DYEVOUT

Any "Diesel Dudes" inna house ??

I'm in the "Design & Parts Gathering" stage of an off-road only, rock crawling Jeep project I plan to begin next spring. I plan to start with a cheap, used '87-'96 Wrangler, and fabricate and assemble the required drive line, underbody armor and long travel, high-articulation suspension.

Most of the prime candidates for "victim vehicles" I've found thus far have one thing in common - the anemic 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, in some state of disrepair. My little beast will require more torque, but I don't want the added weight and fuel consumption of a V-8 - and I must have fuel injection, as automotive carburetors don't function well at extreme angles.

An added plus with compression-ignition diesel power would be the lack of a distributor and any ignition wiring, and it's propensity for moisture-related failure.

I'm aware that Cummins builds a 3.9 liter, in-line 4 cylinder, turbo-diesel engine, that is basically the same design as my beloved 5.9L - with 2 less jugs. I've acquired a service manual for this little guy, and it looks like this would be the ideal powerplant for my application. My problem is - I don't know where to find one reasonably priced.

I've looked on the web to see who bought these, and what they were used for - thinking I might be able to find a used one somewhere, but have had no luck. Do any of you guys have any idea where I could find one of these little monsters without taking out a second mortgage ?

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

2.5 TDi unit from an Audi or VW wreck might help.
Already comes with a turbo, and about 150 ponies out of the box. Bags of low end torque, which probably what you are after. Its a V6. And no, you can't have the one out my car;).

Or, maybe look at a wrecked Land Rover/Range Rover, diesel models are common here, but they are likely to be rare across there.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I believe isuzu also makes a small deisel engine that is more likely to be found here in the states. The problem that you are going to run into with the 3.9 cummins is availability. To my knowledge, they don't put them in any production vehicle in the us. VW, volvo, mercedes, all make smaller deisels also, and finding a donor may be easier but they are more likely to have very high miles and parts/rebuilding would be very expensive.
Have you given any thought to a smaller v-6 maybe something from chevrolet with fuel injection? Couple that with an atlasII and/or a Terra-low for the low gearing and torque required for rock crawling. Parts would be cheap and easy to find. Good luck and make sure you post some pics of the beast in the process. If you want a 79 ford bronco with a c-6, and dana 44's, swampers etc. let me know:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

- the anemic 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, in some state of disrepair.

Have you considered the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder. I own an 88" Cherokee 2 door with one and it's one of the nicest powerplants around. The auto tranny is great too.

Inline 6's have a great history of having good torque and lasting forever. They just don't quit.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The "victims" I've been looking at have all been 4 cylinders because of commonness, price, and the 4 bangers were equipped with lower geared diffs from the factory.

The '02 Wrangler (TJ) in my avatar has a 4.0L straight 6, with a 5-speed and it does work very well. I'm thinking diesel in part because I've got a Cummins Ram and have always liked the way the power comes on hard at low revs.

That, the lack of an ignition system, lower fuel consumption (I'd like to keep the fuel cell at 10gal. max.), and the "different" factor have all influenced my thinking. I also would like to shorten the front end slightly, for an increase in approach angle.

If the diesel deal works out too pricey, the old inline 6 will wind up in there. :)

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Inline 6's have a great history of having good torque and lasting forever. They just don't quit.

Good point JP, i had one in a ford pickup 4X4 and that was one of the stronges gasoline motors i ever had.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.