NeverTooLow

2nd Main

Hello
My CReW Team was trying out some "crazy" things for fun and show, where one is performing a cutaway out of the formation.
How can we have a 2nd main with cutaway?

I have seen some "through out" systems just hold in front of your belly in videos, but I don`t know how exactly it is made.
My rigger never did something like this so we would be happy for any input/photos from an experianced rigger.

Thanx a lot...
Rome

Jumpshack changed some of my Racers over to having a second "large ring" for risers to attach to just below the regular one. It makes for a clean setup. We just have a "soft housings" we made up for the cutaway handle to go through and then I wear the secondary cutaway handle on the chest strap.

First off, cutting away a canopy to go up and wrap around the rest of the stack doesn't sound like a good thing. But surely you've thought of that.;)

Never mind... I started writing a long description of a couple of ways but decided I didn't want to give make it yourself advice in the forum.:S

You can get commercial cutaway rigs from a couple of places. I think Rigging Innovations makes them for the Golden Knights. What I don't like about them is that you HAVE to open the canopy intended for cutaway before you can open your main. It's packed in a second container on top of the original main. The knights used to use canopies you did NOT want to land, and I think they still do. I like being able to abort the cutaway and land what's over my head. Strong has a cutaway rig they rent so that potential tandem masters can do a cutaway if they haven't had a real one. I jumped that one two years ago. Two main containers, two sets of cutaway housings, cables, and two sets of risers on the harness rings - and handles that mimic to some extent a strong tandem. Again a canopy that was too damn small for me to land as the first one.

Contact me if you'd like a back alley way of doing one.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Try putting a cutaway 'toggle' with cable on each riser instead of single point release. Then you can hold one three ring with your fingers, cut it away, cut the otherside away clean and streamer the canopy with a deadman release. Just let go of the first side and it's gone.

Did this with Strong's cutaway trainer rig.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I wear an empty BASE harness under my sport rig, and pack the main in a trashbag, and deploy 1 sec after exit. this gives me separate low profile cutaway handle that's not exposed, yet provides for a clean cutaway. after that I deploy my regular main via the "standard" method. the problem with rigging tersh rings, is that you also need to rig a safe and snag-free release system. Think of Jarret Martin's accident...

I have a pair of risers that are designed to hold two canopies off of one set of main (large) harness rings... pictures attached. They seem to be designed to be used with reverse main risers and don't need an extra cutaway handle, just pull the yell tabs to remove the pin that secures the type 2a loop...

I might be willing to part with them, PM with any offers.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I have a pair of risers that are designed to hold two canopies off of one set of main (large) harness rings... pictures attached.
Ben

I like a lot of the design. The only problem I have with it (and others designed to stack riser from riser) is the fatality caused by an out-of-sequence release of the wrong main from such a system a few years ago. I think your's would help eliminate that with the releases being on the risers and not a second handle on the harness.

Just a thought...
JW

PS - my own system uses a second set of base rings on the MLW, but I am always looking for different methods. Thanks for sharing yours.
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...