ck29

Full face helmet sizing

Are helmet sizes (SM, M, LG) the same between open and full face helmets?

Pro-tec and other open face helmets sized medium(snowboarding etc) I've tried always fit best. When I tried a medium Z1 full face I couldn't get it on my head and when I tried a large Oxygen it had too much side to side play.

There are no large gear shops nearby where I can just try all sorts of brands and sizes so I was wondering if anyone had some tips regarding full face sizing. Does Z1 tend to fit smaller? I was convinced I could order a medium anything without much worry but now I'm not sure.

(particularly interested in the Cookie Gas)

I own helmets in size XS and size M that fit well - sizing varies a lot between brands and even between models in the same brand. Especially with a full face, you'll find that different helmets will fit different head shapes better. I would strongly recommend trying one on (by putting on a friend's at the DZ or while visiting a larger DZ or some manufacturers can send demos). If that's not possible, make sure to order something that's a stock color/size so you can return it if it doesn't work.

I was convinced I could order a medium anything without much worry but now I'm not sure.

You are right to worry! As pointed out, not only are not all 'M's the same size, importantly they're often not the same shape either.

It sounds like trying things on will be a hassle for you, but you should definitely find a way... skydiving helmets are, you will have noticed, stupidly expensive :P

(particularly interested in the Cookie Gas)

Best. Helmet. Evarrr.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Measure the circumference of your cranium and email the manufacturer of the helmet you are interested in, they will help you with sizing so when you order from a dealer it wont be a total shot in the dark.
Also the manufacturers website will probably have a sizing chart already/