antonija

Vector 3 container sizes

Is there a vector which takes both 170 reserve (PD reserve preferred) and 170 main with option to downsize to 150?

The _only_ V3 I found on UPTs sizing chart that can take 170 (full) and 150 (standard) is V348, but the reserve size in that one is 160 (PD R) (standard fit; nothing in "full" category). Other sizes either take bigger reserve but are made for 190-170 main or they are too small.

Is my only hope to wait for optimum reserve 176 or can UPT come up with a container that will match my request? (And I do believe it is a simple request: container for 170 main and reserve with ability to go one size smaller on main)

Rant
Interestingly enough is the number of sizes (4) that can fit 130-150 main with all flavors of reserves. I feel a bit left out by having only one 150-170 rig with small(ish) reserve.
/Rant
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

What about having a look at other brands than Vector?

Have a look at these:

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/fly/products/iconSizes.asp

The I5 fits your specifications, and the Smart is a really good reserve.

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

What 170 reserve are you talking about? PD, Aerodyne or Tempo do not make a 170. Tempo make a 178, Smart make a 175 and PD make a 176.
160 PD will probably be the right reserve for you. remember a reserve is seven cells and made to be alot more doscile. IM willing to bet your instructor will have said to you go find a 170 reserve and 170 main, but he was not thinking correctly. If you go back and ask about a 160 reserve he will give you the green light. I guess this because of the combination you have been given the go ahead to look for. So do check with him, but,

PD make a 176 and Aerodyne make a 175 which actually packs larger than a PD reserve.
I sell alot of UPT containers and aerodyne products and the 348 will be very good for you. Have you spoken to your instructor about jumping a PD 160 reserve. most of my customers who are new at the sports and weigh around 65 kgs-70kgs will go for the PD160 reseerve.

You should see if your instructor says this will be ok for you, i am sure it will if they have told you to find a container made for a 170 with movement down to a 150 in the near future.

If you want to send me an email at [email protected] UPT and myself could work with you on your order as they do not sell direct to the public but they will help you with your requirements. Only say this because it is obvious you do not have a dealer helping you out

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I read about reserve sizes on this forum and in every thread some one asked why manufacturers put smaller numbers on their reserves compared to "proper" size. The reply is always that manufacturers' numbers should be the relevant one and if you're not comfortable flying canopy of that size (160 sqft in case of PD 160 even if the canopy itself is bigger) buy something bigger.

My instructor told me to look for 170 main/170 reserve container which I understood as "170 reserve or the next bigger size that is available" (not smaller one).

It would be very easy if I had a chance to demo few reserve canopies but that option is not available to me. Even with mains I have to find someone with that canopy and ask him if I can jump it.

And no, I do not have a dealer yet mainly because I'm the younger geekier generation and I do my own research first (if possible) and just buy the stuff from dealer. But when I decide exactly what to buy (and my instructor confirms it) then I will definitely consider few dealers to get the best price/service for the rig. But it will be at least a month or so before I start placing orders so I'm not in a hurry yet.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Just ask your instructor as well about the PDR 160

Only ever take advice from these forums once you have your instructor agree that advice is right as every jumper behind a keybpard including myself has a different opion. It is only your instructor who knows you though.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Also consider the Icarus Reserve 169 as that would fit in the V348 as that also packs a bit smaller.

So my mistake, I forgot about the Icarus 169 reserve. that would be ideal for you if you want to buy the more viable V348.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I recently saw a V348 with a pd176 reserve. We compared my V348 with it as the jumper thought my pd160 was too loosly packed and did not look nice.

I think Bigways advice is worth listening to. 160 PD will probably be the right reserve for you