billydelgiudice

Leg straps - OUCH???

I've been a pilot for years and I've NEVER discounted something a new pilot would tell me.

What if that pilot, regardless of how experienced or otherwise they were, told you something that was wrong?

1. He's fresh to the material. I'd be stupid and unsafe to patronize him.

Where did I patronize anyone?

2. Every story has a lesson. If someone with less experience than I have can inform me of something from which I can learn, I'll be that much safer myself.

I totally agree. However, if someone makes a comment that I believe is wrong and warrants correcting, then I will say something. If this thread is anything to go by, there are other people who feel similarly.

Nobody said anything about Will's level of experience until he he brought it up and nobody started talking down to Will until he suggested they were and that he'd said nothing wrong.

Also, I dont appreciate the assumptions and rude remarks of your post. I am still new

A couple suggestions for ya then:

1) "maybe reading the post fully and not jumping to conclusions would be a good start."

Take your own advice. Grow a thicker skin. Don't assume that the words you read here are meant in the way you take them. In all likelihood, they were not.

2) You're new to the sport. This is the time to be asking questions about skydiving, not answering them. You'll gain much respect from other more experienced jumpers by doing so, and refraining from telling the world what someone else told you just may keep incorrect information from spreading.

That is so funny because it is so true. New jumpers (under 200?) do seem to regurgitate information they hear as true whether it's true or not because they don't know what they don't know. It seems a bit more prevalent here on (anonymous) DZ.com than in person.

Ok so your saying that maneuvering leg straps to be more comfortable under canopy is bad information and is wrong? I mean that is what this post was all about, and I gave very sound advice that was given to me, which I used and found it worked perfectly. What about that did I "not know"? I don't step in a and give people advice about wingsuiting, or base jumping, or piloting skills, because I dont know, and don't have enough experience, but when it is something I DO know, then I see no reason for not helping.

My little tid bit about not getting a new rig for your first, was derived from 1. Advice that was given to me by many experienced jumpers, and 2. The advice I see many experienced jumpers giving people on these forums, again what about what I said did I "not know"?

Man, the more I spend time on these forums, the more it just gets annoying. People just make it absolutely terrible to be a low jump number skydiver, and discount any and everything you know to nothing. What is it you have against new jumpers? You think low jump number has something to do with overall intellect? I may be new in skydiving, but I have great common sense, and a good head on my shoulders. I know when it would be inappropriate for me to give advice, many times I read a topic, digest it and move on, but when there are topics I can help out in, I do give some of the little info I DO know. Somehow though you've managed to find a problem with that.... :S

-Evo

My comment was a generic comment not directed at anyone in particular and not about any subject in particular. Try reading it again but don't read between the lines so much.

I stand by what I said. You seem awfully defensive for someone who is "right". Like it was said before, grow a thicker skin.

Well yes, obviously I would correct someone regarding factual information that would be empirical in nature. But empirical information is common ground for any of us regardless of experience level. I've heard plenty of 4 and 5 license-digit skydivers passionately give factually incorrect information, which was later proven wrong in the SIM.

I wasn't speaking about you patronizing anyone. Nothing direct there, sorry for the confusion. I'm making a general statement about those who seem to pat us little guys on the head like we're dumb to the world of skydiving.

Well yes, obviously I would correct someone regarding factual information that would be empirical in nature. But empirical information is common ground for any of us regardless of experience level. I've heard plenty of 4 and 5 license-digit skydivers passionately give factually incorrect information, which was later proven wrong in the SIM.

For sure. As I said,

What if that pilot, regardless of how experienced or otherwise they were, told you something that was wrong?

I'm making a general statement about those who seem to pat us little guys on the head like we're dumb to the world of skydiving.

It goes both ways. There are plenty of examples of poor behaviour in these forums from skydivers of all experience levels, new and experienced, young and old. In this particular circumstance, it was the novice skydiver who acted out first. He was also the first person to play the experience level card. Nobody told him to pull his head in or grow a thicker skin until he started getting out of joint over nothing. I don't think that's patronizing. In different circumstances it may have been, but in this instance, it was a response to earlier actions.

So I have a question on the leg strap topic. I also experience a good bit of leg pain under canopy. Im a little jumper, and still on rental gear (Im in the smallest harness we have). Well, my leg straps often slide down a good bit when Im in freefall (Im assuming this could be part of the problem, but I could be wrong). So when Im under canopy that little bit of inner thigh fat always get pinched and its really uncomfortable.... Everyone gave recommendations on how to slide the leg strap down, but is there an easy way to slide the strap back up the leg???

Some people choose to actually learn to fly a canopy

not with an "I'm that fucking good" attitude, will take at least a couple hundred jumps.

