Fingo86

RIG damage due to bleach

hey all,
Okay this is my first post and its a pretty weird one. Something spilled in the back of my car, i think it was Cordosyl mouthwash but i am not sure. Anyway it spilled all over my rig and unfortunately I didn't notice until recently.At first I didn't think it was too bad as all that appeared to have happened was a running of some of the colors of the rig and it appeared to only have effected the outside. But on further checking I have found that the metal loops and also the metal reserve handle have a crusty white chalk like coating on places which is very difficult to get off. Also on the chest strap where some coloring from the rig has ran the material has become slightly stiffer. I of course will be bringing my rig straight to my rigger to get it checked out, but was hoping that somebody might have experienced this before or have an idea what the hell i might of spilled on it!my greatest fear is that my rig is going to be damaged beyond repair! Anyway any comments or ideas would be much appreciated!
Regards Niall.

I did a literature search on chlorhexidine (active ingredient in your mouthwash) catalyzed degradation of Nylon and found nothing.

Looking at the structure of the molecule, I'd say it is unlikely to damage Nylon.

However, your subject line says bleach. Bleach, especially if highly concentrated, is bad for Nylon. If your rig has been stewing in bleach in your trunk for who knows how long, that's very bad.

If you are seeing evidence of corrosion of the metal grommets (due to the white precipitate being hard to remove,) proceed with serious caution.

Get your final answer from your rigger. He knows more about this equipment than I do. I'm just adding my two cents.

If you are certain it is an acid, remove the canopies/AAD/handles and soak it in a bath of water and baking soda; that will help neutralize the acid. Then wash it with clean water. It will then probably have to go back to the mfr for an inspection to see if the rig is still airworthy. If it's not, the repairs might not be too bad (i.e. new MLW's or something.)

So sorry to hear about your rig.

I hope billvon is right and the damage can be minimized and repaired.

Even if you think your car is clean and safe, consider using something like a plastic storage tub (I use Sterlite or Rubbermaid tubs) when you carry your rig in the car. You don't necessarily need to put the lid on the tub. But if you never put anything else in the tub, it will help you be sure that your rig is not exposed to all sorts of nasty things.

Best luck in getting your rig fixed!

Back when I started it was all over literature, manuals and training to look out for car batteries if you put your rig in the trunk. But these days how many people have seen a battery that can leak?:P

You just got a very bad blast from the past.

Don't hide the areas contaminated from the manufacturer or rigger. If you take it apart, and someone should very soon, take pictures before so peopel know where to look. Chemical damage isn't always obvious.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Just figured out what happened. Turns out there was a car battery left in the back of my car, it must of leaked and from what I know of conc acid that pretty much means my rig is destroyed beyond repair,dang.

Two words- GEAR BAG! ;)

-and people wonder why I put my rig in a plastic bag and THEN in a geqr bag. :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Just figured out what happened. Turns out there was a car battery left in the back of my car, it must of leaked and from what I know of conc acid that pretty much means my rig is destroyed beyond repair,dang.

Two words- GEAR BAG! ;)

-and people wonder why I put my rig in a plastic bag and THEN in a geqr bag. :D

Many of the gear bags I see are Cordura, which is to say, Nylon.

So a gear bag alone might not offer much protection against leaking acid.

That's why I recommended plastic storage tubs, like the Rubbermaid storage tubs I use.

There are tubs large enough to just toss your loaded gear bag right in.

Might as well protect your gear bag as well as your gear.

Cheap insurance against all sorts of damaging things that might be found in the car.

Tub wont FIT in the z4...;)

Okay, you got me there. Sort of. (I'm not going to give up that easy.:)
It seems to me that if you can fit the gear bag in the first place, you can figure a way to modify a plastic tub so it isn't too big, and the gear bag is isolated from anything that could damage it. Plastic tub - $10, gear not exposed to acid - priceless.

But I'll also bet that you won't find a battery that's going to leak anywhere near the gear bag in the Z4, so the point is moot in the case of the Z4.

So, let me rephrase. If you are using a vehicle where your gear bag is likely to be exposed to damaging substances, put the gear bag in a tub. If the car you drive is too small for a tub, tow a small trailer for your gear. :)

Hi twardo,

Tub wont FIT in the z4...

I'm very old school: I do not like a rig anywhere near a battery.

For quite a few years I drove a BMW with two batteries in the trunk, one on each side. I never put any gear in there. It went into the front seat beside me.

Might look a little odd in your Z4 ( Wow, that guy sure has a homely girlfriend :S ) but it works.

JerryBaumchen