DYEVOUT

PINZGAUER !! (cool 4x4)

So we're 4 wheelin' at http://www.paragonap.com/ last weekend, and we saw this little Dood.

It's a 1971 vintage Pinzgauer with 30k miles, in perfect shape.

I'd read about the little, Swiss military transport, but never saw one. It has a mid-mounted, air-cooled engine - 4 wheel independent suspension with offset geared hubs (like an H1 or Unimog) - and locking diffs at both ends.

Pretty capable little critter. The owner added the diamond plate "stripe", and the weird orange thing in the reciever, which killed his departure angle, and mostly acted as an excavator. :|

The guy had it imported through some outfit in Colorado for around 10k. I thought some of you 'wheelers might find it interesting. B|

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

actually the Pinzgauer is not swiss but Austrian...
The bestest 4x4 ever... Me loves it.
Quite rare to have a "hard" pinz bought by civilians, but loads of "soft" ones for sale...

Interesting thing : it climbs almost anything. In the users manual it is written that it climbs not to a certain amount of degrees of slope, but till the tires have adherence....
specifications in english

Just a couple of hints : as it uses a carburator and not injection, going down steep slopes will cut your engine off by lack of fuel supply to the engine. Actually you can go up steeper hills than drive down (with engine on). And to hit curbs really fast, you must lock the rear axle so that both rear wheels slide, if you don't lock the rear axle the inner wheel will loose contact with the road and therefore receive all the power. Also dont hit the brakes TOO hard (at least on soft ones, never tried it on a hard one), cause the rear will go up, and they can go high :)

My english might not be very good, specially with technical stuff, but I tried loads of stuff with these vehicles...

The 4x4 is my favorite, then the 4x4 hard version, the 6x6. Never got to try a Haflinger though...

And there is a baby Pinzgauer... the Haflinger
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Austrian built, but this particular little guy is a "retired" Swiss army radio truck - complete with dual rear shocks and a 24-volt electrical system.

I wonder how many countries used them ?

Thanks for the spec sheet - interesting little rig. B|

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Austrian built, but this particular little guy is a "retired" Swiss army radio truck

swiss army is getting rid of most of them...

good prices to buy them here. Every year in Thun there is a big auction sale, this year you could even buy Mirage fighter planes :S
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM