Douva

Would you ever try skysurfing?

You must be referring to another camera flier.

You know how I hate it when you talk about your previous "relationships".

How can we be happy if you never let them go?

I expect flowers.

:P

Skysurfing is one of those things that you either love it or you don't. And if you don't, there's no way you're going to stick with it...to give it the time and practice needed...for you to get to the point where you're having the time of your life.

For me, it's the challenge. It's the hardest thing I've ever tried. The learning curve is steep. But that's what got me addicted to it like a drug. And with every new trick I learn, I get an even bigger rush! It's just the typical, evil cycle of addiction. 100% pure adrenaline!

The best part now--with all those solos behind me--is flying with other jumpers while skysurfing! Yes, performing a very interactive routine with my cameraflyer is the total bomb (especially head-down carves!!!), but now I can also do freefly and RW with other jumpers. Just last week, I turned points with one of the guys training for 4-way. That is, I was on my belly with the board pointed to earth, doing side docks and 360s and cats...

The bottom line is that as great as carving clouds can be, it's not for everyone. It's no longer in the X-Games because you just can't go out and buy a board and start skysurfing that same day as you would buying anything else you see on the TV show like a bike or a skateboard. You first need to spend $5-10 grand on equipment and do at least a hundred skydives.

And then you're going to spend the next 100+ jumps mostly alone and all too often flailing. Others see that as a MAJOR turn-off. HOWEVER, the last two jumpers I trained have become more addicted to skysurfing with every jump...flail or not. Both bought intermediate-level boards before they got as far as ten skysurfs.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a very exciting time in the sport. Suddenly, seemingly out of no where, there's all this interest. I mean, skysurfing has been on life support the past few years. A handful of competitors. The last student I trained was over two years ago. Now, in the past two months, I've gotten 4 students and it looks like the turn out at this year's Nationals will be the biggest ever...rivaling the freefly categories. It's awesome!!!

And I hope that Douva and myself and all the other surfers can build on that excitement. Hell, I even give the girls free skysurf rides!

B|

Well, if you're really adventurous and want the rush of a life time, why don't you come on down the coast and I'll give you a skysurf ride.

As many acrobatics as you can scream for..all while the setting sun burns into the ocean. And note: I have yet to have a customer leave unsatisfied!

;)

I've always thought it looked like an incredible amount of fun. I want to try it, but for now, with 106 jumps, I am having enough fun with just learning to freefly.

I laught at myself :D for thinking, when I first saw skysurfing on t.v., that it looked really easy.

Then I began to actually learn to skydive and realized just how silly such thoughts were.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I'd like to amend my answer to "I have absolutely no interest in ever jumping out of an airplane with a board strapped to my feet, under any circumstances, or, frankly, sitting near certain skysurfers in the plane while they're flailing around trying to get their board on Jet Li-style, especially if said skysurfers are wearing their hallmark elf-tights.'

Ahem.

----------------------------------------
'Of course it hurts. The trick is not *minding* that it hurts.'
- T.E. Lawrence

I have yet to observe you in the air but I have seen you landing and seen pictures. I would love to try it one day.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Bold talk for one so young in the sport. Yes I am young too so it takes one to know one.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

How about the, from what I heard, cool combo dive with you on the board and a group of divers circled around you? Granted you got spanked for that but from what I heard it was "fun had by all."

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I voted for number 3:P:D

Douva, i'll make you a deal, AFTER nationals, you strap a camera on your head and some wings, and i'll put on that beginner board:D Should make for some "interesting" video.

LOL, you should see his face after doing a head down helicopter for 20 or so too many rotations.:D:D:D

Hey Brains, who is that sexy lurker in that picture anyway? He looks like a great skydiver to me...probably more important than the skysurfer in the foreground too! :P

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

Does anyone know whatever happened to Jay Browning?Myself and a few others around my DZ have a standing bet on that guy, and I'm wondering if he's still alive. The last time I saw him he landed once in the swoop pond while trying to surf the pond (300 jumps, crossfire 129,about 180lbs), then shortly thereafter put it in a tree. I just wanna know if I can go collect my cash yet.

There was video of him at skysurf.com of him almost burning in. It was pretty sick.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I think it would be more interesting to be the video guy. I wonder if the challenge is greater to video skysurfer man then to get good 8 way or 6 way video?

Anyway it's still something strapped to you that you have to deal with the entire skydive - you go good video guy;)
life is short so go on and live it!

it's on my list, but i dont know how serious i'll be about it till i try it.....

that said i absolutely love some of the skysurf vid ive seen... Kebe's board spinning like a top inches from the camera!? WOW.. and the distance you can cover in a carve....:o there is a video I have of Kebe carving around a freefly base as if he's standing on the outside edge of a record player and damn is he is REALLY moving out...... :o:o:o

I did some skysurf coaching with Kebe the last time I was in Eloy and it is awesome....I bought a board when I got back to the UK, and I have managed to get about 6 jumps on it (out a 185, it's not easy!)
I would do a lot more skysurfing if my home DZ had a better plane as it is really good fun....

forgive me for being a nub(check out the numba of jumps i have, but i am hooked just gotta save to finnish aff) but i think it looks really good, but is the whole point of it to help spin around, kinda aerobatics?
-------------------------------------------------------

if you wanna see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain

Will answer as best I can....

Its similar to freeflying or freestyle, yet done with a board strapped to your feet....which does kind of change how the air flow hits you.....

Its great fun.....but there is no rush dude.....all the skydiving stuff that you do before hand is great fun too....B|

Please elaborate on your answer and share any experience you've had with skysurfing.

--Douva

I'll take option 6.
I would like to eventually jump camera on a skysurf team. I almost did, but the surfer never got into it enough (last I knew, he got married and sold his gear).
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I'll take option 6.
I would like to eventually jump camera on a skysurf team. I almost did, but the surfer never got into it enough (last I knew, he got married and sold his gear).

Damn, are you a sadist??:D I fly camera for Douva. I had no idea what i was in for when i agreed to do it. Talk about fun!!B| I find myself flying in positions that i didn't know i could do just to stay with him and get the shot. Now if i could just master backflying. . . . :D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

forgive me for being a nub(check out the numba of jumps i have, but i am hooked just gotta save to finnish aff) but i think it looks really good, but is the whole point of it to help spin around, kinda aerobatics?

Think about the differences between traditional (water) surfing and body surfing. The body surfer uses his body as the control surface, while a surfer uses this long, hard, smooth (no comments, please) board. The surfer can create much quicker, cleaner moves than the body surfer. The same is true for skysurfing. Instead of using our bodies as the control surface, like other skydivers, we use this long, hard, smooth (no comments, please) board. This smooth, rigid surface allows us to create moves much faster and cleaner than freefliers or freestylists can create using just their bodies.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.