on...once its on, I know its right unless I know I snagged my rig. I won't get a gear check unless I feel like I snagged my rig or bumped it oddly, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As a former packer, I had quite a few regulars who just couldn't do it. For whatever reason, that I generally didn't question because I liked their money, they sucked at it. They felt it was safer for me to do it for them. It may have been since they had maybe fifty pack jobs and two reserve rides and I had thousands with only one (even though to many onlookers I would "cram that shit in there like there is no tomorrow").;)

When I was a regular fun jumper I learned to pack as was expected.

I sucked at it. Took me forever and that bag would never cooperate.

I would rather spend the $$ to have someone who does it fluently pack for me.

Besides, I don't wanna break a nail or get all hot and sweaty and dirty packing. ;)

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

Most of the time, I pack for myself. However, there are times when I treat myself to a packer - a boogie or if I'm demoing a canopy. At a boogie, I'm there to do the jumps and not tire myself out packing. I will find a packer that either I or someone I trust knows and will let them pack my gear and be very specific that they are my packer and no one else. The same applies when I'm demoing a canopy - as I want to pay very close attention to what the canopy will do and put it through it's paces. I will check my gear thoroughly before putting it on, however.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Two words---
Lazy Ass

I hate to pack!
It is real work, bending, smashing, sweating, more smashing, cramming, pulling, streatching, moving the brick, more pulling and stretching, punch, pull, punch pull, fold and stuff.....

--------------------------------

Ques: Master, why do birds sing?
Guru: They do not have to pack.

Nothing wrong at all with people that choose not to pack. When you build a relationship with a trusted packer, you know you're in good hands. Most people that are jumping at a new DZ will ask who is a good packer etc. For some people packing kinda ruins the fun of a day of jumping. If i could afford a packer, you bet i'd use one. But for now i AM the packer for those that can afford one.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I've packed for myself and I've used packers.

If I'm jumping for myself and can take my time, I'll almost always pack for myself. If I'm doing team training, back to backs or I have to do other things between loads, it's worth it to me to have a packer. I have a couple that I use on a regular basis, but I'll use any of the ones at my home DZ.

Just a couple fo jumps shy of 2400 and so far, no reserve rides. Maybe half of those were packed by somebody else.

I will admit that some packers are a bit rougher on your gear than you might be yourself, but as far as the actual pack jobs go I certainly trust them as much as my own.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I learned to pack as a student and did it about 40 times because they made me...and I hated it. It took me forever to get those big ol student canopies into the bag. By the time I was finished I'd be really frustrated. Once I got my license I started using packers, but had planned to start packing myself when I downsized to a smaller canopy. But I got lazy, plus I did a lot of coaching jumps and camps where they encouraged me to use a packer so I could spend more time training. Now that I finally have my own gear, I want to start packing, but not until I've put about 50 jumps on it. I watched the packers this weekend getting that brand new slippery thing into the bag and it did not look like fun. :P

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I'm one of those people who don't like to have their gear messed with on the plane. But I also use a packer a lot of the time. What does that make me?? :D

To be honest, I trust ONE person other than myself to pack for me, Jim P at Skydive Tecumseh. He is probably the most caring and trustworthy packer I've ever known. Every pack job is consistent, he gladly accepts feedback/critisism, he's willing to adjust his packing to fit your needs, etc etc etc.

Why use a packer in the first place?? Sometimes I'm lazy, sometimes I'm busy working - debriefing a student or editing a video - and I just don't have time. I do know how to pack and I do maintain my gear.

I watched the packers this weekend getting that brand new slippery thing into the bag and it did not look like fun.

It's not fun, but you learn to keep it under control and I bet if you tried, you'd get it after 5 or so pack jobs.

I don't enjoy packing, myself, but I do it because a) I prefer to spend the $ on jumps, and b) I like on heading openings, and I know how my canopy likes to be packed. I admit, i'd like to get a packer at a boogie, but it'd have to be someone I trust, and I'd have to watch them pack it the first time at least.

-A

Because I hate packing. >:(

I go out to the DZ to enjoy myself and relax. Packing is not enjoyable or relaxing to me. I know the packers that I use very well. I will pack my own when I don't have a packer around though; I'm just r-e-a-l-l-y slow. :P (Arthritis in this right hand I keep re-injuring makes packing actually pretty painful for me too. :()

And I know my rigger, so I have confidence that my reserve will open should I have any troubles anyhoo...:)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

There have been a lot of threads about this. It's not always true, but do a search and take a look at what DZs the people jump at that don't pack. It's mostly a big DZ thing.

I hate packing but almost never use a packer. My DZ doesn't have any full time packers, so it's either pack yourself or have a years supply of rigs.

I used a packer over the summer after injuring my knee, and used one at Deland when I rented gear cause they require a staff packer to do the final pack job before turning the gear back in. Funny thing was I had already packed it, then it started to rain so I had to unpack it to let the packer repack it.

Dave

I'll use a packer when I'm going up 10 - 15 minutes after landing, but I have something to do before then -- like debrief or take a dump. It's always fun to relay the reason, too. "Hey, can you get me on a 10 minute call? I have to take a shit."
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I'm one of those people who don't like to have their gear messed with on the plane. But I also use a packer a lot of the time. What does that make me??

It makes you dead sexy!! :)

I am amazed at how many people use packers. I have seen packers just cram that shit in there like there is no tomorrow. Sorry, but I need to know how it is going in, so i will have an idea as to how it is coming out...

You can sit on the side line and watch a packing mat for five minutes and tell who you want and DO NOT want touching your rig. For the most part packers know what they are doing, and will catch small stuff on your rig that the average new jumper would not. Packers can keep you on that 10 minute back to back, they change your rubber bands, and your closing loops. And most know how to pack your canopy for a soft opening. So the question is not, "Why would someone use a packer..." The question is "Why wouldnt you tip your packer"

In addition...If you are averaging less than .27 jumps a day you dont need a packer. ;)

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

I pack for myself. I am painfully slow at it; but, I use it as a little down time. Also because I am so slow at it, I get to meet everyone at the DZ while I slowly pack my rig. The worst is when one guy packed 4 rigs for his 4 way team while I was still wrestling with my pull up chord. :)

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I trust sunny more than I trust myself...ok, ok...I'm just a really lazy sonofabitch

You're one of my bestest customers!! You always tip me and even buy me gatorade and soda during the day. Keep it up and you'll keep getting the soft openings. :D

cuz i don't trust my own packing job even though i know i do it right? :P
actually it's funny, i've never jumped a rig i've packed. but i've seen about 100 or so i've packed go up and all open no porblem at all! i was taught by the best;)

but i suppose once i get back into it i'll start jumping rigs i've packed