AggieDave

Marriage and changing names

I've always had a particular distaste for hyphenated names....

Me too. My ex-fiance from 10 years ago had a Polish last name that was long and difficult to spell, but she insisted on keeping it and adding my last name with a hyphen. So I cut-away.

Now, my wife... also had a Polish last name, but couldn't stand it, so I married her. :D

Okay, those are not the reasons I dumped/married these women, but it fits the thread! :ph34r:

Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think changing names is a bit old fashioned - especially if one or both of you has spent considerable time and effort "making a name" for themselves in a career, etc.

I wouldn't change my name for someone - and I wouldn't expect them to change their name for me.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

"Morgan is taking my name, actually, she's excited about it and I'm honored that she'll take my name."

I look forward to meeting AggieMorgan some day.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

ugh! Changing your name is such a pain in the ass. There are many days when I wished my husband took mine! :S

Bills, creditors and even voting have been screwed up because of my name change... taken more than 2 years to clear it up too! [:/]

Jen
Arianna Frances

So, what last name would you then use for your kids?

"Goddamnit."

It makes since...

Get overhere John, Goddamnit!

:P

There for a while growing up, I thought my first name was "Damnit"....

"Damnit Mike.... "
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

my ex took my last name when we married, and kept it even after we got divorced and after she remarried!:S she claimed, alternatly, that it would confuse the kids, or that it was too difficult. she finally (7 years or so later) went back to her maiden name. my present wife also took my last name after we married (it was odd having two mrs. langille's around that i caused) and it took her no time at all to get everything changed. i was not as concerned about my wife taking my name as i was my kids having mine.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

When I got married, I took my husbands last name with pride, and at the time was exicted about loosing my maiden name for reasons, that I have since overcome and wont elaborate into. I have been married for 7 years, and am still hapily married...however I since re-added my maiden name into mine, since my dad is someone I am very proud of and I am proud to carry both names. However it is not set in stone that the bride to be must take her future husbands last name, I have heard of, no name change at taking place as well as the groom taking his brides name. It would be interesting to do some research into it to see where all of the practices got thier start and why.

BTW, congratulations to you an Morgan!;)

So, what last name would you then use for your kids?

I've thought about this quite a bit... and the only solution that I could come up with is: if we have a boy, he gets Rich's last name and if we have a girl then she gets my last name. Rich agrees that is the best answer, though I think I've pretty much decided I don't want to have children anyway.

I've always wondered what would happen when two people with hyphenated names get married.

Hyphenating names does not end the name debate - it only puts it off until the next generation. Be easy on your kids - make the choice for them.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

My fiance has a daughter with a woman he never married. His daughter has HIS last name, something he insisted on and her mom agreed to. Now, whenever we get around to getting married, I'm pretty sure I WON'T take his name, even in some hyphenated combination form. I have some very real practical reasons for that which go beyond the obvious inconvenience of changing IDs and professional identification, but I also never fully liked the concept. Its dated. By taking first your father's name, then your husband's, its like "ownership" is being transferred from one to another. Sorry- no one "owns" me. (Since I have father issues too, I've seriously considered taking my mother's maiden name! But all that name changing is too complicated for me anyway! IDs, credit cards, passports, title to my home? Major PITA!)

You very seldom hear of men changing their names after they get married. To me, it would be more symbolic if both the husband and wife changed their names to a combination of the two.

Sherrod and Lund wouldn't combine too well...:P

I view it as an honor and a binding commitment for the man. She took my name, its an honor. Its also binding the man into the commitment of being a good husband and possibly a good father, due to the trust involved in taking the man's name. Sure, that's the overall point of the commitment of marriage, I view last names the same way through the marriage process.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I really liked my maiden name, too. It rolled off the tongue so nicely (once you knew how to pronounce it :P)! I was happy to take Andy's last name for several reasons.

It's not really about about ownership or carrying on an antiquated tradition. It's symbolic of my starting and committing to a new life with him. And "Metcalfe" is a lot easier to spell and pronounce than "Vongkasemsiri"! :ph34r:

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)