Jib

Change Religions for Love

Im not religious, but I feel I am spiritual... I wouldnt stop being with someone jsut because of their religion. I wouldnt become a certain religion for someone though.... you cant do that for other people..it has to be for yourself

-yoshi

Not sure until I actually am put into the situation. I really do not think that I would fall in love with somebody who would be so hardcore into their own religion that they would want me to join. I would never expect my SO to join my church. I don't attend church at the current moment, but if I ever did go back, I would go to the one I grew up in. I can never see myself changing my religion. If my SO did not agree with that, then he didn't love me in the first place.

Sometimes having 2 different religions in a relationship can be really tough, but you just have to know how to deal with it. It is possible for 2 people to think differently about religion. I just don't see myself being with someone who is so hardcore about their religion that they would want me to change.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

This arose from tongue in cheek comments by two friends of mine that have never even dated. He said let's get married and she said are you going to convert.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I don't practice "organized religion", and I don't think I would start for anyone. I generally consider myself a Christian, because my spiritual beliefs are closely tied to theirs. Jason and I have very different views on religion - I am and he's not. We don't preasure eachother to change. It just works the way it is.

I've actually thought about this because I was once in a serious relationship with someone who was of a different religion. It wasn't important to HIM if I converted and most of his family was OK with me also, but his brother (a rabbi) HATED the fact that I was Catholic and probably wouldn't have had anything to do with us if we got married. (No great loss IMO! But it does suck being a position to come between the guy you love and his family!) I would not have converted because I feel pretty strongly that embracing a new religion is a very big deal, and it shouldn't be done just "for a guy"!

I'm not religious and don't care what religion a significant other espouses, however I would likely leave any woman who demanded that I join her religion in order to be with her.

That said, changing religions for love seems like a somewhat oxymoronic phrase. A religion is a set of beliefs that a person subscribes to. If the beliefs are so shallow that the person can change them at will, then are they really members of that religion in the first place?

If a Christian man is willing to convert to Judaeism in order to marry his lover, was he really a Christian? If a person can switch from believing that Mohammed was the prophet of god to believing that Jesus was the son of god just because they "want to", can they really make the case that they truly believe either of those?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

With one exception, the people I've known who have converted were not religious in their former religions, nor are they in their new ones. (One who converted to Judaism still insists on a Christmas tree, and they attend Christmas celebrations with her family!) They converted only for their "significant other", or more importantly, for the family of their "significant other"! And it does seem pretty hypocritical to me!

I have been seeing this woman lately and she asked me the other day if I was going to try and convert her to Christianity and if I minded that she is a witch. I told her I don't really believe in the witch thing, but as long as she's a good witch, it's ok with me. I'm a little worried though cause I'm bound to piss her off and I don't need any jacked-up hex put on me.

I have been seeing this woman lately and she asked me the other day if I was going to try and convert her to Christianity and if I minded that she is a witch. I told her I don't really believe in the witch thing, but as long as she's a good witch, it's ok with me. I'm a little worried though cause I'm bound to piss her off and I don't need any jacked-up hex put on me.

Okay, ftr I am not a witch, a good Irish girl here...;) but for the most part friends I have who are really into to that firmly believe in the karma thing too. The idea where if you do evil it comes back on yourself 3x as strong. Rest easy, odds are she won't ever want to suffer worse than she wants to make you suffer if things go South.:P
Please feel free to reply to my posts and pm's, but only if you're smart enough to understand what they really mean.

I have who are really into to that firmly believe in the karma thing too.

See, ...I need to get out more, cause I don't have any other friends who say they are witches. I really thought she was kidding at first. Go figure, ...a witch.

Would you change religions for love?

First- I would have to be religious to know how I would answer.
I do know I would separate from a relationship in which my SO had converted to JW. Tolerating a secular world view is extremely difficult for someone who has internalised Watch Tower doctrines.

SMiles;)

no.

i thought about it.

i was pretty agnostic most of my life. after i married, i started attending synagogue with my wife and her family. after a few years (4?) i began getting interested in judaism. the history, antiquity, customs became very appealing. i was baptised lutheran but never could quite stomach the three deities concept or the "some guy as savior" thing. i HATED the thought of praying to a guy.

after learning quite a bit by osmosis, i decided to look into conversion, kinda as a ?gift? to my wife. the conversion course was about a year in length. during that time, it became obvious to me that conversion for -someone else- was wrong. religion and your relationship with g-d is a very personal thing and should only be done for -yourself-.

anyway, during that year, it became something i wanted to do -for me-.

some of my reasons - the traditions, the antiquity (knowing that we still say prayers that are ~3000 years old). i like not having a man to pray to - that never sat well with me. i like knowing that, unlike most xtian religions, i -can- talk directly to g-d, i don't need some church appointed lackey telling me that i can only talk to g-d through him. i don't like the way the xtians go around trying to convert everyone and telling how they found a personal relationship with jesus... so what? i get to talk to g-d directly! and there's no "sacred place" where you have to go to be in g-ds' presence - the synagogue, while used as a place to gather and pray, is not "holy" in any special way - it's just a place where people gather to pray. synagogue actually means "school" and is more correctly thought of as a social or community center.

plus, we don't have revival meetings and don't have to go door to door looking for lost souls...

anyway... my suggestion - DO NOT convert or change for someone else. what you can do is learn the customs and be respectful of them.

my $.02...
Michael Hart

The other question is "Will your S/O's religion let you convert for that reason?" I can't speak for other religions, but Judaism won't; your decision to convert needs to be about the relationship between you and God and nobody else (for that matter, the Rabbinic council in charge of your conversion is required to seriously *discourage* you at least three times to ensure that you're serious); which is not to say that falling in love with somebody of another faith hasn't given a lot of people perspective on religions they ordinarily wouldn't have considered... but the final decision needs to be your own.

blues.
W

----------------------------------------
'Of course it hurts. The trick is not *minding* that it hurts.'
- T.E. Lawrence

Being an atheist, I have found it to be pretty much impossible to have a relationship with anyone who is not an atheist too. I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me. I have plenty of friends who are not atheists, and that has never been a problem... but in a serious relationship, it seems to be a big issue (in my experience).