Vallerina

The vegetarian thing

*Disclaimer* We've already had the argument about it, so I'm not here to battle it out. I just wanted to give an update because there are lots of other people who are interested in doing it.

Okay, if I can do it, anyone can! I don't cook. I'm not a huge fan of vegetables. I love spicy food. I don't like most Asian foods. Me being a vegetarian seems darn near impossible! Well, I have eaten fish on random occassions (about once a month...Hey! I need it around my periods!) So, I guess I haven't been a true vegetarian, but I'm cutting back on fish, too (it's a gradual process.)

How I've gotten by:
-Portabella mushroom sandwiches
-Onions and garlic on vegetables (which I'm eating more of)
-Whole Foods Market (which sells really awesome products...like Amy's Spicy Organic Chili....it's really really really good!)
-Soup (I've always liked soup, though! Now, it's my main lunch)
-Chocolate soy milk (it tastes good and has protein)

I haven't had any really strong meat cravings....except when I see hot wings and beer. I do miss that. If you're thinking about doing it, I say go for it. I haven't noticed myself getting any more tired (except around my periods.) Actually, I don't really "feel" any different at all. I haven't had to spend much more money to go vegetarian (although, I will spend the few extra pennies to buy things organically grown.)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Well, the jumpers were sitting around the campfire at Skydive Houston last weekend, toasting marshmallows on sticks. One fellow, a vegetarian, refused to participate because "marshmallows contain gelatin".

By gosh, that's going too far!

No one should deny themselves the pleasure of a hot, golden-brown marshmallow, toasted over the glowing coals of a campfire, with a gathering of friends...

P.S. Marshmallows are comprised of four things: sugar, corn syrup, water and gelatin. Sugar comes from sugar cane - a plant. Corn syrup comes from corn - a plant. Water comes from... well, water just "is" - surely vegetarians don't object to water! And the gelatin comprises just a tiny 2% of the total.

So toast dem 'mallows, vegetarians!

im trying to become a mostly vegetarian.i had angioplasty last week and my dr. wants me to as he put it."almost become a vegetarian"i love red meat and salt and those 2 have to go so i have been eating salads,soups,beans,and the like.guess its better than having things run up my femoral artery.the chest pain was a real bitch too.

Well, the jumpers were sitting around the campfire at Skydive Houston last weekend, toasting marshmallows on sticks. One fellow, a vegetarian, refused to participate because "marshmallows contain gelatin".

By gosh, that's going too far!

I went 8 years without eating things that contained geletin (which comes from the lining of pigs stomach)... its not that hard, and one shouldn't be ridiculed for that.

Being vegetarian is a choice - and a darn good one if you can stick with it and eat what your supposed to. I loved being a lacto-ovo vegetarian, gave me a good food appreciation.

Jen
Arianna Frances

I just started this week, but I still eat fish and seafood..... Your thread came in right on time for me. Thanks Val...
I know it's gonna be hard now during the holidays, with all the yummy yummy non vegetarian food around.... But I can do it!!!:)

MEN: you can't live with 'em, you can't shoot 'em, but you can act psychotic and keep 'em off balance.
HISPA #10

Being a vegetarian for 20 years (I do eat fish sometimes), hasn't lowered my cholesterol at all....
And it hasn't stopped me from gaining weight (beer is vegetarian, right?)

I love the smells of bbq ribs and so on, but I don't miss the steaks and hotdogs....I ate enough of those to last me a lifetime anyway!

Whole Foods is coming to Sarasota. True they have a great selection....but why is 'natural food' so expensive??:S

Marc

Being a vegetarian for 20 years (I do eat fish sometimes), hasn't lowered my cholesterol at all....
And it hasn't stopped me from gaining weight (beer is vegetarian, right?)

I love the smells of bbq ribs and so on, but I don't miss the steaks and hotdogs....I ate enough of those to last me a lifetime anyway!

I was about to type my whole story, but I think this sums it up!! I'm only 15 years on to the veggie thing, but you're right...it hasn't stopped anything else from happening. (could also be the 5+ years in New Zealand I spent eating almost everything fried!:S)

GO VEGGIE....IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE!!!B|

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

OH, and are there any "MOSTLY" veggie dzs anywhere??

Here in GA if you don't eat meat....you pretty much don't eat (when they have cook-outs at the dz). Just wondering if there are any dz's I can 'happen' onto that will surprise me and my diet??

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Good for you. Are you taking any supplements like Omega 3 fatty acids or flax seed oil?

-Whole Foods Market (which sells really awesome products...like Amy's Spicy Organic Chili....it's really really really good!)

Isn't Whole Foods great. There's one by my work and I aways get lunch there. Try the three bean chili, it's so damn good.

Are you taking any supplements like Omega 3 fatty acids or flax seed oil?

If you vary your diet enough, you don't need these. Flax seed is easy enough to add to salads, yogurt or stews.

As far as great recipes, Vegetarian Times has great stuff. Dunno if they have a website that lists recipes or not, but it was a great magazine to read. Gets you to try some really funky, and good tasting stuff! :)
Good luck Val!

Jen
Arianna Frances