g3ninfinite

Canopy down sizing

Just thought I should point out as others have wrongfully pointed out, that the OP has not stated anything about purchasing new canopies. He is simply currently talking about a Vector/Micron. Although everyone is touting "buy used" there is no need of it. I'm sure he had been told, and has read, and has the common sense that used = cheaper.

If the OP has the money, a custom fit, properly sized container could last him for a long time. I've had my first container for 400 jumps and should have it for a while yet, I don't know why everyone says after 100 jumps you'll want/need a new container.

Nice to see you're taking some advice, good luck :)

this is definitely the case. While Im not swimming around in money, I do make decent money and I PREFER to buy things new. Sure I could save some money, but I wouldn't really be happy with my money spent. Plan is to go NEW container that will fit 190 down to 170, NEW AAD, NEW RES and used Main. Thanks blink.

Just thought I should point out as others have wrongfully pointed out, that the OP has not stated anything about purchasing new canopies. He is simply currently talking about a Vector/Micron.

Actually his comment wasn't that specific at all. If someone tells me that they're looking to buy a complete system and that they only prefer to buy new, that to me sounds like they're planning to buy all new kit.

If the OP has the money, a custom fit, properly sized container could last him for a long time. I've had my first container for 400 jumps and should have it for a while yet, I don't know why everyone says after 100 jumps you'll want/need a new container.

You're right. If you're smart about what you buy, a container could last through two downsizes on the main canopy, but nowhere has anyone suggested that you'll need a new container after 100 jumps. The comment has been made, however, to get a couple hundred jumps under your belt before you buy new. There's a significant difference there.

Getting a couple hundred jumps before you splash out and get new gear give you the chance to figure out a few things, first.

• Are you here for the long haul, or are you just a tourist passing through. I've seen a bunch of people go through the student program in the past 4 years. None of them thought they'd be done with it within a year, yet a significant number of those people are no longer skydiving. After a couple hundred jumps, you should have a little better idea of whether or not you're a tourist.

• What gear do you really want/need? When I had 19 jumps, I barely knew all the options that there were for me in the sport, let alone what options I wanted to pursue. I also had no real knowledge of gear from experience. Until you get out there and start wearing, flying and packing the gear, you're really just guessing what you really want and as you do start to get some experience, you may figure out that your early guesses at the right gear really don't fit what you want as well as you thought it would back when you didn't know what you wanted.

• Basically, at 19 jumps, you don't even know what you don't know. You're not even in a position to guess with any real confidence. A couple hundred jumps is nothing to do with the first downsize or any need for new gear. It's about developing the knowledge and experience required to start making a more informed decision on what gear you really want or need.

If you buy used now and it turns out that what you thought you wanted really is you, it's no big deal. New gear will always be there and since you bought used and looked after your gear, you can sell it to recover most of your money once your new gear arrives.

If you buy new now and then 6 months from now discover that skydiving is not for you, or that a Storm really isn't well suited to the kind of canopy flying that you want to do, you can still sell the gear, but you're going to take a much bigger loss when you do so.

People are merely trying to save the OP some money. If the OP has bunches of cash then yes, they're welcome to spend it however they choose. The reasoning for buying used is quite solid but only if cost is a concern.

Targeting a particular canopy size as your first before you even know what kind of canopy pilot you are could just be a waste of money if you're lucky. It's also a fairly serious safety concern.

Please don't confuse the two types of advice being given here as they're totally different.

I was just like you. At about 28 jumps i ordered a brand new V348 Sab2 170 and a Pd160 plus a new cypress. Got it at jump 78. I dont regret it one bit! After it came in i still rented the DZ's sab 2 170 to try it out. As a matter of fact i ended up buying another exact rig like this (just with diff. colors) at around 200 jumps cause i was doing alot of back to back loads. I have since down sized to a sab2 150 and prob. at the begining of next year will go to a 135. All with the same sized container. If you dont down size to fast it can last you a long time! If its what you want then go for it! Enjoy man!

Btw i think you are very smart to go with the 176 op. rather than the pd 160!
    Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!