bigway

PD Optimum. This year?

So it has been about 7 months since one of my customers first ordered their PD optimum 160.

Does anyone know if PD is any closer to getting these sorted out?

The last update PD officially gave out was 2 months ago.

Anyone know anything?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Last time I asked on these forums I got the "why don't you call them and ask them". I guess that's reasonable thing to do if in US but international calls are so damn expensive and phone is soooo 1876. Honestly, having up-to-date website serves much bigger crowd and you get less calls and have more free time....

Ranting aside I'd also like an ETA on bigger optimums...
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Last time I asked on these forums I got the "why don't you call them and ask them". I guess that's reasonable thing to do if in US but international calls are so damn expensive and phone is soooo 1876. Honestly, having up-to-date website serves much bigger crowd and you get less calls and have more free time....

Ranting aside I'd also like an ETA on bigger optimums...

SPEED, a reserve made by Paratec packs as small as the optimum from PD and flys very well.
http://www.paratec.de/index_start.html
click products, reserve, speed

Thanks but the speed has nothing to do with this thread.

As far as asking them goes you get pointed to their website.

I seriously can not believe how patient my customers have been that ordered these 6-7 months ago. Other customers whose rigs are a week late start sending an email a day. I have not heard from two optimum customers in 3 months or so.

Kudos to them.

I understand it is out of PD's hands, just thought i would ask again and see if someone in the know would send a pm to me, guess not.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I spoke with PD a couple of weeks ago because we too have several (11) Optimums on order. Some jumpers have opted for standard PD reserves and will swap out later...others just cancelled orders so I'll have extra stock. Oh, yay! :-)

Anywho, when I spoke to reps at PD a couple of weeks ago due to some additional orders, they said it still was out of their hands and they don't know when it will receive the final FAA approval. It could be days, weeks or months...

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I spoke with PD a couple of weeks ago because we too have several (11) Optimums on order. Some jumpers have opted for standard PD reserves and will swap out later...others just cancelled orders so I'll have extra stock. Oh, yay! :-)

Anywho, when I spoke to reps at PD a couple of weeks ago due to some additional orders, they said it still was out of their hands and they don't know when it will receive the final FAA approval. It could be days, weeks or months...

Mike

Well it just goes to show PD customers are very patient.
I have about 3 on order and 5 waiting to order

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Actually it does. If you don't want to wait forever on the optimum, order the Speed reserve, it packs even smaller than the optimum and has the main like flying characteristics..

X-fast (http://www.basik.fr/en/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=20&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28) also is the same type of reserve, low pack volume and main like canopy flight characteristics..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

The thread is asking about PD optimums, not you trying to sell Speed reserves.
Thanks, the speed is a great reserve but it has nothing to do with dealers talking about the PD optimums that they have already ordered and paid for.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Talking about the PD Optimum, not the PD reserve.

I can see why you are frustrated with the answers you are getting. They haven't address your question. I can't answer it either, but why not email them, they responded to my questions immediately that way.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

SPEED, a reserve made by Paratec packs as small as the optimum from PD and flys very well.

bigway

If you don't want to wait forever on the optimum, order the Speed reserve

bigway

The thread is asking about PD optimums, not you trying to sell Speed reserves

I ordered a pd 160 reserve in June from them and got it in July,

bigway

Talking about the PD Optimum, not the PD reserve.

It seems some people haven't seen the ball since kick off.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Its a pointless thread. I was just hoping someone might send me a PM letting me know some 'insider' information. I gave the ball a kick, it seems it only bounced off peoples heads and landed back where it was a few months ago.

Anyway, thanks for all the very helpful replies from those that gave them. I will now try and talk all my customers who have been waiting patiently something like seven months for their Optimum to buy a speed as they could have seven months ago..... NOT.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I now have a optimum that is in a five month long slot up for grabs and it has already been paid for. All you need to do is kick monky in the balls for me.

{would rather use a human than a doll to inflict pain}

P.S. if you get kicked in the balls, the person obviously did not know it was a joke and I am very sorry about that. You dont know what weirdos are on the internet. For all i know you may now have a stalker. Keep your eyes open when you leave your house.:ph34r:

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

PD put some more info on their webpage... seems FAI and PIA are too busy "debating" to approve TSO for larger optimums. I wish those guys and gals could debate a bit faster so we can finaly be able to buy larger Optimums :\
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

As per the PD website:

"9-22-09

TSO Update on Large Optimums (sizes 160-253)

At this time we still have not had informative feedback from the FAA pertaining to our request for TSO on the large Optimums. We do know that at the time PD submitted the request for TSO to the FAA there were discussions taking place between the FAA and PIA regarding the TSO criteria in general. It now appears that ongoing discussion is what is holding up our TSO request.

Unfortunately for both PD and our customers this leaves us with no TSO and no indication as to when it will be resolved. We can tell you that PD has been diligently providing information, guidance, and data to help both parties determine a conclusion to their discussion in order to move forward with the process.

Thank you again for your continued patience. We will continue to update and inform as we get information."

I've been waiting on mine for over six months now. I hate this.
I'll be whatever I want to do!

PD's statement is artfully worded. PD could use the TSO in existence right now, TSO-C23d, to certify its canopies, assuming they meet the performance standards, as they have for all the canopies they have certified since TSO-C23d came into effect in 1994. PIA's discussions with the FAA have been over the proposed standards for TSO-C23e, not C23d.

Mark

So if I understand this correctly: PD wanted to get C23e for larger optimums but C23e ceased to exist in December 2008. Will larger optimums now get C23d (probably with a lot of redundant testing because they were aiming for C23e) or do we have to wait so guys and gals come up with brand new C23e?

I have no idea what TSO standard PD was aiming for. There was considerable overlap between the standards of C23d and C23e, so I don't think there would be much, if any, redundant testing. It is PD's choice to certify under the standards of TSO-C23d now, or wait to see what the standards of TSO-C23e might be.

Mark