skybytch

T Shirts (A Retailer's Rant)

I have come to detest t shirts. Not because I don't like wearing them, not because we don't sell a lot of them. I have come to detest t shirts because people don't seem to be able to decide if they want them or not without taking each one they are interested in, unfolding it, holding it against thier chest and then tossing the ones they don't want back onto the shelves any which way they can.

I'm serious. Take a look at the attached pictures. This is minor compared to how I've seen these shelves after just one customer!

How hard is it to put something back where and the way you found it? If they are totally incapable of refolding a tshirt, why not hand it to the person working the store and say "Sorry, I'm totally incapable of refolding this tshirt"? Do they really think that a medium tshirt with one design on it is going to fit differently than a medium tshirt with another design will?

Can you tell I'm tired of folding the same damn shirts over and over and over and over? ;)

Thats why specialty stores (hot topic,spencers etc) Have the T Shirts on hangers.

Yeah, I've tried that. I think using hangars is more labor intensive. The way I have them displayed requires folding, size tagging and refolding; using hangars requires size tagging both the shirt and the hangar, price tagging and putting them on the hangars, plus those that don't go out on display have to be folded to go on the shelves in back anyway.

I try to fold them back nice. it would be great though if T-shirt sizes were a bit more universal. Sometimes i just grab a med & buy it, it ends up being a micro med & i shoulda bought a large; but now I'm prob 1200 miles away from the place i bought it & can't really return it.

also, sizes in a more accessable viewing area would be great. lake wales has sizes organized by shelf - that is a GREAT idea!!

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Ok how about making a display. Get some cardboard hang on shirt showing the design up so people can see it. Then under that have the folded shirts. Hell you can use a hanger with the shirt up in the open so that can see the design.

This way they can see the design without having to hold it up and mess up your folded shirts.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Get some cardboard hang on shirt showing the design up so people can see it. Then under that have the folded shirts.

Wow. That's a great idea! So great I stole it from another gear store months ago! :P

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.

BBWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA-ha... ha... uh....oh bother.

I feel you Bytch. I believe I have folded close to a million T-shirts in my life. That is no lie. It's particularly bad at boogies. Because you fold the same damn shirts every feakin' day.

In my store, however, I have a circular rack and a T-Shirt wall. All the folder shirts are OUT OF REACH!

On the wall I have one each, S, M, L, XL, XXL. They hang on a cascade display and look pretty good.

As it sells, the clerk replaces it. If the customer wants 4 of one size, they can be found on the circular rack or the clerk can get them for them.

I used to have them folded in the center of the store, but it just got to me after a while.

If it makes you feel any better, you can stop by in Rantoul, and mess up some of my shirts. Kinda like some F'ed up therapy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

The real problem is there is no packing course. I had to teach myself.

I've even got that double vertical fold in the back of table-stacked long sleeve shirts down to a science and can shake em' out, yet fold 'em back up so quickly, that thought about have a fold-off contest with the indian guy that works at the J.C Penny.

Yes, fairly useless, unmarketable skill, but still, I kick shirt folding a**. :S:S:)

We're out there Skybytch - us re-folders are out there. You just gotta have faith.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Get some cardboard hang on shirt showing the design up so people can see it. Then under that have the folded shirts.

Wow. That's a great idea! So great I stole it from another gear store months ago! :P

Bah sarcasm will get you BYTCHISIZED :P

How was I supposed to know? Give me a job out there and I'll come police your t-shirts. Stand around with a beer in one hand and a whip in the other. If they don't refold the shirts I start cracking the whip in their direction.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

As it sells, the clerk replaces it.

You have a clerk?!?!?! Dayum. Must be nice.

I gotta get me one of them. Then I wouldn't have to whine about refolding t shirts... cuz I'd have someone I could tell to do it for me. :ph34r:

If it makes you feel any better, you can stop by in Rantoul, and mess up some of my shirts. Kinda like some F'ed up therapy.

Heh. I've got nine months of refolding to expunge. Expect to see me on a daily basis. :ph34r:

I part time in a bookstore cafe. Should I tell you about the workout I get lugging approximately 300lbs of books every eight hours shift? (just me out of 2-4 employees) or the loss of money as these schmucks destroy the merchandise with their slovenly actions? or how much of a mess just three idiots with a cup of coffee can make?

The least the fuckers could do is leave a tip if their going to ask me to bus the entire freaking table. B|

If I had a digital I would show you what these people can do over a thirty minute period, from perfect to bombshelter in nothing flat.

(edit: - I'm sure RoadRash can simpathize with you even more. My poor girl has to deal with people at a free zoo near a park, in the girft shop) :S
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

You have a clerk?!?!?! Dayum. Must be nice.

I gotta get me one of them. Then I wouldn't have to whine about refolding t shirts... cuz I'd have someone I could tell to do it for me.

Well. The part I left out is that I AM THE CLERK.

However, if anyone hears my plea, I am desperately seeking part time help in the store! Flexible hours and minimal T-shirt folding!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Back when I worked for rig money at Dillard's, I worked in the most expensive section of the store. I did my own sociological study and found that the more affluent a person was, the more of a mess the dressing room was in when she left. These ladies had no consideration for the fact that we still needed to sell their discards that they left laying on the floor, inside out and in piles where they just stepped right on them. And, these were items like $200 shirts! :S They especially had no consideration for me, because I had to hang all the damn stuff back up! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Back when I worked for rig money at Dillard's, I worked in the most expensive section of the store. I did my own sociological study and found that the more affluent a person was, the more of a mess the dressing room was in when she left. These ladies had no consideration for the fact that we still needed to sell their discards that they left laying on the floor, inside out and in piles where they just stepped right on them. And, these were items like $200 shirts! :S They especially had no consideration for me, because I had to hang all the damn stuff back up! :P

Do YOU want a job in California. I would respect you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Do YOU want a job in California. I would respect you.

LOL, thanks for the offer. I'll ask my kids how they would feel about moving to CA. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

OOOOO... I want the shirt that says "don't do anything stupid..."

It is so perfect to wear behind manifest...

I couldn't wear that shirt:D But i do want a "drop shop" shirt.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.

Your display doesn't show the front of the shirts. That is part of the buying decision. And it doesn't answer the question of sizing - the definition of large is a pretty flexible one when it comes to Ts. A large from the Alcatraz Triathlon may be tight on me. A large from China will fit my 1 yo nephew after one wash. And a large from a county fair might be huge on me.

I expect unisex sizings are even worse for women to predict a fit.