MiamiJumper

Gear longevity?

As I get closer to my A license I am starting to check out some gear to put together.

I also understand that down sizing is going to be an issue in the future so more than likely I will be purchasing used gear.

My question to you guys is I know you cant put exact numbers on it but about how long will all this last?

Container?

Main and reserve chutes?

Alti?

And also if there is any of you that have cranked out numbers on a certain chute or container it would be cool to hear your number.

THanks for all the input!!!

David [dude3698]

They will last as long as you take care of them.

Downsizing does not have to be an issue. You should easily be able to get 500 jumps out of your first container and reserve. Buy something that was built to fit the canopies you want to put in it and you should be able to safely downsize your main twice before you will NEED something smaller. And if you take good care of it, you should be able to sell it for a few hundred less than you paid for it when it's time.

I know people with thousands and thousands of jumps on the same container. It's all about how you take care of it.

I know some people with 3000+ jumps on their mains. I had one go away on me at about 1200 jumps. Again, how you take care of it matters. Where you jump it can also matter (jumping in desert areas - Perris, Eloy - tends to reduce canopy longevity).

A reserve will last as long as your rigger says it's airworthy.

Personal experience, assumes well maintained/cared for...

Vector I >1000 jumps, retired at 18 years
Reharnessed once

Vector II >1000 jumps, 18 years
Reharnessed once

Reserves - depends more one number of repacks/uses. for calculation purposes, see PD's policy on recertifying after x# jumps/repacks. might get more life than that, but good for budgeting.

F-111 mains - retired most of them at around 500 jumps due to decreasing performance. Plan on a reline at around 200-300 jumps.

ZP mains - have never retired one. Have heard 1000-2000 jumps with relines running ~300-500

Soft links - retire with each reline

Helmet / Altimeter / Audio - with care, you'll just keep using them until you want something more better

Goggles - depends on your ability to see through scratches

Jump suit - how are your landings?? ;) Several hundred to several thousand... but you'll want new ones every so often (or for different uses)

-----------
On TSO'ed gear age - There are many GREAT condition, usable rigs over x number years. HOWEVER, older gear should NOT be treated/used like newer gear. 1990's gear is not usually designed for anything but belly flying. 1980's gear is not understood by the guy giving you a gear check. Issues with 1970's gear may not be known by your rigger who was born in the 80's. AND then there is the move within some significant portion of the industry to retire gear over 20 years old (this gets its own discussion thread).

Other thoughts -
general rule of thumb... get gear advice from older instructors/riggers/jumpers who have kept up with newer changes, and take with great skepticism recommendations from anyone who is selling their gear.

BEFORE buying used gear, get YOUR rigger to inspect/approve it. Having your rigger tell you that you just bought a deadly ragged out piece of sh!t is a real downer...

Just my $.02

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Thanks for the advice. Im going to use the rental gear for as long as I can before getting gear, although the 20$ jump price is a heck of a lot better than the 55$ now.

Im also definately going with used gear, although im horrible with decisions and will probably take forever to decide something so trivial as to what brand.

I was way off on how long the gear would last, I was guessing a couple hundred jumps but these numbers are much higher and much better B|!

David