Sangi

Parasport "Altitron"

So while browsing the new ParaGear mag I came across this digital altimeter, which looks really nice, since it shows 4 digits, perfect for meter use, because it would show full 4500 meters, while Viso2 only shows 3 digits from what I've seen..

http://www.paragear.com/templates/base_template.asp?group=5#I11880

Anyone using it, opinions?
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I`m using it.
it has a heavy and strong plastic casing. the display is by far better to read than the Viso1. I`m using it, chest mounted, for swooping / in free-fall together with the Optima (as acoustic altimeter), and it is as accurate as the Optima or Viso.
after 35 jumps, I think it is a good product, but the manual could be better.

The one and only altitron i jumped was defective: it read 800ft wrong in the plane so I disregarded it in freefall, it did tell me when I was entering my pattern under canopy that I was at 4k.

Parasport Italia makes nice helmets and suits, however customer service is non-existant and their altis and beepers have never been as good as other brands'. I'd go for a L&B or Alti2 product anyday.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I never used a digital altimeter, but from what I saw in the pictures, vids and in real life for example Viso2 shows only 3 digits, so when I would set it to meters, it would only accurately display the alti below 1000 meters..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Which is all you need. Too many digits (like alti watches) make it more confusing to process while in freefall, and +/- 50ft wouldn't make a difference anyway. The Neptune (and I presume other digital altis too) can be set to display more digits when you're under canopy, which is when more digits do matter.

ciel bleu,
Saskia