So you think remarks like that are just used in general term? They are not directed? Just said to be said? Like I said before I am not stupid, I didnt "act out of joint" for no reason. I am not the type of person to sit back and take it. I do not get emotionally abused by remarks like that, but I did find it annoying to be spoken to or even replied to in a manner that implies stupidity.

New jumpers (under 200?) do seem to regurgitate information they hear as true whether it's true or not because they don't know what they don't know

You'll gain much respect from other more experienced jumpers by doing so, and refraining from telling the world what someone else told you just may keep incorrect information from spreading.

So I acted out first with the experience card? What post are you getting your information from? Clearly it is implied in those messages that a new jumper doesn't know anything and should refrain from giving advice. I still stand by my example for a reason why someone shouldn't buy a new container for their first rig. It was told to me, by more than one person as a reason, and I didn't ever say it was the only reason. It is a valid point, clear and true.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Not sure if its still possible, but for my first few jumps (5 years go) someone suggested to buy some seatbelt covers for your car. (you know the 1/2-1" thick foam pads that velcro over the seatbelt so it doesn't dig into your neck)....buy 2 and stick one on each legstrap. Cheap fix for rental gear as it can be installed/taken off easily.

Also heard velco can be dangerous around a rig.

Any current skydivers thoughts on this? (I've been out for 5 years)

So you think remarks like that are just used in general term?

They were not commenting on you personally. You added that in yourself when you read it. They were commenting on what a typical downsizing progression might be in order to illustrate why your comment on downsizing was misguided.

So I acted out first with the experience card? What post are you getting your information from?

Try here.

New jumpers (under 200?) do seem to regurgitate information they hear as true whether it's true or not because they don't know what they don't know

You'll gain much respect from other more experienced jumpers by doing so, and refraining from telling the world what someone else told you just may keep incorrect information from spreading.

Clearly it is implied in those messages that a new jumper doesn't know anything and should refrain from giving advice.

Again you're reading things into those comments that just aren't there. Neither of those statements suggest that newbies know nothing. They are saying that you would do much better to give advice about things you really know about.

It was told to me, by more than one person as a reason, and I didn't ever say it was the only reason. It is a valid point, clear and true.

Therein lies the problem. You're not speaking about knowledge gained and/or validated by experience. You regurgitating something that you think you heard or read somewhere else. You haven't put this into practice for yourself, so how do you know that this is good advice? How do you know you understood it right? How do you that what you think you heard isn't just a little bit different that what you were actually told and perhaps not as right as you think it is?

. If you are starting on a 190, and buy a container to fit it, you'll be up a creek when you get down to 150 and will be needed to spend more money.

??

Most rigs out there that were built for a 190 will hold a 150 just fine.

Not every jumper is going to want to downsize rapidly. Some people choose to actually learn to fly a canopy at 1.0-ish before going smaller. This process, when done with an eye toward safety and not with an "I'm that fucking good" attitude, will take at least a couple hundred jumps.

If a newbie can't get 500 jumps out of their first rig, they are either downsizing way too fast or they bought a real P.O.S...

DAMN!! A voice of reason once again!!

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

. If you are starting on a 190, and buy a container to fit it, you'll be up a creek when you get down to 150 and will be needed to spend more money.

??

Most rigs out there that were built for a 190 will hold a 150 just fine.

Not every jumper is going to want to downsize rapidly. Some people choose to actually learn to fly a canopy at 1.0-ish before going smaller. This process, when done with an eye toward safety and not with an "I'm that fucking good" attitude, will take at least a couple hundred jumps.

If a newbie can't get 500 jumps out of their first rig, they are either downsizing way too fast or they bought a real P.O.S...

DAMN!! A voice of reason once again!!

I bought a used canopy and a new container. I love having fit and comfort of something custom made to me. I've put 150 jumps on my gear this season, with no plans to downsize in the near future.

I do agree that snippets of advice from a scattered collective can be less than benevolent. That said, intellect doesn't need to come from actual experience. I don't have to make 2,000 wingsuit jumps to understand the differences in the opening sequence.

Also, I think, given the original question I had in this post, it's silly to suggest AGAINST getting a custom container. I included a disclaimer regarding that because I knew someone would bring it up, but it may have been overlooked. Unless I find the exact container I want, and it fits perfectly, I absolutely am getting a custom container as my first and have no reason not to. To me, it's the one thing I should be spending the most money on - something that is made for my body, will hold my canopies, and will be my container for years. At no point soon (years) do I see myself wingloading up to the point of needing a smaller container. I'm already at 1.2 and feel no desire for anything cooler, faster, higher performance, more flashy, etc.

I'm not one of the independently wealthy we all see at the DZ buying new gear making 10 jumps a day. I'm scraping, and I think the container is a good place to put the bulk of the money. Well, an AAD isn't too shabby of an idea either.