JustaBill

An odd question I got asked

I was at the Red Cross today giving my usual pint of blood. The girls there know I skydive so they asked about it. I mentioned my less than graceful landing last time. Got asked the usual "Did you get hurt?" questions, then one of the girls asked "What would you have done if you had broken your leg?" The best answer I could come up with was "I'd lay there until the ambulance showed up" What kind of answer was she looking for. I figure I'd do the same thing in that situation as I would if I was crossing the street and got hit by a truck. Lay there and wait till an ambulance showed up.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

Hmm, a very interesting thought. What if you were landing out in less than favorable conditions and got injured on landing. Of course a skydivers first aid equipment is going to be improvised at best although I do carry my swiss army knife - I may yet MacGuyver my way out. But knowledge is power and a simple thing like trying not to move your leg if you suspect a femoural break, for example, might mean the difference between a shortish recovery period and lasting damage.

This is a subject that I'm surprised that I have overlooked and it is something that I intend to research further.

I agree that she probably meant would you go back to skydiving which really isn't something one can answer if the injury hasn't happened.

I find some skydiving questions asked of me to be strange. I've been asked twice, "Is it scary?" and that falls into that category. I guess that's what we get for having to tell the world what we do. :D
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

I had a pretty bad landing about 6 weeks ago. My helmet ripped off my head, went unconscious, got a concusion and scraped up. When I went back to work performing limited duties I was asked by a guy, "so, what happened to you? Are you all right? Is there any permanent brain damage?" Oh yeah, I had a labotomy because they couldn't save a part of my brain, and I'm sitting here talking to you, functioning normally. What was he thinking?

I was talking to my S&TA yesterday, and he knew of two females that had broken their spines on landing (I'm guessing just a vertabrae or something) and proceeded to undue their chest strap and roll out of their rig. :o The sad thing is that I'm sure I would be worried about getting my rig cut off too!

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF