Erin84

How do I shop for a 1st rig? And advice on a specific rig, please.

Feel free to answer straight up with advice, or to send me to a link with info, whatever works best.

Additionally, I have a rig in mind that I might buy, but I'm really not sure if it's right for me. I'm 5'5, 110 pounds (not with gear on). Seller is 5'4, average weight for a female. I have nine jumps right now, but will have 15-20 by the end of the weekend, on a 190 main. The Cypres needs its four-year stuff done, so I'd have to ship it off for that, and would have a couple extra weeks of practice on the 190 before I could jump my own rig. I've been talking with the seller and she's given me a ton of info on the gear. Advice?

Rig = Sunpath Javelin, ~250 jumps
I don't know what any of this means:
Container size J1, Yoke A, Harness 14, Lateral 20, Legpad 23. Help?

The main is a Sabre 120, ~100 jumps. I know that's not a good main for me right now, but was thinking of buying a used 150 of some sort and downgrading to that instead of the 190 I'm on now. Is that too big a difference? (I'm super new at this... Don't hate me if my questions all seem dumb!)

Res is a PD 143, used once.

Total asking price is $2,600.

I feel like she's been very open and trustworthy, but I have a hard time buying things off the internet as opposed to buying in-person, and would like additional opinions. Especially since I'm so new... Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Look here: http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

Consider your exit weight/Canopy size, and your jump #'s. This should generally not be over 1.0 pounds per square foot. As Brian says, the scale is not linear, so I would suggest checking with an instructor, not skipping sizes, and get with a canopy coach or mentor. And remember, I'm just a doofball on the interwebz, so take what I say for what it's worth. $0.02 ;)

Oh, and HAVE FUN!!!

PULL!! or DIE!!

Additionally, I have a rig in mind that I might buy, but I'm really not sure if it's right for me. I'm 5'5, 110 pounds (not with gear on).
Container size J1, Yoke A, Harness 14, Lateral 20, Legpad 23. Help?

you are on the very edge of the A14 harness, depending on your build, it may be a ltitle tight, but still usable.

As far as $2600 pricetag- depends heavily on the DOM of the gear. If it'sa modern Javelin Odyssey with a modern PDR143 and a Sabre2-120, then it's a good price, otherwise depending on the vintage it may be an ok deal to a overpriced gear.

For what it's worth, here are a few points to consider. First, it's real important to get a harness that fits you. It sounds like that one would, but you need to be sure. Either get yourself measured by someone at your dropzone who knows what they are doing, or find someone with a harness/container like the one you're considering and be sure it will really fit.
Second, you probably don't need to be using a 120 now. A 150 would probably be okay soon, but, as Chubba said, talk to your instructors about what size canopy to get. The issue here is that a main big enough for you might not fit in that container. The information you provided would tell you how big a main it can hold, but frankly, I'm not going to look it up right now. You can get one of your local riggers to look it up, or email the manufacturer.
The fact that the Cypres needs a 4-year is not a big deal, but that should be considered in the price. The last one I sent off took 3 weeks to get back.
You can usually get a local rigger or the dropzone owner to act as an intermediary to check the gear before you send payment. Ask about this at your dropzone.
Last, don't jump on the first thing you see. There will be other good deals out there. Make sure you get the right gear for you. Don't get something that's almost right just because you're anxious to get something.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Alot of great points already. All add a couple of things- being a smaller jumper, you're going to have a harder time finding a harness that fits you well.

Especially with your first rig, when your canopies will be on the larger side, and you're still on the smaller side. You need a medium sized container and a small harness, not an easy combo to find.

One of the rules of thumb when buying gear is to buy what you can safely jump today. A 150 might be a little fast for you at your level. For various technical reasons, lighter jumpers need to err on the side of lighter WL than jumpers closer 'average' weight (175-ish).

Here's a couple of ideas, first off, enlist the help of a local rigger in hunting down some gear. You need a rigger to inspect any used gear before you buy, so bring them into the process a little early to help you locate some good gear.

Second, try to downsize to a smaller canopy before you buy, but only when you are actually ready. Enlist one of your instructors to help you through this process with advice on things to work on, and to watch your landings and help you make the call as to when to try a 170. Don't go at this alone.

If you get stuck on a 170, then buy a rig that will hold a 170. When you're ready for a 150, you can often sell the 170 and use the proceeds to buy a used 150, so it costs nothing. As plus, the rig will get easier to pack as well.

Third, for your first rig, where you need a little harness, and a rig that can hold a 150 or 170 (you want it to fit comfortably so you can easily pack the thing), you might want to consider resizing the harness. It will add about $200 to the price, but will be well worth it to have the container you need with a harness built just for you. Again, work on this with your new rigger pal.

Last point, make sure you have some shorty risers to go with the rig. It's nice to be able to reach your slider and toggles with no trouble. Maybe even order a new set when you get your rig, custom made for you.

I feel like she's been very open and trustworthy, but I have a hard time buying things off the internet as opposed to buying in-person, and would like additional opinions. Especially since I'm so new... Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

being as you're in CA. and with the # of DZs there you should be able to find something you can buy in person pretty easily. get with your local rigger and instructors and tell them you're looking for your 1st rig. and ask them to put the word out to riggers and instructors they know in the area. offer them a case of beer or a finders fee.

best of luck on find your 1st rig
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

I have a hard time buying things off the internet as opposed to buying in-person

You jump at Skydive San Diego? You have more in-person gear resources available to you than most other jumpers do.

Go talk to Bonnie at Gravity Gear, or go up to Perris or Elsinore and talk to the folks at Square One. If they don't have something that will work for you, they can at least answer your questions.