abyzet

Making Closing Loops

In case you want to try, I made a few closing loops with double ends. You’ll need only a longer piece of line and the same fid or wire tool. Finger trap a loop on both sides and lock them in place using Jump Shack’s sew less technique (see link). Make sure you respect the dimensions on the instructions.
Tie a knot at the same length you would do with a standard closing loop. You can actually tie 2 knots at the same distance from both ends. Install in the rig.
If the loop breaks, just flip the washer to the other side and you have a new loop right in hand and ready to be used (no need to run to your bag to look for another one).:P
I would post a picture but the rig is packed right now.
http://www.sidsrigging.com/articles/stitchless_fingertrap.htm

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

If the loop breaks, just flip the washer to the other side and you have a new loop right in hand and ready to be used:P

Not trying to pick on you, Ronaldo - but if the loop breaks, you should have replaced it a while ago.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Absolutely right, thanks. Actually, I have never waited for a loop to break before replacing. When it looks too fuzzy…it’s gone. I was too lazy to write the full sentence and ended up passing the wrong message. :(
Another thing I should add is to take care when storing the excess loop. I usually tie one or two other knots to reduce length and insert it behind the grommet.

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

1,000 lb microline works great and lasts a LONG time. You may need a double know at the end so it doesn't pull through the washer.

ds8221 pointed to "How To Make a Closing Loop". I suggest that everyone use this type of material or its equivalent. For example, Para Gear item W9680, with a number 8 flat washer.

A lot of skydivers (including many riggers) seem to think that since "microline" is so much better than older types of suspension line, that they are better for closing loops.

However, most of the newer types of line are slippery, and that make for a much less secure closing of your rig.

But you say you have seen this large microline on tandem rigs? If it is a coated cable then fine.

Also see: http://www.pcprg.com/flexcab.htm
The "Supporting Research:" paragraph.

The loft at Skydive Chicago has been using 1000 pound Flat braided Dacron, and I'm amazed at how long it lasts. I've seen their closing loops last for more than a year, used by jumpers doing 300 jumps.

If I see 1000 pound flat dacron, I very rarely replace them during repacks, while if I see other materials I will replace on every repack.

The flat dacron stuff works amazingly. The word needs to get out.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The flat dacron stuff works amazingly. The word needs to get out.

Jump Shack has been using it for the last 18-20 years.
This is the only material that I will use. It does not need a washer, just the knot keeps it in place.

Good stuff!

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

understood,,,,but would a flat washer hurt ? wouldn't it be extra safety...no ? just curious, thanx

The size of the washer need to go over the larger material would be double what you normally use.

If you use the Jump Shack loops, you just use a knot.

Also, I never liked using washers anyway as they almost always have a sharp edge on them from the manufacturing/stamping process.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

If I see 1000 pound flat dacron, I very rarely replace them during repacks, while if I see other materials I will replace on every repack.

where can you find 1000 lb flat braided dacron? i don't see it at paragear (they list 400 and 600 flat braided, and round stuff in 600 800 900 and 1575). aerostore doesn't seem to have it either.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

It is a little confusing just what Jump Shack uses.

In any case, heavier braided dacron closing loops can be really nice -- just from personal experience. The dacron isn't as slippery as spectra, it seems to wear better, the loop doesn't get as 'soft' as spectra does when it wears, and the loop has more strength than the usual type IIA sleeving (which is actually nylon).

I'm also not sure about the Jump Shack stuff. I've tried the type IV nylon sheathed line -- I think that's the type IV Jump Shack refers to. Ironically I don't even see it in their own on-line rigging supplies shop. That line is quoted as 750 lbs, but one pulls out the internal strands, with the strength of the sheathing being unclear. It's not in Poynters as best I can see. It is still a heavier closing loop than the usual type IIA sleeving.

Bringing an old thread back to try and resolve some conflicting information. First, is there such a thing as a Dacron line with inner threads (guts)?

Second, can anyone say for certain that Jump Shack is using Dacron rather than 1000 lbs Type V nylon?

I ask because I called Jump Shack and asked for 1000 lbs flat braided Dacron, and even mentioned that I want the same material that they are using for their main closing loops. They sent me 1000 lbs Type V nylon for $0.83/foot, while it's $0.80/yard from ParaGear:

http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000043/W9720/

So... are people actually using Dacron for main closing loops or are you using gutted 1000 lbs nylon?

Hmm, I checked the 1985, 1998, 2001 and 2003 Racer manuals (the latter being current) and they do indeed mention Type 5 Nylon Cord Sheathing. (1000 lbs minus 14 strands for the sheathing)

I have been using the sheathing of Type 4 nylon line (750 lbs minus 11 strands). I must have been given some information years ago leading me to believe Jump Shack used that at the time, and then buy it specifically for the Racer.... but I can't find any reference to it at the moment.

Clearly the manuals don't agree with what I chose, even if the end result of using heavy nylon sheathing is very similar.