eightate8at8

Need a first canopy..

And I'm not really sure what my options are.

So far I'm thinking:
Sabre
Sabre2
Silhouette
Storm (New and pricy?)
Safire (1 or 2?)

Strange how these are all S's:S

I've read about the first Sabre and some harsh openings, so that sort of pushed me away from that. What suggestions would you guys have?

WL on a 150 would be about 1.05

Thanks guys

and a lotus!B|

+1!!!!!

Gotta love them air locks :)
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Try to get a used Triathlon or Spectre or even Sabre1 (there are ways to fix the openings). You'll probably find used canopies like these really cheap. For now save the money to jump!;)

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

The Spectre is a great canopy. As others have said its a tame 7 cell and easy on the body with its built in snivel and easy to flair an land. The silhouette on the other hand is a good canopy to fly and pack but the landing demands more attention to timing the flair, just like the Triathalon.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

If you want to travel in the air or come back from a long spot and have a very strong flare, choose a 9 cell Sabre 2. If you want to get a more steep descent take a 7 cell Storm which is in a way the successor of the Spectre. If you want something with very light toggle pressure, travel a lot in the air, easy packing and average flare choose the PD 9 cell Pulse.
Talk about that to an instructor who knows you very well. Your canopy has to reflect what you need and what kind of flying you prefer. B|

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Try to get a used Triathlon or Spectre or even Sabre1 (there are ways to fix the openings). You'll probably find used canopies like these really cheap. For now save the money to jump!

+ 1^infinity = lim[x->infinity] 1^x
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Wouldn't it be kind of a big step for a beginner to be loading a sabre 2 at 1.0? Just because it is slightly tapered? I dunno, I just thought I heard that somewhere, and a reason I steered away from it as my first canopy.

To the OP, I am jumping a Spectre 170 loaded at 1.07. I love this canopy, even though I can't compare it to anything besides the student gear, I don't have to much problem getting back from semi long spots. The flare is good, but I am still learning to perfect it. The openings are very soft, but I find very hard to control during the packing process, I almost always open off heading a bit, but I am getting better at packing it to avoid this. Hope this info helps. GL

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Wouldn't it be kind of a big step for a beginner to be loading a sabre 2 at 1.0?

Not at all. All of SDDallas's student gear is Sabre 2's. The student's jump at normal WL up till A lic. Sabre 2 is a great canopy to learn from.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

A slightly tapered canopy like the Sabre 2 shouldn't be a problem at all even for beginners. BTW the Spectre is slightly tapered too if my memory is good. The advantage of the Sabre 2 is that it is a 9 cells and will provide you a stronger flare than a 7 cells. Remember that your student canopy was a 9 cells.

Is this the same Nitro that the Dutch parachute federation mandate a minimum of 700 jumps before flying?

Some people may describe it as moderate, but it's fully elliptical and still probably a little on the unforgiving side at your stage of the game.

It's possible you know this and are just trolling, in which case well done, ya got me. Otherwise... keep shopping :)

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

The Nitro is a full tapered canopy and has almost the same shape than a Katana (seen from above). The big difference between those canopies is that the Katana has a 18 degrees trim angle while the Nitro has only 13.5 degrees. BTW I jumped both of them and they are not for beginners.