rwieder

10 Perish In Hendrick's Motor Sports Aircraft Downing

Nascar Mogul's Plane Crashes

I know a lot of people here follow Nascar. 10 associates of Hendrick's Motor Sports were killed to day on the way to the race in Virginia. I knew something was wrong when Jimmy Johnson (Car # 48) won the race, but did not report to "Victory Lane" the URL points to the whole story. although not sky diving related, it involves air craft which of course each of us utilize on each sky dive. it will be interesting to see the forthcoming information in the days to come to see what caused this aircraft to crash.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I was watching the race with my dad. We're both Hendrick's fans. Both our hearts dropped at the end of the race when they made the announcement. :(

I'm very curious to know exactly what happened.

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 501RH Make/Model: BE20 Description: 200, 1300 Super King Air, Commuter (C-12
Date: 10/24/2004 Time: 1630

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
ACFT WAS INBOUND FROM CONCORD REGIONAL AIRPORT, NC TO BLUE RIDGE AIRPORT,
VA, RWY 30, AND MADE A MISSED APPROACH. THE ACFT CRASHED ON BULL MOUNTAIN.
THE 10 POB ARE ALL FATAL AND THE ACFT IS DESTROYED. 7 MI NW OF BLUE RIDGE
AIRPORT, MARTINSVILLE, VA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 10
# Crew: 2 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 8 Fat: 8 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: KMTV 241620Z AUTO 00000KT 5SM OVC006 14/13 A2998 RMK A01

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Approach Operation: General Aviation

Departed: CONCORD, NC JQF Dep Date: 10/24/2004 Dep. Time: 0
Destination: MARINSVILLE, VA MTV Flt Plan: UNK Wx Briefing: N
Last Radio Cont: UNKN
Last Clearance: UNKN

FAA FSDO: RICHMOND, VA (EA21) Entry date: 10/25/2004
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I've seen the fleet of pristine King Airs used by many of the NASCAR personnel at the Hazleton Municipal airport, during Pocono race weekends - each complete with it's own uniformed Dude (pilot?), wiping, polishing and cleaning meticulously during the race (which I always taped while at the DZ).

Outwardly, at least, these birds were in amazing condition - not even a squished bug.

My condolences go out to the Hendrick, and NASCAR families. As a 20-year-plus fan, I shall also be interested to see if the accident was caused by mechanical failure, weather, or human error.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

The cause of the crash was not immediately known, but it happened in rough, hard-to-reach terrain in weather described as "extremely foggy" by Dale Greeson, who lives about a mile from the site

from the article, although i think it's speculative, there is some validity in it. the wx is well known for being very foggy & hazy up there. but i would think the pilot/co-pilot would have to be IFR? Chris??
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

update from nascar.com:

NTSB: Hendrick plane failed to climb
November 5, 2004
04:25 PM EST (21:25 GMT)

MARTINSVILLE, Va. (AP) -- The Hendrick Motorsports plane that crashed Oct. 24 and killed all 10 aboard missed the approach to the airport and then failed to climb before crashing into a mountain, according to a preliminary report Friday.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the proper procedure after a missed approach at Blue Ridge Regional Airport in Spencer called for the aircraft to turn right and climb to 2,600 feet.

Instead, the report said, the Beech 200 King Air actually descended before crashing into the southeast slope of Bull Mountain at an altitude of 2,450 feet.

The crash killed the son, brother and two nieces of owner Rick Hendrick, patriarch of one of NASCAR's top syndicates. The plane was en route from Concord, N.C., to Martinsville Speedway.

The report does not draw a conclusion as to what caused the crash but it does note the plane was not certified for instrument-only flight and did not have a ground proximity warning system.

One witness said the mountain was hidden by clouds and fog that day.

Pilots of at least 20 other planes, most carrying sponsors and race fans, decided it was too dangerous to land at Blue Ridge Airport at the time and instead touched down at Danville Regional Airport, where landing in bad weather is easier.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001